Who has the oldest Daily Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
23 year old Camry V6, 346,000 miles. I bought it new and it's the best car I've ever owned. We still take long trips in it at 75+ MPH. No oil usage on 6,000 mile Mobil-1 changes.

1993 F150 I bought from a friend in 2003 with 182k miles. He was meticulous about maintenance which swayed the buy. Replaced the head gasket shortly after purchase do to coolant leak (common). And later replaced the rod/main bearings and oil pump (common). These engines lug and are long stroke so they beat the snot out of rod bearings. Cylinder heads are as long as the bed and they warp. Daily driver with over 255k miles now.

1992 Honda Accord, 204k miles. Never had any major repairs. Extremely reliable, economical, and practical. Still in great shape, no rust, everything on it still works. Good looking car (IMO) and kind of fun to drive. Gonna drive it till the wheels fall off.

Originally Posted by SargeBB
23 year old Camry V6, 346,000 miles. I bought it new and it's the best car I've ever owned. ...
My brother's car is an Avalon of same age with the same engine, and about the same mileage. It's still mechanically good, although the paint is failing. His '85 Jetta also had about the same mileage when he gave up on the troublesome shift linkage.

My Mazda (below) was 34 years old when I had to replace it a little over 4 years ago. No problems driving it circuitously to Little Rock and back soon before that.

Last edited:
Not many people daily driving anything more than 20 years old here. Salt just east everything away eventually. Jealous of you southern folks who can daily drive neat older cars.

My 81 Comutacar is in storage this winter but it's likely going back this summer as my weekday driver (in all its cheese wedge, abs & tubular aircraft aluminum glory)

Originally Posted by Chris142
My 87 f250.

Ha, '88 F250 was my first vehicle. The 460 in that sure was thirsty!

'88 Big Bronco. Was a '70 Chevy C-20 with a 454, but sold that
smile.gif

Got a hankerin for a 54 Chevy though ...

Last edited:
I would imagine most folks will chime in from the southern states, people living in the northern states or Canada will have a hard time keeping a daily driven vehicle for more than 15 years. Regular rust proofing may extend this to 20 years, or a bit more. Plus, during winter there is a much, much greater chance of being involved in an accident that would total the vehicle.

My wife daily's her 1992 Mercury Capri in the summer. Gets like 33 mpg. 143k miles. Stick shift and a convertible. It's one of the tiny Mazda powered front wheel drive ones. Not a Mustang/Capri. Crazy to think that car is old enough to buy beer now!

Edit: if I could daily this I would. But alas, she's under the knife right now.

16F58033-139C-44C7-B125-5F83142B5FED.jpeg

Last edited:
Here in Colorado where rust is not a problem I see cars from the 1960's and newer used as daily drivers.
And on Sundays cars from the 20's out on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back