Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Was going to pickup new tires but found those

Apparently only 3000kms on them

[Linked Image]

They look little bold

Go in there with the oe spec from a pdf you'll find and a tread gauge. There are lots of tires with only 3k on them. Just sayin'. Plus check the DOT date code to see if it's plausible they only ran one winter.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I was under the impression that snowies wore faster than normal temp tires?

If you run them in warm weather, yes. If you're careful and put them on when cold and remove before it gets warm, they last a long time.
I've had 10 - 12 cars with winters and I have never bought replacement winters. One had over 180,000 miles on it - yes, same original winters. And about 75% tread left.

Measure them all across all tread blocks, and several places around the tires, each! If your putting them on an all wheel drive they must be pretty close, I can't remember where I read the acceptable tolerance, but it was probably Subaru data. Maybe .020 for all wheel drive.

What kind of vehicle are you going to put those tires on? Those look like DM V-2's which are light truck 1/2 ton or full size SUV's. They have stiffer side walls, but I have them on my Subaru and they are good for me. Many people that install them on cars don't really like them cause their vehicle does not weight enough. Sooo, what ya gonna put them on?

Winter Compound tires ( not just lug tread mud/snow types) have a low temperature layer of rubber on a regular tire core. So the "sticky" part of the winter tread is not all the way down to the wear indicators. It varies by tire brand etc but it's usually about half of the total available tread depth. So used winter tires should have lots of the original tread depth left if you're considering buying them over new.

Going by the photo (and it's nowhere near ideal to go by just one photo) it looks like two of those tires are worn about to the point where the sticky low temperature winter portion of the tread is almost gone (tire No 2 & 3), and two still have lots of tread left (Nos 1 & 4).

I bought a set of mildly used Continental WinterContacts mounted on clean OEM aluminum Honda wheels off CL for $450 and I couldn't be happier. As long as they are recent date codes, what are y'all worried about? Tires are meant to be consumable. Might as well use them up if the price is right.

I have two used Blizzacks for sale locally, mounted on 17" Chev/GMC wheels. I changed trucks recently, don't need them.

Of course check them out, but there are legitimate reasons for used tire sales.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
What is their age?

I don't mind buying used stuff in general, but winter tires is one thing that I would never buy used.

I disagree 100%. I have had great success buying winter tires but as others have mentioned look at not just tread depth but date code. Its too easy to spend more on a used set just because "they cost $xxx new." I made that mistake with some new-old-stock type Michelin's a couple of years ago. Replaced those with a real steal on some used Blizzaks.

Now, all that said, make sure you price out what some new options would cost. If you can get setup for, say $500 with new and used 2-season old tires are running $300 on the market then are you really saving any money long run?

Those Blizzaks were a beast in snow, it was a mild winter but I had to run my Mustang all winter. It did fine one morning through 10 inches of thick, wet crap. Other years, other pony cars, have done great with iPike W409, Yoko Iceguards and Michelin X-ice2. Sometimes new, sometimes used depending on what pricing and availability was like

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by maxdustington
I was under the impression that snowies wore faster than normal temp tires?

If you run them in warm weather, yes. If you're careful and put them on when cold and remove before it gets warm, they last a long time.
I've had 10 - 12 cars with winters and I have never bought replacement winters. One had over 180,000 miles on it - yes, same original winters. And about 75% tread left.

Problem is, put 'em on around Thanksgiving and take them off in April, and that's a lot of chances for warm weather. [We just had a white Thanksgiving, and the last time I slid off the road was during an April snowstorm that dumped something like 6 inches.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back