2 Utah Teens Steal Cessna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see....grand theft of the tractor. Then another count against them with the airplane. Add to that, lucky to be alive after landing with no training.

Lock 'em up.

14 and 15 escapees from a group home? No harm no foul . Let them off due to contributing negligence of equipment owners. Get kids full rides to Emory Riddle. I hot wired my first car at 11
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Resourceful lads. Maybe mandatory military service. (When they become of enlistment age) Smart, but dumb to steal.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Resourceful lads. Maybe mandatory military service. (When they become of enlistment age) Smart, but dumb to steal.

Are you equating military service with court-imposed punishment?

That's remarkably ignorant. These two are ineligible because of this criminal act.

The US military doesn't take people with a criminal record.

There was once a time when a judge might have been able to offer a person a choice between jail or military service. But we also had a draft back then. However, even if a judge had offered the choice, the military is under no obligation to accept that person for service.

Further, things have changed in the past 45 years.

The US military is not an option for people with criminal records, or drug use, or sedentary lifestyles, for that matter, thus rendering 75% of high school seniors ineligible.

Last edited:
Punks must have been playing flight simulator games in the group home to get enough knowledge to seal a small plane.

Astro, to be fair this still happens and probably saved a young man.

I had a guy who worked for me in the mid to early 2000's who was given the choice by a judge. He wasn't like most types who worked in our field. We get a lot of type A personalities, folks who are the best and want to be better.. This guy was different, and I found out his story.

He was a big corn fed Iowa farm boy. His father was an abusive alcoholic. He was caught underage drinking several times, as well as DWI. He found himself standing back in front of the judge after a short amount of time. The judge gave him an option, enlist or go to jail. He enlisted.

He had no problems getting his Secret security clearance (This is a job requirement for enlisted our line of work). As you know this requires a through background investigation which some SM's have problems obtaining/maintaining.

He finished a very tough training pipeline, which says something about his intelligence and tenacity.

He was already finished with this when he arrived to my unit. The Army helped to instill values and teamwork into this guy. We took care of him, and he took care of us. Something that may have been lacking back home.

He now drank in moderation, followed the rules, did everything right and always exceeded what was asked of him.

He wound up dating, then marrying the Colonel's daughter. He's out of the Army now. She is a RN, and they have 3 beautiful children together.

We still stay in touch. He's a good person, and I call them both friends. I don't think he visits his old home much..

If the judge would not have offered him the choice, I believe his life would have been very different. One of the best decisions he ever made.

If given the right leadership, I would be happy to have those two kids serve, should they choose.

Last edited:
We need to let them try a NEW 737 and see if they survive the landing .It would be the ultimate test.

Originally Posted by Astro14
The US military is not an option for people with criminal records, or drug use, or sedentary lifestyles, for that matter, thus rendering 75% of high school seniors ineligible.
There's being atavistic and then there is blatant ageism. Those kids been cutting across your lawn again, old man?

Just here for the show
35.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's being atavistic and then there is blatant ageism. Those kids been cutting across your lawn again, old man?

35.gif

Then I suppose I stand corrected.

To be clear, the judge couldn't impose military service. But I am surprised that the young man was offered a choice.

But the military was still under no obligation to take him, so, had he been convicted, your story would've been quite different. I'm glad it worked out as it did.

I do have to ask, how long ago was he offered this choice?

I mentioned that it's been 45 years since the draft ended, and that choice sounds like a draft-era story.

Last edited:

Sorry. Truth hurts.

Here's the story in Time magazine: http://time.com/2938158/youth-fail-to-qualify-military-service/

I've got other sources, but the simple fact, most kids (I said 75%, Time said 71%, but the statistics vary from year to year) fail to meet basic, minimum, military standards for physical fitness, criminal record, or prior drug use.

Education standards enter into it, too, from reading the article, but regardless, this has been a huge concern for the Pentagon for over a decade.

How old are you Max?

Feeling defensive about the truth of the state of our nation's youth?

