1931 Pierce-Arrow Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am contemplating what I am going to do, post overhaul, for oil filtration. This car was built a couple years before Pierce went to hydraulic lifters, so the filtration was a bypass system that used a disposable filter with a 3/8 threaded fitting at either end; very similar to the one used by some Chrysler products until the 1960s I understand. Of course this element is completely obsolete.
I can buy unused old filters, but I am advised to not trust them; I can add an adaptor with a spin-on full-flow filter with an orifice on the inlet to limit the flow and keep the correct oil pressure in the system. I am also considering one of the modern bypass systems available now.
The spin-on will catch only larger particles, but it would probably be roughly equivalent to the original system in performance; the modern, bypass filter, will be more effective if advocates are correct, but this may be overkill on a lightly-used classic engine with low stress to begin with. Opinions?

There is a good chance you can get a bypass filter and filter element from a good Napa store.

My Hastings LF334 crosses over to a Baldwin B164 (B50 is shorter)... Fram P3404, and the Napa/Wix 1704/51704

The Baldwin B50 crosses to a Fram PB50, and the Napa/Wix 1050/51050

The threaded filter base mount runs about $20 or so.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The threaded filter base mount runs about $20 or so.

Baldwin OB1305 part # -> into Wix ..we get..

UPC Number: 765809247550
Principal Application: By-Pass Filter Base to Add Spin-on By-Pass Filter on Small Gas and Diesel Engines. (51050, 51051 or 51320 May be Used)
All Applications
Style: Filter Mounting Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back