Types of Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Wear is defined as the progressive loss of substance/material resulting from various actions.

Name Five (5) types of Wear:

This question is NOT open to Chemists, Formulators, Tribologists, or any Engineering discipline.

How about mechanical wear in an engine? As in wear created by two surfaces interacting?

By-products of combustion would create some sort of chemical wear (?) re: the oil oxidizing.

How about the "wear and tear" on BITOG members as they seek the absolute best oil, filter, sale, or rebate? ...

Friction, abrasion, corrosion, adhesion, scuffing? that is all I have. The dog ate my notes Professor Mola.

Originally Posted by CT8

Friction, abrasion, corrosion, adhesion, scuffing? that is all I have. The dog ate my notes Professor Mola.

Excellent start, you have three out of your five correct: abrasion, corrosion, adhesion.

Now what are the remaining two?

that is the only 3 things I know .I don't know if Spalling or fretting would be proper . I probably should have looked the other kinds of wear..

Does two body abrasion and three body abrasion count as two types or are they both considered one type under the general term "abrasion?"

Is fatigue one of them? What about fretting?

That is the only 3 things I am confident to answer . I don't know if Spalling or fretting would be proper . I probably should have looked up the other kinds of wear.. I have taken years and years of continuing auto tech classes and the only class that got into wear was the Helicopter maintenance class .

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Wear is defined as the progressive loss of substance/material resulting from various actions.

Name Five (5) types of Wear:

This question is NOT open to Chemists, Formulators, Tribologists, or any Engineering discipline.

1. Adhesive wear is brought about when two objects are in sliding contact. Asperities can get sheared off. Asperities are then dragged around until they attach themselves to another surface.

2. Tribo-Chemical Wear results when chemicals - either introduced by the lubricant, or injected from the outside (as in OTC additives), or formed during operation, react with the surface of the equipment. This reaction weakens the surface and makes the surface more vulnerable to other wear types.

3. Corrosive Wear - is wear brought about by the corrosive nature of something in the lubricant. Corrosive wear usually increases as the TAN increases. Corrosive wear may have started with Tribo-Chemical Wear.

4. Abrasive Wear occurs when the oil contains hard, particulate matter such as abrasive soots or dirt particles. Abrasive material can cause damage damage to sliding surfaces.

5. Pitting wear is created by cyclic loading which can weaken the surface due to localized stresses. Gouges or scrapes from the surface remove surface material and may open the deeper layers for further Tribo-Chemical Wear .

CT8 tried very hard and had 3 out of the 5 so a a "Good Try" virtual BITOG Mug is his to admire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back