9 mm or .22? I'm torn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
.22 for target shooting. 9mm if you have to shoot varmints.

But one thing to consider is that there are pistols that will fire both (and possibly other calibres too).

With the P226, for example, you can start with the .22 version and buy a 9mm conversion kit when you have some money to spare. However, Sig gear is fairly expensive, so a less expensive dedicated .22 and 9mm might end up cheaper.

The Buckmark and Mark IV (the whole Mark series actually) are pretty much the standards in this arena. My advice is to pick one with nice sights. For revolvers its likely the Single Six, GP101 and Smith and Wesson 17 and 617 (The S&W is over your budget)

I don't know anything about the Victory, sorry.

You might check out: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by Eosyn
I'm torn between a Ruger Security 9 and a Ruger SR22.

.......Two VERY mehhhhhh firearms. Not sure why you are stuck on either, but those guns are barely better than trash. And I LOVE Ruger firearms, just not "those" two firearms. I don't like any of their 9MM offerings, but their Mark 4 is a really nice world class .22 pistol, with 60 years of manufacturing history behind it.

For 9MM, look at Glock 17 or Smith & Wesson MP 2.0 (model 11521) . The Smith & Wesson routinely sells for $379-$399, less than $100 more than the Ruger Security 9 pistol, and is a MUCH better pistol. Save the money, buy the better gun. Whats $75 divided over your lifetime? $2 per year?........

I have to agree with Bubba here. For semi auto .22's, the ONLY Ruger to be considered are the Ruger Mark series. (Unless you're willing to pay well into 4 digits for the quality of a Smith & Wesson Model 41). And of those the Mark IV stands above the rest due to it's effortless, "one button", takedown and reassembly procedure. All the other Mark series are a PITA to field strip and reassemble. And they are all extremely accurate, and easy to shoot well. Especially the heavy, longer barreled models with adjustable target sights. If you are set on a .22 revolver, check out the new GP-100 in .22 L.R. It has a 10 shot cylinder, and is built on the same 100% Stainless Steel frame the .357 model is. A more rugged .22 revolver does not exist. And they can be reloaded much faster than a Single Six. Especially with the use of a speed loader. As a general rule avoid any .22 semi auto with an Aluminum slide. Many of them, like the Walther P-22 are very prone to slide cracking. Another .22 semi auto worth looking at is the Browning Buckmark series. Excellent quality and accuracy at an affordable price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wal...HdMjBN8QBQgrKAA&biw=1463&bih=497

And for 9 MM avoid Ruger like the plague. They can't seem to keep one model on the market for more than 15 minutes, without introducing another. Look at how many Ruger 9 MM pistols have come and gone since the Ruger P-85 was introduced, 33 years ago. Stick with decade proven designs like the Glock, or the CZ-75. Or even the Browning Hi-Power, if you can find one.

22LR. They're so easy to shoot.
Originally Posted by JLTD
Since you already have a shotgun, daughter worried about noise and pistol will be used for lots of range shooting, .22 to start and move up to 9mm later.

+1

since this pistol will be used by a newbie wife and daughter to happily introduce them to handguns i urge o.p. to look closely at the ruger sr22 because it is so user friendly. ruger mark series are heavy and only the mark4 is easy to fieldstrip. mark mags are best loaded with a helper, many are sold online. the ruger sr22 is easy to fieldstrip (cant be stressed enough) and you won't find mag loaders for sale online because it doesn't need them, sr22 mags are easy to load. it's not ammo finicky and it has swappable grips.

The Ruger Mark series that are /45 are designed with a grip like a M1911. I personally would not chose one and I shoot a LOT of M1911, I'd be looking at the non /45 Hunter or Target series.

Browning makes (or more accurately has made for them) quality firearms, you'll get quality from them. Again the particular one you posted wouldn't be my choice as it has a short barrel, unless you are going to carry - don't handicap yourself with a short barrel IMO.

I'm unfamiliar with that Beretta, but it looks like it is a GSG or Walther licensed pistol like most of the 1911/22 If you want a Beretta, buy a Beretta and a Practice Kit.

Shotguns are overrated as a home defense weapon. (Usually) big, heavy, loud, low capacity, slow to reload, and recoil. And then people recommend pump-action ones to newbs who will probably short-stroke and jam it when they need it the most.

Handguns require practice. So it's good the OP is going to have the family practice. Handguns are (usually) weaker than rifles but are more dangerous to the user than rifles. It's easy to get sloppy with them and point the barrel where it shouldn't be pointed, to hold it incorrectly, to limp-wrist it and it jams (semi-auto), to miss where you're aiming, etc. Lots of people are surprised when they shoot a handgun for the first time thinking it will be as easy as it looks on TV, but it's not.

