Infamous spark plug #8 in Chev LS engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
I have three and the Trans Am has NO ROOM. Never had a problem.

That's the truth!!

Back on topic -On LS trucks - I use a 1" extension to free the plug from underneath. You can do it up top, but underneath is a bit easier.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
I've done it in my 09 Suburban. Pretty sure I used a Snap On spark plug socket, a 1" extension and my favorite 3/8 flex head ratchet. I also did the Superman thing like Drivehard.

X2, Shortest 3/8" drive extension & a flex head ratchet will do it from up-top. Suburbans & Tahoes are the worse because the rear heat & A/C lines.

Thinking about it. i think i used a 3/8 ratchet with my pinless impact universal. I think i put the spark plug socket over the spark plug first then attached the short wobble extention to the impact universal. I did it from up top.

I usually start with what i think will be the hardest spark plug , then everything seems easier.

You will definitely need an extension and a flex head ratchet for that one, nothing overly difficult but it is a bit of an inconvenience.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Be happy it's not a modular Ford. I changed all 8 on a friends and wires in maybe 60-90min. Was missing from a melted boot. Extensions and swivels maybe? I don't remember any issue.

Compared to most applications, spark plugs on a Mod motor is a walk in the park. Because the engine sits lower on my Expedition than it does on my Grand Marquis, it may be a slight bit of a challenge, but all in all, it's not that bad. Changing plugs on my Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 was more of a pain than a Mod V8.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I have three and the Trans Am has NO ROOM. Never had a problem.

When I had my 98 Formula I was trying out a bunch of different spark plugs (different brands and different heat ranges), so eventually I got real good at doing that last plug. I have thin forearms though, and used a swivel extension, so I was able to get in there pretty easily. My best time for all 8 plugs was 44 minutes. That was on my 4th plug change though, my very first time it took about 2 hours.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
I don't remember it being all that difficult...just took a little "superman" effort.

What an great father/son moment! I have to admit that I'm a little jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back