"Marine" Gear Oil vs. Regular Gear Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bluestream
SO if "tacky" gear oil is so good, my not use it in Automotive applications?

Certain components are present in both mineral and synthetic gear lubes to enhance tack.

I'm wondering if the cool operating temps and frequent drain intervals (often changed every season) would limit the loss of the tackiness? I do know that the lower unit lubes we've used that they do not emulsify, when we change the lube the water always comes out first (if there is any) and the lube isn't milky at all. I have noticed that even in used fluid it is a lot "stringier" than any automotive diff lube I've every seen.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I have a midrange 4S Yam and run Merc gear oils … very common to get a few cc's of water out ahead of the used oil that is never milky … change it every spring along with motor oil …

Actually, I would almost guess Yami suggests you change the gear lube before winter storage. I could be wrong.

But I do know Mercury does and it makes good sense, lets say you have more water then not for some odd reason, leaving it in all winter, well, water freezes.
Most likely doesnt matter but why not change out the gear lube before winter get any possibly contaminated lube out before storage.

Last edited:
For the difference in cost use the outboard lower end oil. And change it often buy top quality it is not that hard. Outboards are expensive whether a 5 hp or a 300 hp.. No one wants to spend the extra but when you bought the boat your IQ dropped 50%. Yes I have owned several boats and the IQ after the second boat doesn't recover.

That's probably what they'd recommend … we get many 50 degree days in the winter … going fishing
Going to rebuild the water pump soon … so I'll do the gear oil this winter …
It's never over hours … all my runs are very short … and I'm a 4K max RPM (once on plane) type …
On my OptiMax (sold) I was doing the gear lube spring and fall …
So maybe that's worth the $8 extra and I just moved my boat back home for better TLC …
Thanks

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Quicksilver High Performance is one good lube. You can use it in other stuff, but it really shines in lower units. I think the water cooling bath keeps it cool enough to not sheer as quickly as some think ...

It has come out of one OMC lower unit I serviced after a full season, still tacky'ish
smile.gif

After Redline MTL for other gearboxes, Quicksilver HP is my goto lube for tricky situations. It'll be going in the Honda shaft drive motorcycle at next service because I have a slight, but annoying, whine ...

Today I drained QuickSilver Premium 80w90 and replaced with QuickSilver High Performance SAE 90 …

I would like to add my two cents... Several posters have mentioned that most people drain and fill their lower unit in the spring. If your boat is stored in freezing temps, then drain and fill in the fall. Same amount of labor, but you don't want any intrusive water to freeze in there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back