High Mileage (75k+) oil in New car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by henni
Originally Posted by CT8
USA uses Fahrenheit.

...yet all my cars are programmed for kilometers and centigrade on their consoles, just as my homes are all wired for 240v systems, motors, pumps, all electrical systems ... in the USA
smile.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Pat Goss says no. Unnecessarily swelling valve seals wears them out prematurely.

I have spoke with Valvoline and Mobil people and they said no problem .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
If you are in-warranty, I recommend using the specified grade unless dave1251 has provided you with a written agreement to warranty your engine.

Obviously you have not had warranty work done a vehicle. Manufacturers from a warranty prospective do not care as long as a modern spec, not thinner than recommended and is changed at least at the recommended OCI.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by The Critic
If you are in-warranty, I recommend using the specified grade unless dave1251 has provided you with a written agreement to warranty your engine.

Obviously you have not had warranty work done a vehicle. Manufacturers from a warranty prospective do not care as long as a modern spec, not thinner than recommended and is changed at least at the recommended OCI.

This^
My mildly thicker grade oils are allowed and installed by Toyota dealers. Says I can right in the owners manual. One dealer gave me grief but finally agreed, another didn't even notice the grade I brought and said "Mobil 1 equivalent" lol.

If I have a mechanical issue they are only going to want to see receipts or their own service records that indicate services were done on time. The fact that my service records have extra severe service oil changes at tire rotation time is not going to reflect negatively on due diligence of maintenance.

As far as high mileage, I don't see a problem with them in new cars, had used valvoline maxlife when it came out in new vehicles and never had a problem in the duration of my owmerahip with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Pat Goss says no. Unnecessarily swelling valve seals wears them out prematurely.

This video held weight when HM oils were API SL and non-HM oils API SN. Now, they are all API SN. And as such, must meet the requirements of SN. HM oils just have more seal conditioner but are still within limits for an SN spec'd oil.

Originally Posted by csandste
For about the fifth time on this board. Pat is wrong, seals aren't swollen, they're conditioned. At least with Valvoline, HM is approved for all mileage cars. As far as STP, I can't remember who has the license. Used to be St. Louis blender J.D.Streett, but I think those days are over. Amalie? (Realize I can look this up, but too lazy, someone will tell me).

Do you guys use HM oil? I do in the Maxima. And if I stop using it, 3 serious leaks return within 500 miles. Sure, SN may play a role in making seals last longer, but the "conditioners" in standard SN oil do nothing to stop leaks once they are present. So no, Pat Goss is not wrong. There is something more to HM oil than extra conditioners.

Originally Posted by CT8

I have spoke with Valvoline and Mobil people and they said no problem .

Of course Valvoline and others say no problem. Why would they limit their sales? And if it does wear out the seals prematurely how would you prove it? They know you can't. You guys have been on here long enough to remember the deceased Mobil 1 website FAQ where the responses from exxon Mobil used the word "swellers" more than once. I saw it, i'm sure many more did too. Maybe exxon Mobil's choice of descriptive words was bad. Or maybe valvoline's use of the word "conditions" is not accurate. Either way, there is no doubt High Mileage oils stop leaks, that regular oil can't.

Originally Posted by jayg
Just buy some 0w20 and use that STP in other equipment you have. Get the right grade for warranty in case you have any issues.

Agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back