Looking for 7-8 Passenger vehicle capable in snow/good MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 97 olds silhouette U-body with 205 or 215 all season tires that was a tank in the snow as there was plenty of weight on the contact patch. If you can find a base van without wide fancy tires it'll probably do better.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
How large are the people that will fit in the rear seats?

3 girls currently 13, 11, 4.

Does a Durango strike you as too small?

With your budget find a well-maintained one owner 2010+ Lexus RX Hybrid or gas motor version. Lexus jump-started the current cross-over rage back in 1998 when they introduced their RX to market. If not the RX the Highlander Hybrid would be my alternate recommendation. My wife's 2013 HH Limited has more than 150k+ miles on the clock and getting to 300K miles should be routine.

Not at allI know nothing about them.

Not at allI know nothing about them.

We have three kids, 14, 12 and 10. It seated us as a family just fine, even with two of them in the 3rd row. However, the third row isn't huge.

[Linked Image]

We've been pleased with our '11 Highlander. More recent models have a somewhat more spacious 3rd-row seat and still have a bit of interior luggage space behind that. Ours is only FWD, and uses the 2.7 liter 4-cylinder engine, and 6-speed transmission. With snow tires, it goes fine on any roads, plowed or not. 25-26mpg on the highway; 20 in town; a bit less on winter gas. 140K miles on it so far, with reasonable maintenance history. We have ours resprayed annually with Krown rust-proofing oil; the engine and transmission should go 300K miles without much problem.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
What about a newish Hyundai Santa Fe? Not the "Sport", those are smaller.

Here's a loaded low mileage 2016:
Santa Fe LINK

But you could probably talk a dealer down on a base model new one.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I own a Santa Fe XL and with the third row it would be perfect if one of your daughters (or two) wanted to bring a friend along for a day trip. I paid $30,000.00 for the same model (2017) as the one pictured in the link.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
AWD minivan. Everything else will be very expensive or get terrible mpg.

Not True-may be with the vehicles you own-but there is nothing on a Hyundai Santa Fe XL that's expensive to maintain. NOTHING.

Originally Posted by CKN

Santa Fe LINK

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I own a Santa Fe XL and with the third row it would be perfect if one of your daughters (or two) wanted to bring a friend along for a day trip. I paid $30,000.00 for the same model (2017) as the one pictured in the link.

My wife has a similar vehicle to the Sante Fe XL in a 2018 VW Tiguan with 7 passenger seating. The third row is more in a pinch but works for friends. It is a decent vehicle albeit too small for gear and longer trips so looking for something a bit larger. Incredibly it has achieved 29MPG average on regular fuel over 12000 miles.

I am hoping to find something larger that can achieve in the lower 20's but seems challenging.

Originally Posted by CKN

Santa Fe LINK

My wife has a similar vehicle to the Sante Fe XL in a 2018 VW Tiguan with 7 passenger seating. The third row is more in a pinch but works for friends. It is a decent vehicle albeit too small for gear and longer trips so looking for something a bit larger. Incredibly it has achieved 29MPG average on regular fuel over 12000 miles.

I am hoping to find something larger that can achieve in the lower 20's but seems challenging.

Another option is the Expedition. With the Ecoboost it may even be close to your mileage target.

Originally Posted by CKN

Santa Fe LINK

Another option is the Expedition. With the Ecoboost it may even be close to your mileage target.

To be clear around town MPG with some highway. Seems hard for a large or even minivans vehicle to achieve that.

To be clear around town MPG with some highway. Seems hard for a large or even minivans vehicle to achieve that.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Was Expedition suggestion done tongue in cheek? Why not Hummer H2 instead then?

The Ecoboost Expedition, for its size, really isn't that bad on fuel. It's rated at 17 city/24 highway, so mixed should be around 20. It has 375HP on tap and will comfortably seat the OP's 7 or 8 with luggage room.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
AWD minivan. Everything else will be very expensive or get terrible mpg.

Not True-may be with the vehicles you own-but there is nothing on a Hyundai Santa Fe XL that's expensive to maintain. NOTHING.

What does this have to do with the vehicles I own? And who said anything about maintenance? Expensive to buy. Try finding an AWD car that gets good mpg and seats 7-8 in New England and let me know how great of a deal it is.

Sounds like a hybrid would be a good choice. I don't know what's available in 3-row AWD hybrids. Pacifica hybrid should get good mileage, but not available with AWD.

2008+ Highlander Hybrids are good. 3rd row and AWD available. Pre-2008 Highlander Hybrids had spontaneous Inverter issues and batteries didn't last long. But they had more power, a lot more than the post-2008 Hybrid Highlanders.
Perfect example of Power vs Reliability trade-off.

+4 on an AWD Sienna.
It will be VERY reliable and durable, very roomy and comfortable (better than ANY mid-size SUV/CUV, especially in the third row), very good luggage space (better than any mid-size SUV/CUV, especially when carrying 7 or 8 passengers), has plenty of power with excellent traction, gets good gas mileage (20+ in the city and 25+ on the highway using regular gas, better than anything else with comparable interior volume), and has a timing chain for lower long-term maintenance costs. You should be able to find a nice used one in your price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back