Oil for Kubota L2501

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic in either 5w-40 or 0w-40
(look at Advanced Auto for 0w-40)

The difference between CJ-4 and CK-4 was a tweak to the additives for diesel particulate filters, you don't have one, so CJ if you can find it.

An economy choice would be T5 in 10W-30, but the cost difference is only a few bucks...

Oil filter is Wix 51515, or Fram XG8a, look at RockAuto...

Last edited:
What is hard to decipher? Use a 5W-40 is you run the tractor in the Winter and if you only run it in the Summer a 15w-40 would be the better choice. I run a 5W-40 year round because I change the oil yearly and use the tractor year round.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
At $20.xx a gallon for Kubota oil, I'd rather look into cheaper alternatives.
I am having a heck of a time deciphering the manual. The engine does not have any emissions equipment.
Pages 49 and 50 discuss engine oil.
https://kubota.ca/getmedia/1e3d2402-3033-431b-a5bb-e8e115247ab9/L2501-OPS-EN-TC55019711?ext=.pdf

Oil weight as in 0W.... is not the only criterium, type of use is also very important. If you use it for duties that make the engine really work a heavier grade may be better suited, like a 15W40 or 50

Originally Posted by CT8
What is hard to decipher?

I think the OP was unsure because the OEM never stated a grade, just a category.

Originally Posted by BrianF
The manual states 30 weight. Find a good 5w or 10w30 that's cheap.

Well there you go! You're right.
It's was right there on page 48.
Good eyes.

Originally Posted by 65f100
Mobil Delvac 15W-40 with the $7 per gallon rebate would serve you well.

This! ^^

Any good 15W-40 HDEO, especially with a rebate, will serve you well.

If you plan to park it outside and use it during winter a lot, don't be afraid to go with a good 5W-40 HDEO.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats

Oil filter is Wix 51515, or Fram XG8...

Kubota and Toyota - - both very smart in choosing "The most common oil filter in the entire world"

Originally Posted by CT8
What is hard to decipher?

The different API specs.

Last edited:
Kubota likes to confuse the issue with API specs for their diesel engines. I see they still have the idiotic wording, "The CJ-4 engine oil is intended for DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) type engines, and cannot be used on this tractor." Maybe that's where Ford learned to be confusing, but I digress. CJ-4 is part of history, let alone CI-4. We've been through this before, and Dave Newton and Doug Hillary have commented on it. The consensus basically was that Kubota has engines undergoing a wide variety of usage patterns with wildly varying fuel and oil qualities around the world. In an attempt to protect those who aren't so lucky with fuel and lubricant quality, they've overcomplicated the matter for everyone. Run any CJ-4 or CK-4 lubricant you prefer in the viscosity suitable for your operating temperature range, with a 10w-30 being suitable for all temperatures.

Look at the mention of SAE 20 and the talk about CF and tell me that they've done a lot of work to modernize their recommendations.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak

Look at the mention of SAE 20 and the talk about CF and tell me that they've done a lot of work to modernize their recommendations.
wink.gif

Yes, I noticed that one....
crazy2.gif

Like really, who is going to seek something that's CF only for a diesel engine. As it was, that kind of garbage was what pushed HDEO specs to tighten up in the first place. The T4 you use in your Blazer will be just fine. Technically, so would the M1 0w-40 being A3/B4, albeit more costly. There's even a CF there, I think.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Mobil delvac 1 5w40. I get it at oreilly for $27 a gallon plus XOM has a $13 per gallon rebate going on.......
I like it so far...... but any flavor will work from what I have seen. My motorhome has never had anything but free tractor oil in it and it's a ISM11

Originally Posted by Garak
Like really, who is going to seek something that's CF only for a diesel engine. As it was, that kind of garbage was what pushed HDEO specs to tighten up in the first place. The T4 you use in your Blazer will be just fine. Technically, so would the M1 0w-40 being A3/B4, albeit more costly. There's even a CF there, I think.
wink.gif

I didn't realize CF was a listed spec on M1 0w40. I stand corrected in a somewhat recent thread where a guy asked if a Euro 0w40 could be used in his Kubota engine and I recommended 15w40.

Thank you everyone for the clarification. As said earlier, the specs were what was a bit misleading. Unfamiliar (outdated) specs with the mention of emissions equipment made it that much more confusing for me. Viscosity and what to use in what temperature was very clear in the manual so I'll probably run a 15w40 with a Kubota filter for now. The oil change interval is 400 hours. Not sure if the manual says to, but I'm planning on changing it yearly regardless of hours because I'll never come close to that. The first oil change is at 50 hours and that might be a year from now... Lol.

Last edited:
I have run 10w-30 dino HDEO in my Kubie for more than a decade. UOAs show no issues. It's good year round in IN, where the OP and I are both at.
Honestly, most Japanese tractor engines really don't care about what you run, as long as they are a decent API HDEO; grade does not matter either.
Don't overthink this. If you knew how badly little ag tractors are abused in third-world places, with just about any lube known to man going into the crankcase, you'd not worry in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back