Texas Refinery Grease

I'm not sure what type of grease it is but I have used it before. I was given a couple tubes of the 880 grease a few years back and it was a good grease. It worked well in everything I used it in and was very water resistant. If it was more readily available I would still be using it.

Jeremy, if memory serves me correctly- which it may very well not- I was thinking the 880 was a calcium hydroxy base while the paragon 3000 was a calcium-lithium complex? Could have that all wrong tho. Watcha doin with it that the soap matters? Although at the time, the schaffers I was using was the best I had tried, ive been quite happy since switching to the 880. Not knocking the schaffers, but not goin back until I can no longer get the trc

Originally Posted by Jddan
Jeremy, if memory serves me correctly- which it may very well not- I was thinking the 880 was a calcium hydroxy base while the paragon 3000 was a calcium-lithium complex? Could have that all wrong tho. Watcha doin with it that the soap matters? Although at the time, the schaffers I was using was the best I had tried, ive been quite happy since switching to the 880. Not knocking the schaffers, but not goin back until I can no longer get the trc

I only wanted to ensure the soap was cross-compatible with existing grease in case the two were to get mixed in say a U joint or similar.

gotcha. I can check tonight when I get home but it seems the 880 played nice with almost everything. Will try to let you know in morning unless someone else can chime in?

Originally Posted by jeremy_283
Originally Posted by Jddan

I only wanted to ensure the soap was cross-compatible with existing grease in case the two were to get mixed in say a U joint or similar.

Unless it is a ploy urea base most common greases are compatable. Usually poly urea greases say fairly plainly that they are poly urea and not compatable with anything.

Paragon is very compatible with all greases. It has a Calcium- Lithium Complex Thicker Type. Truly a Multi-Purpose grease that can handle problems with High Heat

High Water Contamination and also extreme Pressure. Replaces most Greases.

880 Crown and chassis is Great also.

if you have any questions feel Free to call them 800 827 0711

See if you can get them to tell you the load wear index numbers for the paragon and 880 products. I couldnt get anyone to cough up those figures.

If you ever wanted a "waterproof" grease, the paragon has an impressive water washout of 0.5% i believe...and thats at the higher of the two temps that test can be done at iirc.

Cgates, I guess I'm not familiar with that name- load wear index. Care to enlighten me as to what that is? Always lookin to learn something new...

"very compatible with all greases" is quite a claim. I'm not sure that's true. Compatibility relates to thickener, additives and base fluid.

When transitioning from one grease to another, compatibility testing should be considered in order to minimize risk.

I don't know anything about the greases, but it does amuse me that "Texas Refinery Corporation", who manufactures that grease doesn't have an actual refinery within about 125 miles of where they're located, and the closest one is actually in Oklahoma, not Texas.

I use Mystic Synthetic. 225,000 miles on my original ball joints on my 3/4 ton. That and Mobil 1 synthetic, that was getting a bit messy in the summer as most people have found.
Until I can find some Mystic Synthetic I'll have to stick with the red JT6, I really like Mystic greases

Back