GM killing Chevy Volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
https://insideevs.com/general-motors-shut-down-chevy-volt-factory/amp/

Apparently we may end up with electric SUV's? Be interesting to see where this goes, since GM's huge cuts are apparently taking place to allow for a transition to them producing EV's, which then seems contrary with them axing an EV
21.gif

It's because its a car, not a CUV. CUV's are king. PUs, SUVs too. Cars are selling as sports cars only.
My leased '18 Equinox is bult on the same platform as the Cruze-Volt (D2XX) so look for all this Malibu Hybrid and Volt Hybrid tech to appear in RAV4 Hybrid competitors from GM soon.

I don't think the Volt was ever a long term car, mostly a proof of concept. GM learned a lot from it and also its users. It was also a good car so if they can build on it may work well.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
It's because its a car, not a CUV. CUV's are king. PUs, SUVs too. Cars are selling as sports cars only.
My leased '18 Equinox is bult on the same platform as the Cruze-Volt (D2XX) so look for all this Malibu Hybrid and Volt Hybrid tech to appear in RAV4 Hybrid competitors from GM soon.

That's the rumor I've read too. The Volt name will stay, but will become a crossover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by javacontour
CUVs are close to if not outselling cars. So cutting or dropping cars should not be a shock to anyone.

Yep and NA built small cars simply aren't profitable.

meh....GM cutting electric cars is not even "news"....EV1 (cough)

People will buy the hybrid/electric CUV/SUV so they can feel good about themselves and in front of others....they drive hard and it gets worse fuel economy than the gasoline version, most don't even care. It's all about appearances.

Last edited by a moderator:
They sold a bazillion Volt's in Silicon Valley. It was an early success, but apparantly has been lost to technology advancements and SUVs.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
CUVs are close to if not outselling cars. So cutting or dropping cars should not be a shock to anyone.

Yep and NA built small cars simply aren't profitable.

The same thing was said back in 2008 and the tax payer had to pay out big money to bail them out.
Now, we're back to unprofitable small cars again, round and round it goes.

Yes indeed! After pickup trucks, the RAV4, CR-V, Rogue are the top 3 IIRC.
And compact sedans as a category(Civic, Corolla, Sentra, Cruz etc.) are now out selling the midsize family sedan category(Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu etc.) with the Civic leading the way for sedans and supplanting the Camry as the leader.

The PRESS says the reason midsize family sedans sales are shrinking(although still selling very well) is that, we are becoming a CUV/SUV country and the other reason is, the compact sedans themselves are getting bigger, roomier & just better.

According to the latest data(I read in online) is that the RAV4 is outselling everything that isn't a TRUCK.
ATMOF, the RAV4 all by itself, outsold the CX5, Terrain, Tiguan, Escape & Forester combine.

Last edited:
Cheap gasoline also has buyers looking for larger vehicles.
The Volt was a failure for the amount of money invested in R&D of vehicle.

Crossovers and SUVs are very practical compared to sedans. Today's crossover is the modern day station wagon.

The RAV4 recently took over as the top selling vehicle for Toyota from the previous champ Camry.

It's a pivotal change but the Big2 are slow to adapt.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Cheap gasoline also has buyers looking for larger vehicles.
The Volt was a failure for the amount of money invested in R&D of vehicle.

B/Volt probably not going too far away...stretch roofline, crank up ride height, re-launch under new nameplate. Done.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
B/Volt probably not going too far away...stretch roofline, crank up ride height, re-launch under new nameplate. Done.

Or, there is already essentially a Malibu Station Wagon being sold in the U.S. today, the Buick Regal TourX station wagon, based on the Malibu's E2XX platform. ......And the Malibu Hybrid uses the Volt's system with a few mods. A station wagon type of vehicle could be sold as a "cool CUV" in marketing materials, and not being too generous with ground clearance could preserve the all-EV range of a plug-in or a pure-EV version by reducing aero drag.
Buick TourX sold today:
[Linked Image]

Main problem has always been the $$ price $$ of the Volt. Too high. .. TrueCar.com has the cheapest available lowest base Volt at $31.5k, and a person who buys one knows it doesn't have the snob-appeal of a Tesla Model 3 & its not a CUV. Looks like a Cruze in the showroom, & the Cruze goes for only $16k (automatic transmission).
GM's Federal Tax credits of $7.5k run out about now too. Hurry if you want one.

Or, there is already essentially a Malibu Station Wagon being sold in the U.S. today, the Buick Regal TourX station wagon, based on the Malibu's E2XX platform. ......And the Malibu Hybrid uses the Volt's system with a few mods. A station wagon type of vehicle could be sold as a "cool CUV" in marketing materials, and not being too generous with ground clearance could preserve the all-EV range of a plug-in or a pure-EV version by reducing aero drag.
I'm not sure the market is there for wagons just yet. I think that once all the Gen Xers get old and CUVs get stale they might come back into fashion, but they are a niche product who's target audience is Jalopnik readers.

Even Subaru and Volvo sell SUVs/CUVs now, there is no market for wagons. However, the CTS-V wagon is mythical.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I'm not sure the market is there for wagons just yet. I think that once all the Gen Xers get old and CUVs get stale they might come back into fashion, but they are a niche product who's target audience is Jalopnik readers.

Even Subaru and Volvo sell SUVs/CUVs now, there is no market for wagons. However, the CTS-V wagon is mythical.

So you are saying the Subaru Outback is not a wagon?

The term station wagon has been so trashed that the automakers just call it something else.

The Forester, the Volvo XC, Mazda CX-9, all wagons. They just call them that.

Main problem has always been the $$ price $$ of the Volt. Too high. .. TrueCar.com has the cheapest available lowest base Volt at $31.5k, and a person who buys one knows it doesn't have the snob-appeal of a Tesla Model 3 & its not a CUV. Looks like a Cruze in the showroom, & the Cruze goes for only $16k (automatic transmission).
GM's Federal Tax credits of $7.5k run out about now too. Hurry if you want one.

At my job all the managers have the option of a Ford C-Max or GM Volt for their company vehicle. Lots of people chose to get an Impala or Equinox and not have to deal with the hassles of constantly charging the battery.

There was simply very little interest in the C-Max or Volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back