As far as caliber goes, yes, .22 may not drop an attacker until he bleeds out a day later, but there is some truth to the theory that a home invader will run away after being shot by any gun of any caliber. So if a .22 is the most powerful gun a particular person can handle, a .22 with hopefully large capacity is still much better than trying to stop a home invader by using a pointy stick.

Need an inexpensive.22? Phoenix Arms HP22A. Small but not tiny small, inexpensive, gets plenty of praise, and mine only starts to have feeding problems if it hasn't been cleaned in 500 rounds. I can't say that about my 9mm Sig.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

I'm unfamiliar with that Beretta, but it looks like it is a GSG or Walther licensed pistol like most of the 1911/22 If you want a Beretta, buy a Beretta and a Practice Kit.

Correction, seems it is by Umarex. Which is basically the same thing...

I know it isn't one of your options, but I have a Glock 22RTF2 which is chambered in .40 S&W for home defense. It is the handgun that I have the most range time with both indoor and outdoor so I feel the most comfortable using it. I also have a FN Five-Seven for a backup.

That being said, a .22lr will scare an intruder but will most likely not take them down. You also want to make sure any handgun you use is comfortable in your hand and you are comfortable shooting. Try to find a gun store or range that has multiple rental options. I have memberships to a couple ranges who has rental guns for people who are not sure what they want to purchase.

9 MM or 380.

My wife likes our Taurus Millennium Generation 2 G2 PT 111 (we actually have the 1st generation)
She loves shooting this pistol and [censored] she is good. Low recoil for a smaller type gun, everything about it is easy and reliable. Lifetime warranty and the price is just stupid.
If you go to a range they may haev one you can rent and try out, I can almost assure you, your wife and daughter will love it, very comfortable to shoot.

I prefer the 380's for carry but not as fun to shoot do to kickback.

Last edited:
not gonna tell ya yay or nay on any caliber...people choose what they like & use based on biases, personal experience, and wisdom learned from trusted folks; just gonna share this...I have a 12ga pump...it only gets rotated into hd duty when there is upheaval, protesting, and rioting in major areas in the nation (bad sentiment spreads very fast); mostly I keep whatever ccw I am using & one other handgun in rotation...calibets include .380, .38 spl, 9mm, and .22lr; I shoot these various calibers with enough confidence to rotate them into hd/pd duty

The shotgun loaded with 00 buck would be my first choice for bad guys. Most important is practice time for your family. Gun skills should be practiced at a minimum of once every 3 months after mastery. Everyone says a shotgun is too big. I do not want my wife or daughter clearing the house. That is my job or the police. My wife and daughter are to get the shotgun and hunker down. Make the bad guy come to you and be ready. Give yourself all the advantages.

For a handgun I want my family equipped with 9mm for protection. A good choice in ammo like Federal HST or Ranger T all in 147 gr placed in center of mass is the best I can train them for. I prefer Glock so we are all familiar with the each others weapons.

Always wear ear protection. The recoil does not scare new shooters, it is the noise blast. Simple reflexes. Also train them to dry fire for practice. They will soon handle 9mm just fine. 40 S&W is too much recoil for most women.

If all this does not work for 9mm you can buy a 22lr conversion for the Glock and build them up to a 9mm while still keeping them familiar with the Glock platform.

You have to train enough so it is second instinct. In the real fight there will be action and adrenaline to overcome as well.
You will have to determine the best plan for your family based on your situation and their skill level. Each persons plan is based on their skill. If you have no gun skills you run or hide or get a knife. Stay alive is all that matters.

Sweezy, thank you for the post. Before this thread, I never thought about a plan of hunkering down in a locked room with a shotgun for the wife and daughter. I'm so glad I posted here because I'm getting a lot of useful information from everyone.

Does anyone know how good or bad Smith & Wesson customer service is? I'm considering their M&P22 to start and eventually move up to their M&P 9. If their customer service is crappy and they don't stand behind their products, I'll go with Ruger, either Mark IV or SR22 and move up to their 9mm.

For what it's worth, I have several S&W handguns, have put thousands of rounds through them, with no experience with their customer service...never needed them. Quality products. Like they say, the best warranty is the one you never have to use.

Originally Posted by PR1955
. Like they say, the best warranty is the one you never have to use.

Hmmm, very good point.

Originally Posted by Chris142
A .22 won't stop an intruder unless shot in the exact right spot. He can continue to come after you other wise. A .380 as mentioned or 9mm are a better choice.

But IMO a shotgun is a much better choice than a pistol.

Hard to plink with a shotgun.

Originally Posted by PR1955
For what it's worth, I have several S&W handguns, have put thousands of rounds through them, with no experience with their customer service...never needed them. Quality products. Like they say, the best warranty is the one you never have to use.

I have several S@W revolvers and I had to send a 442 back because of excessive end play. The service was no charge and the tech did a few other things. I guess they make sure all is well. That service was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back