Delo 15w40 multi grade...should I use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for an oil and fuel distributor and was lucky enough to find a healthy stash of delo 15w40LE. I my search I also found a rib (55 gallon) of delo 15w40 multigrade.
I have a 2002 duramax diesel with absolutely zero emmissions.
Should I buy the multi grade rib or just stick with the delo LE?
Thanks.

The requirement for the 2002 Dmax was just CH-4; very old spec now. Anything above that would be perfectly fine.

The Dmax simply does not care what you put in the crankcase, as long as it's a properly spec'd HDEO fluid. And by that I mean anything at or above CH-4, in 10w-30, 15w-40, 10w-40, 5w-40, 5w-30 ... Because Dmax engines have VERY low wear rates; some of the best in all light-duty diesel engines. I've not seen one shred of evidence that it matters, and I have over 550 UOAs for 6.6L Dmax engines.

Buy whichever oil .... (choose one or more from the following list)
1) is cheapest
2) makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside
3) allows you to sleep "better" at night
4) causes you to worry about something else, that actually does matter
Because your engine could not possibly care any less, ever.

Last edited:
Yup
laugh.gif

But, I'd do the Delo in a heart beat if it passes API rating threshold (CH-4 and above). Delo is very good oil . I'd love to have your opportunity to get somewhat older Delo in bulk. I'd buy all they could sell me. It ain't coming around again ...

The label on the drum says it is CI4 plus. So it exceeds the ch api rating. I understand the meeting or exceeding comment but isn't that to be taken with a grain of salt? Being that the latest oil blends are geard towards modern emission equipped engines that require less zinc and phos?

Delo 400 is a great oil. I have used it often in my tractor and the wife's 7.3 Powerstroke.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Use it and save your money to replace those junk injectors and fuel pump
wink.gif

Already did the injectors and pump. Learned the hard way that filtration is key

I called Mobil technical line and one can buy Delvac 1 5W40 NON ESP in 55 gal drums in the USA.
I suspect if you dig deep enough making phone calls you could buy cases of newly mfg'd Delo 400 15W40 Multigrade with no letters after it (CI4+) in the US as well.

Originally Posted by m37charlie
I called Mobil technical line and one can buy Delvac 1 5W40 NON ESP in 55 gal drums in the USA.
I suspect if you dig deep enough making phone calls you could buy cases of newly mfg'd Delo 400 15W40 Multigrade with no letters after it (CI4+) in the US as well.

Maybe, but the big question is at what cost? I can get the delo le and for about $715 a rib and the multigrade for around $780.
Not sure why the big price difference.
My tractor is an 06 John deere and from what I have found it requires the current oil specs. Or at least newer specs than the CI4.

That's odd. Delo LE was used for branding CJ-4, CK-4, and even the E6 lubricants. What name are they using to replace it, since they clearly aren't getting rid of CK-4 lubricants?

Originally Posted by Garak
That's odd. Delo LE was used for branding CJ-4, CK-4, and even the E6 lubricants. What name are they using to replace it, since they clearly aren't getting rid of CK-4 lubricants?

It's my understanding that the delo sde and xle are replacing the le versions. Whatever the case LE is no where to be had on local auto parts stores or at my local walmart.

Originally Posted by Drywaller
It's my understanding that the delo sde and xle are replacing the le versions. Whatever the case LE is no where to be had on local auto parts stores or at my local walmart.

Just me second guessing, but you think it would have been better had they tied that much more closely to the CK-4 rollout. As it was, Mobil brought the ESP out with CJ-4, and it still caused sufficient confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back