As the saying goes. It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
My brother and I do that all the time, I don't know how we accumulate so much oil. 15-20 gallons dumped at a time sometimes.

The main issue was it was a new store, otherwise I would have just walked in and not said anything but I didn't know where it was exactly.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
My local Autozone (where the mad bomber was arrested) only allows for 5 quarts to be dumped at a time. I told them that since my trucks take 3 gallons a piece, and some of my cars take 7-9, they can count of me never buying oil or anything else there again.

What kind of car takes 9 gallons of oil?

He's saying 7-9 quarts. So basically he's saying he can't even do just one oil change and he's already over the limit of what he can bring in and has to go to multiple stores to empty it out.

Gotcha. There are trucks that take 3 gallons of oil? Like big rig type trucks?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
My local Autozone (where the mad bomber was arrested) only allows for 5 quarts to be dumped at a time. I told them that since my trucks take 3 gallons a piece, and some of my cars take 7-9, they can count of me never buying oil or anything else there again.

What kind of car takes 9 gallons of oil?

He's saying 7-9 quarts. So basically he's saying he can't even do just one oil change and he's already over the limit of what he can bring in and has to go to multiple stores to empty it out.

Gotcha. There are trucks that take 3 gallons of oil? Like big rig type trucks?

Leo trucks like mine take 3 gallons. The f-250 diesel powerstrokes take almost 4 gallons. Big rigs take like 10-15 gallons of oil Big diesel powered yachts with 15 or 20 liter diesel engines can take like 30 gallons of oil.

I used to have more than that in my stash at one time.
lol.gif

I used to fly in airplanes (1340 Cu. In Radial single engine floatplanes) that *burn* a gallon of oil an hour. I think the tank (dry sump motor) held something like 10 gallons. I know that it took two 20-litre pails to do an oil change, which is 10.5 US Gallons.

That's not true, go back and talk again. I'm pretty sure they would allow 20 quarts at a time.

Besides, the person at the register can just input whatever number makes sense to them, no matter what you bring in.

ALL of their waste oil is sold for a profit.

Used oil around here used to be worth about $1.60 a gallon. That said, I never understood parts stores having limits.

With prices down at the moment, I don't think it's worth as much, but people still buy it for shop heaters and such. It's not like they are taking trash or spent florescent light bulbs.

The local waste facility allows you to dump up to 50 liters of waste oil (10.5 gallons) at a time. I guess they think you may be a commercial business if you have more than that.

They have two 7000 liter tanks. They say in the summer they can have one tank filled in one week.

Last edited:
5 gallons is the amount of oil that all the auto parts store chains will take in my area. After a week of servicing my customers mowers I will have at least 20 gallons of used oil. I load up 5 gallon containers of the used oil in my truck and off I go to the parts stores.

Last time I took oil to the transfer station, an attendant told me not to dump it in the giant tank and that "some guy" would take care of it later.
I wonder if maybe somebody told them he'd like to pick up old oil to burn in a shop heater or something like that...or maybe some klutz caused a huge mess and they don't let people dump their own anymore.
I think the most I ever brought at one time was maybe 4 gallons, but I liked taking care of it myself and it's also nice that they have a bin for used oil filters. Surprised by how much DIY activity there is in my rather wealthy town, I'm actually one of the po folk living on the edge of the wilderness...

I don't drop off as much as I used to, I burn a lot of the used dino oil in the IDIs, but the AZ by me has a back door right next to the tank, so it's not hard to get it in that way, I just ask if they would rather I drip all the way through the store! They open that black door every time!

Around here the limit is 5gal per week, they dont count though unless you are ridiculous or rude.

For example I dump 5 1.25gal jugs sometimes 6 or 7

if for some reason I end up with 10+ I just drop off at 2 different stores.

I change 4 tractors and 4 cars.. sometimes it can pile up pretty fast.

I don't know when the last time I've even had Autozone question my oil.

Granted the store I usually goes to knows me, and even though I often bring ~20 quarts at a time, I usually only bring in oil once or twice a year. They never take my info anymore. I just pour mine up into old 5 quart jugs(sometimes single quarts if I run out of 5 quarts, but they're a pain) and sharpie "Used" onto the label in big, bold letters. When I walk into the local Autozone, they usually ask me if I need the jugs back. When I say no, they'll point me to a cart or some such and say just to leave it there...I do as instructed and then just leave.

I just went to another store today with 4 more gallons. I need to do an oil change soon so that's another 3 gallons added to the pile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm chuffed to see a member quote rear admiral Hopper. As for the used oil return issue, our local auto parts stores require us to write the amount of returned oil into a ledger. The stores have a maximum amount of oil they are allowed to accept over a certain period. I don't return more used oil that I have purchased at the store. The most I ever returned was about 3 gallons.

Stude, you're one to talk about "attention getter posts." Like the forum needed the WalMart oil section pictures you recently posted. And if anything, your tantrums belong in the humor section.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Huh?? Your thread title has no connection to your story.....

Unless you snuck in the other jugs and got caught?

Half of what he posts belongs in the humor section
wink.gif

More important things to post about than this "attention getter" post. I take 5gallon pails of used oil to my work as Safety Kleen guy says they want as much as we can generate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back