FlexHead Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

I love the Carlyle locking flex heads.

Last edited:
I like the way the QR button is flush, that is one of the small gripes I have with the Hazets. Not sure If I care for the locking feature though.

I have found the Carlyle locking feature is the only way to get a socket ON a buried fastener head that you can't otherwise touch.

I've tried flex heads that flop around when you try to position them on bolt heads, I have no use for them.

All mine are still not sloppy, what brand did that? I know the HF one is notorious for it but a belleville spring cures it permanently.

I have a Titan flex head ratchet and it is not bad for its price. After a few years of use and abuse (cheater pipe) the square drive broke. I just bought another one, on sale, to replace the old one and found that they have done away with the lock for the socket and the square drive is not hollow anymore. A convenience feature has been sacrificed for a stronger drive and I am glad they did that.

Titan Ratchet.jpg

Originally Posted by HangFire

I've tried flex heads that flop around when you try to position them on bolt heads, I have no use for them.

I would not buy a flex head ratchet that you could not re-tighten the flex joint.
At $120 (as I recall), the Snap-On 3/8 is a joy to use.
Perhaps a guilty pleasure...

I have a Snap On 3/8 flex head that flops around badly. The pivot is a pin staked in place, so there is no easy way to take the joint apart and add some loading to the joint. I hardly ever use the ratchet because of the flopiness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by George7941
I have a Snap On 3/8 flex head that flops around badly. The pivot is a pin staked in place, so there is no easy way to take the joint apart and add some loading to the joint. I hardly ever use the ratchet because of the flopiness.

Must be a pretty old ratchet?

On less expensive stuff like the HF being able to tighten it isn't enough, you have guys putting cardboard, plastic and all sorts of stuff in there as a temp fix. This is all you need, this size is a guess just measure the o.d, i.d and use a feeler for the required thickness, get one slightly thicker so it compresses and holds tension.

https://www.amazon.com/Metric-Belle...p;sr=8-20&keywords=belleville+spring

It's a US made Allen, I guess Danaher era. I can tighten the philips on the side and it helps a bit.

Maybe the Snap-On is awesome, but honestly the Carlyle is all I need, and checks all the boxes for me. 72T, small/thin head, flush quick release, locking flex head, long handle, comfort grip. It has already paid for itself this same year I bought it, and that's at the pedestrian pace of a homeowner/car maintenance hobbyist.

I does look like a decent tool no question. I cant knock it but its something I would have to try to give it a thumbs up, ratchets are funny things, no matter how many you have you always seem to reach for just one most of the time.
I literally have a big draw full of high quality ratchets but some have only been used a couple of time because I don't like the feel of them. The one I used only once and never again is the Wera Zyklop, I hate that thing with a passion but it cost too much to toss out.

My favorites are the Snap On 80T, Hazet 36T, Stahlwille 80T the new style HF composite (great in cold weather) and an 30 year old Master Pro.

Ratchets are funny things. My favorite t/4 is a lowly 23-tooth Stahlwille. The second best for me is Ko-Ken, also a low tooth count. They make those for a reason. Low back-drag and smooth operation

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by George7941

Must be a pretty old ratchet?

It sure is. In the late eighties I loaned a friend $100 and kept his collection of Snap On tools as collateral. Well spent $100. Those were my first Snap On tools and this ratchet is from that set. My friend might have bought it used from the Snap On truck, so the ratchet could very well be from the sixties.

100_1174.jpg

Looks to be late 1970's to early 1980's.......
There will be a number in-between the ON & OFF markings.....This number represents what year is was manufactured.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Snap-on started including the ratchet tooth count in the part number in mid to late 1978.
This is my 1978 FL720, The '78 catalog shows it as a FL711-B.....'79 catalog list the FL720.

[Linked Image]

One has 100T and 12.5 inches long and the other approx 7.75 long with 72T, one made in USA the other Taiwan. Looks the same to me, I have to go to HF and buy one so I can verify the misprint myself.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back