CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

With the warmer weather coming I just checked them this week the warmer weather hasn't affected yet but its getting warmer.

Last edited:
Had a flat tire last month. Tire man saw the half-inch slit damage on the tread but no foreign object that caused it. Said I could've just run over a sharp rock. Since the tire was 11 years old, I scrapped it and had the shop install the used tire I bought from a junkyard not too long ago for this very purpose. Told them to inflate to 34 psi. They immersed the tire and wheel in water and saw no bubbles. Got it mounted and on my way.

Yesterday, I decided to check that tire and it was at 24 psi! (This car is older and doesn't have TPMS.) I spat on the ground and wiped some saliva with my finger on the valve stem tip/hole. It wouldn't form a film, however I tried. So the leak was from the tire valve. The only thing that slowed the air loss rate was the plastic cap I keep on it.

Last edited:
My Jeep gives me a readout on all 4 wheels with buttons on the steering wheel to get to the screen. So there is no need to check with a gauge. I did once, and found the screen to be within 1 to 2 PSI of the gauge. So that is what I go by. On my new Toyota it has a tire pressure warning light, but not direct pressure readouts on each tire. So I have to manually check it from time to time. Especially because it has low volume, low profile tires.

Originally Posted by crosseyedwx
Originally Posted by Astro14
Am I the only one who checks it monthly, or before a road trip, regardless of season?

I check it weekly, at least.
wink.gif

I have a slow leak, so no choice.

Holy Cow! This thread is 7 years and 2 weeks old.

I was the first to respond (no applause, please)

I'm ALWAYS checking my tires (and those of my family) and adjust for highway trips etc.

Yesterday, after Thanksgiving dinner, the TPMS came on. I thought nail or sheet metal screw.

Gauge read 30 or 29.5 psi EACH TIRE (all down from 36 psi). AMAZING

Current cold snap dropped all 4 tires uniformly. I guess that's a good thing.

Originally Posted by Kira
Hello, GOOD ADVICE except
1) People are frequently sooooooo lazy
2) "I can't be baaaaaathuurd"
3) "I never did that before!"
4) "I'm a brain surgeon, my tires don't loose air."

A British survey from decades ago, indicated that a billion gallons of fuel per year are wasted in the UK because of low inflated tires. Got to be a lot more wasted fuel due to low tires in america..... the king of waste. I was able to tell a driver of a large tractor, temporarily on a farm road, that one of his tires was really low. That brings up another problem with low tires. Some people are so negligent(or a tire suddenly increased its leak rate), that their tires have de-rimmed. 25% of auto accidents site low pressure in tires as a causative factor. The car lurching down the road, might NOT be a drunk driver, but a driver with a low tire.
OK, OK! I'm going to check my tires right now.............. OK, my tires are up(I checked them a week ago). But, once my son-in-law saw one of my tires very low, when I would have just taken off without checking tires. Pumped the tire up & took it to my mechanic. Turned out a nail had started a not-so-slow leak. The safest method should include a pre-drive tire check, like a pilot pre-flight checklist.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by johnsmellsalot
I check my tires every week...... before the sun shines on them.
Yer from Texas. I'm from western Washington. I remember the mythical sun. I saw it once, in my childhood. Or was it just my child's imagination?

Last edited:
Small reminder.
I over-filled a neighbor's tires yesterday with the plan to bleed off excess air pressure this morning when cold.
It was 55â„ yesterday and one side of the car was in direct sunlight.
I just got in. It's 39â„.
All tires dropped 3 psi.

Originally Posted by litesong
Yer from Texas. I'm from western Washington. I remember the mythical sun. I saw it once, in my childhood. Or was it just my child's imagination?

Well in Washington we don't use sunscreen we use rust preventative.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by litesong
Well in Washington we don't use sunscreen we use rust preventative.
What do you use to reduce the chaffing on your webbed toes & fingers? Western Washingtonians want to know.

Last edited:
The last couple of weeks the wife's car has seen a slight increase in gas mileage over what it usually sees this time of the year. I was thinking it was maybe the small amount of TCW-3 I've been adding. No that can't be. So I checked the tires and they were all at 40 psi. A month ago I checked and filled them to 35. Apparently summer has finally arrived in MN.

Back