Speed Clay 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to do a winter prep detail on both the CX-5 and Giulia. CX-5 received a wash (ArmorAll), Speed Clay 2.0(Mother's), compound (Meg's), wax (Meg's) and black trim restorer (Meg's). Giulia received a wash and wax. Was going to clay also, but after trying on the CX-5 I had reservations.

I used Meg's Quick Wax as lube which seemed to work well. However, I felt like an awful lot was needed to get the clay bar to truly glide. Don't get me wrong, the product works, the paint was smooth as glass afterwards and took a fraction of time as a conventional clay bar. The few times the bar "caught" on the paint was enough to keep me away from using it on the Giulia before I made sure I was using it properly. I've used a traditional clay bar several times before and felt the grabbing sensation was similar, but with this being a rubber compound I was concerned it may cause some marring on the clear coat.

Anyone have experience with a these clay bar replacements? Any tips and tricks I should know of?

I've found on clay substitutes that a drop or so of car wash in a 32oz spray bottle with distilled water has much better lubricity than a detailing spray.

Your clearcoat is harder than the claybar. As long as youre using a good lube (quick wax is fine) you're not going to do any damage.

If you have a dirty car and drag dirt across the paint that's really the only way you're going to scratch it.

Originally Posted by Delta
I've found on clay substitutes that a drop or so of car wash in a 32oz spray bottle with distilled water has much better lubricity than a detailing spray.

That's a good idea, I'll have to give that a shot.

I'd suggest using a spray DETAILER, NOT a spray WAX, with a Clay bar or Clay bar substitute. It seems to work better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
I'd suggest using a spray DETAILER, NOT a spray WAX, with a Clay bar or Clay bar substitute. It seems to work better.

Correct.

If you're using the two-bucket wash method, your suds bucket has plenty of lubrication for the clay. Dunk the clay in the bucket and use the sudsy water you already have as lubrication.

Or buy a bottle of spray detailer each time.

Originally Posted by Delta

+1, and I use distilled water, no hard water residue.

Never used soapy water and always had great success with the Meguiars Detailing Spray in the burgundy bottle. I've never had an issue with using that as long as you keep the surface wet otherwise it may grab the clay. It is certainly much cheaper than the Meguiars Quick Wax you are using and if you wax after using it, it realistically has no prupose.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
Never used soapy water and always had great success with the Meguiars Detailing Spray in the burgundy bottle. I've never had an issue with using that as long as you keep the surface wet otherwise it may grab the clay. It is certainly much cheaper than the Meguiars Quick Wax you are using and if you wax after using it, it realistically has no prupose.

Also used and liked using the Meguiar's detailing spray with a clay bar. Easy peasy.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by NissanMaxima

Also used and liked using the Meguiar's detailing spray with a clay bar. Easy peasy.

Forgot to mention I use the Meguiars detailing spray (burgundy bottle) with their detailing clay. I find a quarter or silver dollar sized piece can easily do the entire car as long as you frequently knead the piece to expose a fresh area and agree "easy peasy"! I can do my entire car twice a year perhaps in under 15 minutes (of course they are garaged which helps).. Two bars of it that come in their combo box of spray and clay will last me like two years for two cars! But, I understand and respect some folk like these newer gizmos or the nanoskins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back