greasing snowblower axles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I'm fixing up a ~10 year old Toro 20" snowblower. I'm replacing the wheels. They are 7", polypropylene with rubber tires, no bearings and not driven.

Should I grease before I reassemble? I've got an old can of LubriPlate, some moly grease, and a tub of Supertech red.

I usually put a dab of moly grease on the axles of my lawn mower, but a snowblower sees different conditions than a mower.

A search found this thread, but the wheels were driven in that case.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Probably a calcium based #1 grease.A lithium grease will also work. Calcium soap base grease will emulsify with water and keep on lubricating where other greases will wash out. With normal use, regreasing several times through the winter should be adequate.

Personally...I would use a light weight oil. Grease will thicken when cold and make the wheels harder to spin.

Graphite - yeah, I've got some. Forgot all about that. Apply to both surfaces and then assemble?

Yah-Tah-Hey, these wheels are honestly not coming off again for regreasing during the season. I have good intentions but know myself too well.

Are you sure about the graphite?
When they used it in space it didn't work; they found out the graphite works as a lubricant only with water
vapor it gets from the atmosphere. In a snow machine that water will be frozen.

I would say some thing like fluid film just to keep out water and keep down on rust, it won't hurt plastic and will be good with cold weather.

I used a #1 lithium grease on the axles and chain. I used it sparingly and had no issues with components binding in the cold temps of this arctic wasteland I call home.

Originally Posted by BrianF
I used a #1 lithium grease on the axles and chain. I used it sparingly and had no issues with components binding in the cold temps of this arctic wasteland I call home.

That's good to know. The Lubriplate that I have is a #1 grease, perhaps lithium base. Maybe use that, then inspect at the end of the season to see how it fared.

The first measurable snow is imminent. The snowblower is undergoing paddle and scraper bar replacement along with the wheels. Hope to button it up this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back