Detail and Wax - Top Picks and Favorites Of Members On BITOG

I’m really liking Griots Rinseless car wash, works well and when made up as quick detailer it removes bugs splats easily. Also, Stoner trim shine makes short work of dealing with exterior trim, just spray and walk away.

Liking the list for what it represents. I quick reference guide for someone looking for a no-nonsense recommendations of affordable products that do what they say on the tin.

Of course there are a 1000 products and more not listed. But that's not the point. I use some, I also don't agree 100%, but when used correctly, the listed products will provide advertised results.

wink.gif

Jordan

Great list. I find the Turtle Wax and Dry spray to be very good. I would add
Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 15.2 oz....about $7 at Walmart or Amazon. I've used it on my cars and on expensive leather sofas and chairs. It's an outstanding one spray and wipe leather cleaning and conditioning product. Better than Lexol in my book.

I'm not a fan of the Turtle Wax products for the most part. They are low cost/low performance products. I much prefer Mothers products, Meguiars, and others. One product that I am surprised wasn't mentioned, was Simple Green as a wheel/tire cleaner. It generally dissolves most, if not all the grease/tar/dirt that accumulates on the wheels and tires, leaving the wheels clean and the tires black. It is also very effective at softening and removing bugs from the front end. When I detail either my car or a car from my side detailing business, when it comes to car wax, I love Collinite Doublecoat Paste Wax. It is a carnuba based wax that lasts and lasts while providing that classic carnuba shine. I can generally get 4-6 months of solid water beading from a single waxing. To each their own, but those are my favs.

That is me 100%. Hand waxing a car is a task that I loath. I hand waxed a car once and that was back in about 1977 or 78. I go through the auto car wash maybe 4-5 times per year which adds some sort of wax. Not sure what kind of wax they use but it works for me. I do not care if the vehicle has a shine 2 miles deep or if it beads water or not after a rain. I got a car wax set complete with a buffer a few years ago for fathers day gift but never ever used it . still in the box probably will ask my son if he wants it since I will never use it.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I got a car wax set complete with a buffer a few years ago for fathers day gift but never ever used it . still in the box probably will ask my son if he wants it since I will never use it.

It's not much work using a buffer. Let the buffer and wax do all the work. You just guide the thing around. Look how easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFEAz93qkHc

Although I'd use a good cleaner liquid wax. Mothers Cleaner Wax is good and avail at Walmart. The machine applies a super thin layer which makes removal super easy. Plus the machine does the removal after changing bonnets. Makes the task fun versus a p.i.t.a.

Wait-if you wait to save the whales and the seals-don't use NuFinsh.

At least according to some........

Actually-I just finished using NuFinish on my Sierra-great sealant/polish

Picture page one of this thread-

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4826940/Re:_New_Silverado_with_80's_pa#Post4826940

Car Wash: Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba or Carnauba Wash and Wax
Polish: Meguiars Ultimate
Spray Wax: Meguiars Xpress Detailer Spray Wax

Paint Correction/Polish: Megs 105 and 205

Wash: Optimum No Rinse, one bucket w/a grit guard:

Drying: I use Opti Seal as a drying aid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKzPVK9ozU

After drying, I'll occasionally do a separate coat of either Optiseal or Optimum spray wax.

All purpose cleaner/degreaser: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mean-Green-128-fl-oz-All-Purpose-Cleaner/50299949 Lots of bikes shops use this stuff--cheap and works great

I realize I sound like an Optimum ad, but the stuff just works--and the per-use cost is low. Optimum No Rinse to wash and Optiseal as a drying aid was a total game changer for me. It takes 15 minutes start to finish to wash my car, and it's swirl-free on my black car. If the car is really dirty, I'll go hose it off at the carwash just up the block, then wash it using the method above.

One other product I dig: Leather Masters Protection Cream. Seems to work well on my seats, which seem to be a mix of semi-aniline and pigmented leather.

Originally Posted by Phishin
I agree with almost everything up there. But I honestly think that this should have made the wax/sealant list

[Linked Image]

This, park outside in the sun most of the time and still slick after 6 months.

Some things I would add to the list:

Car wash - Turtle Wax Zip Wax

Tire shine - Stoner's More Shine

MF towels - the rag company has the BEST mf towels I've ever used...

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Not a fan of Turtle Wax at all. I used some of their products years ago and they weren't very good. For a few bucks more you can buy some Mother's products which I like much better. And don't have to wonder if it's a junk product or not. Plus excellent customer service that stands behind their products.

As far as online products I like Duragloss, Surf City, Ultima to name a few.

With the Turtle Wax Tire shine I'd be skeptical about that product turning the tires brown after a month or two. I only use quality tire shine or none at all.

All this Turtle Wax bashing with zero evidence to back up anything stated. Funny how EVERY new wax, compares or tries to compare themselves to Turtle Wax. Why because it's the world standard of waxes on the planet. And is easy on the wallet. You don't need to spend $50 on a can of wax to get a good shine. I'll put Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell up against any new wax made. F11 the no joke wax lasts about 45 minutes in summertime temps. The list goes on and on.......

Originally Posted by slomo
Not a fan of Turtle Wax at all. I used some of their products years ago and they weren't very good. For a few bucks more you can buy some Mother's products which I like much better. And don't have to wonder if it's a junk product or not. Plus excellent customer service that stands behind their products.

With the Turtle Wax Tire shine I'd be skeptical about that product turning the tires brown after a month or two. I only use quality tire shine or none at all.

All this Turtle Wax bashing with zero evidence to back up anything stated. Funny how EVERY new wax, compares or tries to compare themselves to Turtle Wax. Why because it's the world standard of waxes on the planet. And is easy on the wallet. You don't need to spend $50 on a can of wax to get a good shine. I'll put Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell up against any new wax made. F11 the no joke wax lasts about 45 minutes in summertime temps. The list goes on and on.......

The Duragloss sealants I use are closer to the $10 price point. Esp when a site like autogeek.net offers free shipping every now and then.

Originally Posted by slomo

Yeah, I'll put Meguiar's Ultimate up against anything on the shelf.

Turtle Wax is ok but far from the "world standard." Where'd you pull that nugget from?

Back