Dumping Verizon Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to Howardforums for whatever you need about the telephone. I use MVNO, AirVoice Wireless, on at&t network for $10/month. I don't use cellphone much but if you need data there are many MVNOs that offer competitive prices.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
I'm on Straight talk from Walmart $55 for unlimited everything 4G speed/GSM (uses ATT towers), But I think data is capped at 20GB and no tethering or hotspot allowed
smirk.gif

Yes, I used Straight Talk for a year or two and it was great, we had a knowledgeable person in Walmart who knew based on what phone I selected if I would be on Verizon/Sprint or ATT. I went for the ATT and was very happy with it, it was our first in almost 15 years contract free phone and I was sold on the idea. No question, I liked Staight talk for the single line.

Some time later ATT bought Cricket and offered the killer multi phone line deals, moved my family over to Cricket (which is ATT) total bill is $90 for the 3 phones, at one point had my son on the plan and it was $100 for 4 lines.
At the time we were paying Sprint over $150 a month for 3 lines! Better service/coverage by far with Cricket too.

Bottom line, yes, no contract rules, no matter what service you choose, your not stuck with anyone, simply cancel and switch to someone else, contracts are for people who cant afford the phones they want to use, think about that, people take out loans to buy a telephone. :eek:)

BTW- its been like this in countries overseas for YEARS. Only in the USA, people take out loans for phones they can not afford to buy ... :eek:)

Last edited:
Greetings All-
Figured out how to save pics from Verizon Gallery. Very easy.

Read many opinions regarding cell phone plans. Going with T-Mobile. $70 for two lines (tax and all fees included), unlimited 4G LTE data, text and phone. No contract. Works in 160 countries. Killer Black Friday deals on smart phones, too. Some appear to be capable of supporting super fast 5G, supposedly coming in 2019.
Researched cell plans and speeds among the review sites. The popular Toms Guide (among others) field tested the most popular plans across the US in 2018. Verizon was best but T-Mobile was runner up. Cricket (AT&T) was 7th (out of 9 or 10). Its download speed averaged about 6.5 mbps while its big brother AT&T was about 37mbps. T-Mobile was also about 37 but higher in some cities. Verizon hit 58 in NYC. Cricket maybe ok for light use like email and internet browsing but not for streaming video/music or uploading, in my opinion. Don't know if these speeds are representative but do point out the relative speeds among the plans.
I'm a little concerned with T-Mobile customer service reviews and its coverage but seems it better than it was. Sprint supposedly will merge with T-Mob and combined coverage should be good. The new 600 Mhz band promises better coverage in the countryside and metal building penetration. Good thing is we can cancel at any time as I'm unsure about all the claims.

You don't say what plan you signed up for but I assume it's the T-Mobile 55 plus plan. If so just so you know and even though you miss read my posts I have nothing against T-mobile but you can be any age with Cricket.
I just like to see the actual facts and I'm not perfect by any means.

Anyway streaming on any phone 7 megabits per second is plenty, definitely not just for light usage and to give you an idea if you have the 55 plus plan your streaming is limited to 1.5 megabits per second on T-Mobile.

I'm just pointing this out because you're knocking in an indirect way Cricket service by saying you don't think seven megabits is enough. I can tell you now anyone would have a hard time telling the difference in speed on a cell phone, heck most phones wouldn't be able to process that much information that quickly.

Also even though you can use your T-Mobile in other countries its data and text only not voice and if you use that it's only a hundred and twenty kilobits per second which is nothing if you wanted to stream.
If you call from one of those other countries besides Mexico and Canada it has to be on a Wi-Fi network and they charge you $0.25 per minute.

One nice thing that T-Mobile does allow is tethering and that you cannot do with cricket but you would have to look the details because I think that's limited also and roaming data is severely limited at 200 megs as well.

I took this from the TMobile website...

Screenshot_20181118-194345.png

Last edited:
By the way for those who don't know if you travel overseas and simply connect your phone to any Wi-Fi network you can call or text anyone in the world for free using an app called Viber.
It's absolutely amazing and have used it extensively when traveling outside the country.
Plus if course apps like FaceTime ect.

Greetings
Use the WhatsApp app. Not only call/text but video call. All for free on any smart phone.
I think FaceTime is for Apple phones/tablets only

Yes. Your correct FaceTime only Apple, my company uses Whatsapp.

I do strongly recommend, if anyone interested, try Viber, no kidding around, does all 3, phone, text, video, anyplace in the world, free, as long as you can connect to wifi, think it's also CNET (or one of those) "editors choice"

I'm sure Whatsapp must be good but I only use it with my company for group texting, so not up to date with other stuff it does.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

One nice thing that T-Mobile does allow is tethering and that you cannot do with cricket but you would have to look the details because I think that's limited also and roaming data is severely limited at 200 megs as well.

Cricket roaming works if you use an unlocked phone such as galaxy s8. It wont work with cricket only phones.

About the only place you notice the 8mbits is if I am tethered to the laptop for work, or updating apps etc.

tmobile is garbage here, you go into the grocery store you cant call out.. despite having 3 bars outside.
also no coverage many places that verizon and att have.. such as by Carrollton Ohio.

I am happy they plan on offering a service that works inside commercial buildings but it hasnt made it here yet.

My cricket service has 3 bars inside a fully lined metal cooler 30'x20' (with door open) when I had tmobile if I was more than 50ft inside building no service.. it would lie and say 3 bars but you couldnt call or do any internet etc.

