Should light switches be grounded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My house was built in 2015 and has plastic junction boxes. I went to replace the ceiling fan wall switch with a speed selector switch and discovered that the switches weren't grounded. Further investigation found that none of my light switches are grounded. The switches all have the green ground screw but nothing is attached to it. Is this an issue that should be addressed or is it acceptable? I obviously know nothing about electricity so any help is appreciated. The house is in Clark county Indiana if that matters for building code.

My 2 cents: I'm no Electrician.
I had the same question several years ago when I was putting NEW wall switches in.

The Original switches did not have a ground screw.
The ground wires were in the box, just never connected.

After doing some internet searches, I figured it would be easy enough to connect the ground wires to NEW switches.
That is what the ground screw is for after all.
And how often do you replace a wall switch ?

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

My house was built in 1958. My dad bought it in 1974. Several of its switches have been there since 74 that I know of.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

My house was built in 1958. My dad bought it in 1974. Several of its switches have been there since 74 that I know of.

My brothers house was built in 1920. Some of the switches look to be WW2 era or so. Most of the switches have been updated over the past thirty years but there are still some old switches and they work. Until they quit there is no need to replace.

If you are replacing a switch a ground is not required, as per the above exception. However, if you're installing a switch; replacement or otherwise, into a metal box that is grounded. The switch will be ground via the devices yoke and mounting screws. So if the metal box is grounded, the switch is also grounded.

If the box is nonmetallic, and there are other grounded devices within the same enclosure. You can ground the new switch using a jumper between the switches grounding screw, and the other devices grounding screw. Just keep in mind, that you can't terminate two conductors under a single screw terminal. So if you do this, you'll have to use pigtails to make the connection between the devices.

I guess my question is wether or not this is a problem. Shouldn't it have been done when the house was built? It's not quite 3 years old. I'm considering calling the builder and asking that he have it corrected

Your town may follow a couple-versions old version of the NEC. So being built in 2015 they may have gone off a 2009-ish version.

If the power goes to the fan box and they then drop a side-line to the switch, there'd be no neutral, but still a ground. Shoddy work.

Really, this should be a question for an Electrician in your area.

But, my 2c worth ...
Wiring for Lighting might have allowed 2-wire connections when your home was built. Non-lighting applications would require 3-wire (Hot, Neutral, Ground) wiring.

The NEC changed in 2011 to no longer allow that type of wiring for lighting, and now requires 3-wire with ground.

Again, you should really be asking an Electrician this, but as a rule of thumb you can *repair* electrical devices and wiring in your home yourself without a Permit and without a Licensed Electrician signing off on the permit. Basically means something like replacing a light switch with the exact same type of light switch, and similar kinds of repair.

You cannot *alter* electrical devices or wiring in your home yourself without having a Licensed Electrician either do the work or inspecting your work and signing off on a Permit. Basically means new installations, running new wire to the breaker box, installing new hard-wired (not plugged into a socket) devices, etc require an Electrician at some point on the job.

Broadly speaking a commercial Electrician would insist on doing the whole job anytime a Permit is required, but someone you know might agree to inspect and sign off. He is risking considerable liability if the job doesn't meet code so he will want to direct you on what must be done and how, so that you do it properly.

Generally speaking whenever you alter an electrical system in a home, you are required to bring it up to current Code. If you are only repairing, maybe not.

I've always felt that switches installed in damp or potentially damp locations should be grounded, and on a GFCI breaker-IMO it's risky to run them without GFCI.

Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad
Really, this should be a question for an Electrician in your area.

But, my 2c worth ...
Wiring for Lighting might have allowed 2-wire connections when your home was built. Non-lighting applications would require 3-wire (Hot, Neutral, Ground) wiring.

The NEC changed in 2011 to no longer allow that type of wiring for lighting, and now requires 3-wire with ground.

Again, you should really be asking an Electrician this, but as a rule of thumb you can *repair* electrical devices and wiring in your home yourself without a Permit and without a Licensed Electrician signing off on the permit. Basically means something like replacing a light switch with the exact same type of light switch, and similar kinds of repair.

You cannot *alter* electrical devices or wiring in your home yourself without having a Licensed Electrician either do the work or inspecting your work and signing off on a Permit. Basically means new installations, running new wire to the breaker box, installing new hard-wired (not plugged into a socket) devices, etc require an Electrician at some point on the job.

Broadly speaking a commercial Electrician would insist on doing the whole job anytime a Permit is required, but someone you know might agree to inspect and sign off. He is risking considerable liability if the job doesn't meet code so he will want to direct you on what must be done and how, so that you do it properly.

Generally speaking whenever you alter an electrical system in a home, you are required to bring it up to current Code. If you are only repairing, maybe not.

The ceiling fan switches are not grounded either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back