Want a synthetic grease that is not sticky or tacky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Green Grease. It's very sticky and tacky. I don't like it.

I want to use it for lawn equipment. Right now I want to use it for snowblowers. I use grease on a snowblower to

1) grease the auger to spin easier and to prevent the auger from rusting to the shaft. For this I could use regular grease.

2) grease the wheel axle to prevent the wheel from rusting to the axle. The Green Grease is so sticky I can't smooth it around the axle with my finger. It doesn't slide. For this I really want to use synthetic grease.

3) I also want to use the grease on a hex shaft that is underneath that a disk slides back and forth when shifting gears. This disk has to slide easily, it can't stick! for this, probably lithium grease would be better, but that may depend on the synthetic grease. Regular grease would work fine there but it's just easier to have one grease in the grease gun.

Are all synthetic grades as sticky as Green Grease?

What synthetic grease is not sticky and is smooth and buttery as regular grease is?

Superlube multipurpose grear works great, and its lb-cg rated. I use it for a lot of stuff including bicycle wheel bearings. Just started trialing the lucas heavy duty green grease and first impression is very good. Nice, smooth and buttery. Just a little harder to wash off my hands afterwards than a normal lithium grease. That is a polyurea, though, so make sure you are compatible.

The Mobil 1 red synthetic is smooth and waterproof, its been doing the job for over 12 years in the auger and axle on my ariens, apply before winter and forget it. It is great grease.
It drips out of the gun a little, just put the gun in a plastic bag when you hang it up. For me its a non issue but some get their knickers on a twist about it.

I use a general multi purpose wheel bearing and chassis grease. Like this https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/general-multi-purpose-grease.

A little bit goes a long way. You could buy a synthetic variant if it makes your heart sings but I don't see a need to spend more for a synthetic grease.

I spray the snow chute and auger housing with a silicone spray.

For the auger I pull the shear pins and put a few squirts of white lithium grease and free spin the auger to work that in. Make sure you keep that friction wheel covered and clean when greasing the underside of the belly pan. I wipe the friction wheel down with a rag and some gasoline when I'm done greasing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buck91
Superlube multipurpose grear works great, and its lb-cg rated. I use it for a lot of stuff including bicycle wheel bearings. Just started trialing the lucas heavy duty green grease and first impression is very good. Nice, smooth and buttery. Just a little harder to wash off my hands afterwards than a normal lithium grease. That is a polyurea, though, so make sure you are compatible.
Lucas Poly grease should be compatible with most all all greases It is a shear stable Poly urea grease.

Super Lube grease is what you want. It has the consistency of Vaseline and is about the least sticky/tacky grease you can get.

Harbor Freight is the cheapest local place to get it as the price is pretty good to begin with and then you can use harbor freight's 20% off coupon with it.

Originally Posted by AMC
Super Lube grease is what you want. It has the consistency of Vaseline and is about the least sticky/tacky grease you can get.

Harbor Freight is the cheapest local place to get it as the price is pretty good to begin with and then you can use harbor freight's 20% off coupon with it.

+1. Had very good results with this.

All of the uses you mention would also be well served by a moly grease if you can deal with the possible messy look of the black grease.

I bought the Lubrimatic Super Lube at Home Depot, $10.81 14.1 oz cartridge.

Harbor Freight does not carry the cartridge.

It seems to be what I am looking for.

I'd want something with lubricating solids. So an MoS2 or ptfe content would be good.

I agree with others on the super lube.

Grease that is not sticky? That sounds like a contradiction. You want lubricants to be sticky to a degree to adhere to the part you apply it to.

Most grease sticks regardless of texture. A non-tacky grease is referred to as smooth or buttery. A smooth or buttery grease will form peaks between your finger tips but will not form strings. When you squeeze a smooth or buttery grease it will easily yield and have little resilience.

A tacky grease will form heavy strings between your finger tips and will have some resilience when squeezed between your fingers.

Originally Posted by loneryder
You want it sticky/tacky so it stays where you put it.

But that can be detrimental to bearings or other rotating parts. Tacky grease is best for things that will see sliding/pounding forces.

My vote is M1, Red Line, WD40 True Multi-Purpose or any NLGI GC-LB grease without tackifier.

For 1 and 2 I would use anti-sieze. For 3 white lithium or Syl-Glide in a tube will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back