Penrite HPR5 5w-40 base stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know what the base stock makeup is of HPR5? It's more of a curiosity question. Also is it a 'thick' or 'thin' xW-40?

I'm using it in my AMG E55 as it's MB229.5 approved and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks hpb. I was hoping to hear from him!

I just looked up the viscosity. It's 14.4 at 100c which puts it right in the middle of the 40 range (12.5 - 16.3). ðŸ‘

Couldn't find anything about the basestock though. It does have a pretty decent VI of 167 so guessing group 4. Does anyone actually know?

Originally Posted by Petropolymers
A large portion of Group III according to the MSDS.

Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic CAS 64742-54-7 >70%

Thanks petropolymers.

Interesting. SR5 said in another post that the Penrite Vantage Fully Synthetic is also group III.

Hi Guys,

I believe the Penrite HPR full synthetics are all Group III.

Look at this chart
Penrite Oil PDF

They have two columns "Full Synthetic" and "Full Synthetic PAO Ester", which means to me if it's not in the PAO and Ester column, then it's a Group III synthetic.

Basically both Nulon and Penrite are very quick to tell you if they are using PAO / Ester / AN, so by default, if they don't claim it, then it's Group III - which is fine.

I like the Penrite HPR oils, and the HPR 5 (5W40) has real MB 229.5 certification, so it's good to go for your E55 (nice car BTW).

It's a middle of the range 40 grade oil

Castrol RX Super 15W40 HDEO (API CI-4 Plus / SL, ACEA E7) KV100 = 15.9 cSt
Castrol GTX 15W40 UltraClean ( SN & A3/B3) KV100 = 14.5 cSt
Penrite HPR5, 5W40, KV100 = 14.4 cSt
Valvoline SynPower 0W40, KV100 = 13.3 cSt
M1 0W40 FS, KV100 = 12.9 cSt

The chart linked above, also lists zinc levels, it's work down loading.

That's awesome SR5. Thanks mate.

Yes, looks like only their 10-10ths racing range is group 4 and 5.

Real MB229.5 certification is a good thing even though the Vantage Full Synthetic 10w-40 meets 229.5. I'll keep using the HPR5 because it's certified.

BTW, supercheap had a killer deal 2 weeks ago, 50% off. Thats 6 litres for $35!

Cheers. ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by dirtydannyd
HPR5 .......a killer deal 2 weeks ago, 50% off. Thats 6 litres for $35!

That is a very good price, nice work.

While in Aus Group-III oils are marketed as 'Synthetic' (you'd have a hard time arguing that Helix Ultra oils are not synthetic, but are chemically a Group-III;)) any of the 'boutique' oil blenders (and yes Penrite and Nulon fall well within this category) know the marketing benefits of PAO / ESTER / AN base stocks.

Look at Penrite's 10/10th range, Nulon's 0W40, Nulon's 5W30 Europena Enge Oil and Nulon Race oils for example. If they're using 'exotic' base stocks, you can be sure they'll be telling you.

From Nulon:

Originally Posted by Nulon
Full Synthetic 5W-30 European Engine Oil
Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 European Engine Oil is approved under VW Standard 504.00 and VW Standard 507.00 for Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda and Seat petrol and diesel vehicles within manufacturer warranty periods.

PAO base stocks matched with advanced high-performance additives create the ultimate engine oil for these modern European engines during long drain service intervals.

As a result of this, it's the oil I recommend to my mates with VAG cars (As Helix Ultra 0W30 is still thin on the ground.)

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted by SR5
Hi Guys,

I believe the Penrite HPR full synthetics are all Group III.

Look at this chart
Penrite Oil PDF

They have two columns "Full Synthetic" and "Full Synthetic PAO Ester", which means to me if it's not in the PAO and Ester column, then it's a Group III synthetic.

Basically both Nulon and Penrite are very quick to tell you if they are using PAO / Ester / AN, so by default, if they don't claim it, then it's Group III - which is fine.

I like the Penrite HPR oils, and the HPR 5 (5W40) has real MB 229.5 certification, so it's good to go for your E55 (nice car BTW).

It's a middle of the range 40 grade oil

Castrol RX Super 15W40 HDEO (API CI-4 Plus / SL, ACEA E7) KV100 = 15.9 cSt
Castrol GTX 15W40 UltraClean ( SN & A3/B3) KV100 = 14.5 cSt
Penrite HPR5, 5W40, KV100 = 14.4 cSt
Valvoline SynPower 0W40, KV100 = 13.3 cSt
M1 0W40 FS, KV100 = 12.9 cSt

The chart linked above, also lists zinc levels, it's work down loading.

SR5,
Does HPR 5W40 (or any other Penrite xW40 that you know of ) carries a Moly/Boron/Titanium additives in its formulations ?
If yes, it may help in this thread.

Originally Posted by zeng

Does HPR 5W40 (or any other Penrite xW40 that you know of ) carries a Moly/Boron/Titanium additives in its formulations ?
If yes, it may help in this thread.

Originally Posted by Penrite

Zinc is part of an anti-wear Additive used to coat metal surfaces and be a sacrificial agent against wear. Penrite products containing FULL ZINC have between 1000 - 1600 PPM (Parts Per Million) of zinc. Penrite 10 Tenths Racing and Premium Full Synthetic Oils contain FULL ZINC+, which have optimised Zinc Levels plus Boron and an organomolybdenum complex (Racing 0 & 5 only), to lift the total level of the anti-wear package to over 1800+ ppm for the Premium FS range and 2200+ ppm for the Racing range.

Together with FULL ZINC and EXTRA TEN, this combination provides an EXTRA LAYER or DOUBLE LAYER of engine wear protection over normal engine oils at operating temperature. This ADDED LAYER of protection from FULL ZINC and EXTRA TEN improves wera protection and engine longevity.

Link = here

Looks like Penrite run with a Boron additive booster only their 10/10th's range with MoDTC in 2 limited cases. One cannot say for sure, without a VOA as to the actual levels and specific mix's of these additives.
Penrite however, do-not use any Ti based antiwear additives. ONly Castrol and 1 or 2 others do (i believe there are some trade secret / patent pending hocus-pocus going on in regards to it.

If you' looking for a high quality synthetic that has a good blend of both BN and MoDTC, you can't got past Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. It's a 'lite' 40wt that meets A3/B4, SN, BMW LL-01, Ferrari, Porsche A40...
Or for something chock full of BN, Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W30 which has close to 500ppm Boron
wink.gif
It's a 'heavy' 30wt, meets SN, C2/C3, VW504/507. (Works awesome on old Saab turbo's
laugh.gif
)

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Penrite looks to have some nice blends, BUT $$$ to buy on the USA, otherwise i would prolly give some a go!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back