How many push-ups can you do in two minutes? Sit-ups? Pull-ups? How fast can you run three miles?

Ever use drugs?

Ever have a criminal conviction?

Care to take the ASVAB?

Just wondering at the source of your accusation. I'm old, true enough, but neither atavistic or ageist.

You might want to stay off my lawn, just the same.

Last edited:

To be clear, the judge couldn't impose military service. But I am surprised that the young man was offered a choice.

But the military was still under no obligation to take him, so, had he been convicted, your story would've been quite different. I'm glad it worked out as it did.

I do have to ask, how long ago was he offered this choice?

I mentioned that it's been 45 years since the draft ended, and that choice sounds like a draft-era story.

Astro,

He joined my unit around '07, so with the training the judge probably gave him the option around 2005, or early 06. I believe he was gone within a week of making his choice.

His service was not compulsory, he was given the choice.

To those who are denigrating Astro for his numbers. Well, it's true. We have a serious recruiting AND a retention problem in today's military. Not just this but many of those who are serving are coming from the same generational families, and in some cases more from certain geographic locations than others.

Last edited:

Maxdust has some kind of grudge towards older people. He doesn't know yet that one day he will be old himself.

Maybe some military service would be good for him?

As for these kids, there has to be consequences for their joyride. Military would surely straighten them out or perhaps some month in the hot summer in Utah collecting trash on the highways?

Sorry. Truth hurts.

Here's the story in Time magazine: http://time.com/2938158/youth-fail-to-qualify-military-service/

I've got other sources, but the simple fact, most kids (I said 75%, Time said 71%, but the statistics vary from year to year) fail to meet basic, minimum, military standards for physical fitness, criminal record, or prior drug use.

How many push-ups can you do in two minutes? Sit-ups? Pull-ups? How fast can you run three miles?

When I was in 5th grade President Reagan challenged my gym class to get us all to do 5 chin-ups. I passed, but was a real string bean. Lots of tubby kids then, probably worse now.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Maxdust has some kind of grudge towards older people. He doesn't know yet that one day he will be old himself.

As for these kids, there has to be consequences for their joyride. Military would surely straighten them out or perhaps some month in the hot summer in Utah collecting trash on the highways?

Utah ain't nuthin. Try Indio,ca or Thermal,ca.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by PimTac

Utah ain't nuthin. Try Indio,ca or Thermal,ca.

True. I've been on I-15 and US395 during the summer.

I know people who avoided jail / record by joining the military (Canada, always volunteer forces*). One younger brother of a friend of mine ended up in artillery, spent a lot of time in Cyprus keeping the Greek and Turkish Cypriots from killing each other when that island was essentially involved in a Civil War. They've calmed down now, but not by a lot. Just less killing each other.

* Technically, there was conscription in 1944-45, as the French Canadians were not volunteering at anywhere near the same rate as the rest of Canada, causing resentment. That ended in August 1945. Although some conscripts did enter training, none left Canada or were deployed before the war ended. No other time were Canadians drafted. In WWII, with a population of 11 million, there were more than 1 million volunteers.

To be clear, the judge couldn't impose military service. But I am surprised that the young man was offered a choice. ...

I would say it's rare; I have made such arrangements maybe two or three times in three decades. It's like herding cats.

My understanding is that there is ( or was ) some flexibility for minor offenses, IF they otherwise want the kid, a big IF.

Around 1974 two 17 year olds in Connecticut stole a car but somehow ran off.

Before they were tracked down, they enlisted in the Navy. One quoted the recruiter as asking, "You boys aren't in any trouble, are you?"

They lied and got in. When the case developed and they were tracked down, they were discharged.

An old exNavy guy later told me, "That's a DCG-Discharge at the Convenience of the Government".

I think he added that it is an honorable discharge.

The Connecticut fellow was a Summer job workmate and he was a "dogs dirt punk" long before I heard his story. Any organization is way better off without him.

Just thought I'd share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back