Even sprint has way better coverage here.

folks still making cdma vs gsm comments are living in the past..
verizon's CDMA network only applies up to the 3G network.
The 4G standard is GSM based. (you may have noticed that when 4G phones came out, verizon started using Sim Cards, something they had never done before)

the difference lies in what bands of 4G Spectrum the different carriers use.

your verizon phone may not have the right radios for the frequency bands other carriers use.

also, Verizon is phasing out their old non 4GLTE network. any phone that's Not LTE pretty much won't work after Fall of '19.(Canadian carriers discontinued their CDMA networks back in '16)
Verizon has already stopped activating non-LTE Phones.

that's not to say they are discontinuing basic flip phones, you just need to get a new LTE model.

I stick with Verizon, mainly because they are the only ones with decent coverage in my area. a friend of mine moved to Columbus a year ago, and he and his hubby switched to T-Mobile.

when he comes back up here to visit, he essentially has no signal unless he's within a mile or so corridor along a 4 lane divided Highway....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

Cricket roaming works if you use an unlocked phone such as galaxy s8. It wont work with cricket only phones.

About the only place you notice the 8mbits is if I am tethered to the laptop for work, or updating apps etc.

tmobile is garbage here, you go into the grocery store you cant call out.. despite having 3 bars outside.
also no coverage many places that verizon and att have.. such as by Carrollton Ohio.

I am happy they plan on offering a service that works inside commercial buildings but it hasnt made it here yet.

My cricket service has 3 bars inside a fully lined metal cooler 30'x20' (with door open) when I had tmobile if I was more than 50ft inside building no service.. it would lie and say 3 bars but you couldnt call or do any internet etc.

Even sprint has way better coverage here.

Not sure when you last had TMobile and encountered these problems, but things have really improved with their coverages in the past two years.

One nice thing that T-Mobile does allow is tethering and that you cannot do with cricket but you would have to look the...

I assume you meant to say Cricket teathering as all Cricket phones roam as far as I experienced.
Meaning my Cricket phone works the same places my Verizon phone.

One nice thing that T-Mobile does allow is tethering and that you cannot do with cricket but you would have to look the...

I assume you meant to say Cricket teathering as all Cricket phones roam as far as I experienced.
Meaning my Cricket phone works the same places my Verizon phone.

Yep, one doesn't need Verizon, when their Cricket phone works everywhere Verizon works.

One needs Verizon when their Cricket and/or TMobile phones don't work in all the places Verizon works..... which are generally either in remote areas of our country, or in a crunched place where verious electronics or tall buildings are present.

For several years, my deer hunting partner's Verizon worked - but not my TMobile or ATT phones. That used to tick me-off plenty, until I found out how much higher his monthly bill was....... almost double-that of mine.

So I will sacrifice 3 or 4 of those embarrassing incidents per year, to benefit saving $500 per year on my phone bill. Each of my 3-4 lost calls were not worth over $100 a-piece to lose. Sure glad now (my wallet is glad) I lost those calls. So if one doesn't need a phone to conduct business that provides a weekly paycheck, then that person does not need a Verizon phone...... which is 90% of Americans today.

If it makes you feel any better there are sometimes where my AT&T Cricket phone will work when my Verizon will not here in South Carolina. I travel to some remote areas and I think it's safe to say pretty much I will have that issue pretty evenly between AT&T and Verizon but of course different areas of the country I think we have to give the edge to Verizon. At this point anyway. Maybe.

Years ago, Verizon used to be the gold standard for service - they had a pretty solid network and charged accordingly. Now, except for Sprint in most urban to suburban areas and even to the country, I noticed AT&T and T-Mobile are catching up fast. AT&T had a pretty bad rap after a botched TDMA to GSM switchover(AT&T bought out CellularOne which had as good as a network as GTE whom Verizon bought out in the 1990s), ironically Cingular's network caught up(which AT&T acquired) but the iPhone put pressure on AT&T to beef things up.

My parents are on the 1st T-Mobile Uncarrier plan and they seem to be happy with it. Paying less than AT&T. But now with MetroPCS fully in the T-Mobile mend and offering Amazon Prime, I might switch over when I give up my company phone.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by fordman65
Save them to the Google cloud..

That's what I did. Our bill was $270/ month for the 2 of us! Had enough of Verizon and switched to metro pcs. Free phones instead of paying monthly like Verizon did us and only $92/ month unlimited everything.

May I ask what your plan consisted of? I only ask out of curiousity because I have 4 lines with Verizon, unlimited everything and my bill is $240.

Sounds like rented phones contributed to that $270 bill for only 2.

I'm curious also, for my wife & I have never paid over $130 for two phone lines and never paid more than $50 a-piece, for any upgraded phones.
I have not been with Verizon since .... well almost since theY2K chatter.

Last edited:
We have Tmobile and currently pay around $200 for 7 voice and 2 mobile internet lines. They work pretty well overseas and include 128K/sec free data, enough for email, text and a bit of browsing. Generally we just get a local SIM or a hotspot. Tmobile has a $50/mo add-on which includes 15GB of overseas data and LTE speed and free Gogo internet on your flight. A dual SIM phone and a local SIM is still your cheapest option.

Domestically is another story: T-Mobile still lacks coverage in many rural, off-interstate areas (we have an AT&T hotspot for that) and has a low 200MB roaming cap (which lasts about an hour). Cities and ski resorts are well covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back