2013 Ram front fender rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I took my truck to the dealer today to have my front fenders looked at as the paint is bubbling/rusting in places on both sides.

Long story short, the dealer told me I was SOL as my 5yr warranty was up. My Truck was purchased in June of 2013, so I am 5 months too late and he offered no goodwill coverage as he said FCA will turn him down.

These fenders are backordered and that was confirmed by him, plus he told me, because they are so busy dealing with these paint issues, even if he could take me in, he wouldn't be able to book me in until the end of January.

He gave me a 1-800 number to call and wished me luck but I haven't called yet as I'd like to get some info/ammo first.
I am not even sure how to go about this or exactly what to say when I do call?

Has anyone else had their fenders bubble/rust like this? The bubbles are popping up more and more in all different places on the front fenders only.
I have read/been told, there is foam or some type of insulator tape behind the front fenders that holds moisture/salt/crud and even if undercoated/rust proofed, they will or can still rust in these places.
My truck only has 72,000 kms on it (44,000 miles)

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.
cheers3.gif

WHAT'S COVERED UNDER CHRYSLER GROUP LLC'S WARRANTIES2.2 Corrosion WarrantyA. Who Is Covered?You are covered if you are a purchaser for use of thevehicle.B. What's CoveredThis warranty covers the cost of all parts and laborneeded to repair or replace any sheet metal panels thatget holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occursbecause of something other than corrosion, this warrantydoes not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — result-ing, for example, from stone chips or scratches in thepaint — is not covered. For more details on what isn'tcovered by this warranty, see 3.5.8C. How Long It LastsThe Corrosion Warranty starts when your Basic LimitedWarranty begins under 2.1(E).This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:• For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with nomileage limit.• For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that isfinish-painted and that someone can see when walk-ing around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occursfirst.

WP_20170408_13_05_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20170408_13_05_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20170408_13_05_47_Pro.jpg

That's nothing compared to the Rams around here. I've noticed alot of rear quarters around the wheel wells all rusted out. Tailgates and bumpers to

Sorry to hear your trouble. I didn't realize that the tradition of rusted Fiat sheet metal had been passed on to the Ram trucks. The story goes that Fiats in the 1970's started rusting as soon as they were unloaded at the Baltimore docks.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Ya, pretty common problem. I soaked mine with Krown undercoating and been good so far.

Mine's been soaked pretty good as well but I have also been told some of the Rams don't have the foam/insulator tape behind the fenders?
The guy I took the truck to when it was new did an amazing job, imo. I use to do them myself but this guy was just as anal as I was.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
That can be fixed easily if you catch it quick. I would rather invest in a set of rust free fenders though.

Unfortunately, Max, that spot and others are much worse now. Nobody's fault but my own for not taking it in sooner.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
This thread is a big reason I bought a F150 nine months ago instead of a RAM.

I'm not trying to be a smart a** here but you might want to look into Ford paint/rust issues. They have some serious issues as well, like a lot thought they would when they came out with aluminum panels.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mani...up-with-flaking-paint-problems-1.3261390
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/aluminum-body-paint-durability-372367/
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/paint-new-aluminum-body-402885/
https://www.f150forum.com/f2/aluminum-problems-313882/

I think it's more odd to see a ram not rust that's 3 or more years old . There is a reason why Rams are thousands cheaper than any other truck .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I think it's more odd to see a ram not rust that's 3 or more years old . There is a reason why Rams are thousands cheaper than any other truck .

Other than this current paint bubbling issue, my Ram has been excellent and by far the best truck I have ever owned. My last pile of GM sh*t couldn't go fast enough!
I think I put more miles on it driving it to the dealer than I did anywhere else. Replacing the engine at 7,000 kms was the highlight but the list of other issues was long as well.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Well, that simply sucks big time, Irv. Anyone without blinders on knows that all of the big three truck brands have one ailment or another. Choose your poison. Rust-through at 5 years is simply not acceptable and is indicative of faulty methods. This confirms my opinion that vehicles in general have taken a step backwards in corrosion protection. It's also a common belief that the intensity and types of road deicing chemicals have worsened.

I suppose you can study the subject matter and attempt to battle with the manufacturer for some assistance addressing this. On rare occasions they cave. Maybe talk to a Lemon Law lawyer, if they have them in Canada, to gain information on how to battle this. Maybe make this into a media circus if taking the nice guy approach fails.

Here in southern Michigan, it is not uncommon to see this start happening around year 8. I decided to have my current 5 year old vehicle Krowned annually (knock on wood, fingers crossed). Many people here question Krown usage and it's cost effectiveness. Their warranty would have covered this if it had been applied annually and it provides some peace of mind (priceless, LOL).

Sorry you have to deal with this on a nice vehicle.

Originally Posted by Kjmack

We have 5x 2012's at work and 2x2015's. None of them have any rust. They've been treated by Rust Check these last few years, but prior to that received nothing.

Even if you fell within the rust warranty period It usually only covers rust hole perforations, not bubbling paint from rust forming behind the paint. by the time you got the rust perforation hole you'd most likely be out of the "rust warranty coverage" period. Body on frames pick up trucks & SUV's seem to be affected more than other vehicles with rust issues. Probably because of the vast wide open expanses of exposed sheet metal. I had 2 newly bought F-150's, a 1989 & 2002, in addition to the sheet metal rust forming within 6 years the frames turned to swiss cheese and were unsafe. Today you pay $45,000+ for a pick up truck and it quickly rusts to worthlessness while mechanically it's still great
mad.gif

Whimsey

Oh that sucks.. I've seen ~6yr/old GM and Ford trucks with rust too, so it's not just a FCA thing.

Could you try another Ram dealer? A lot of this depends on the service adviser you're dealing with. I had a thread going some months back in regards to rust spots on the lift gate of our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan. We were over the 36K mile Nissan limit at the time, but when I calmly pressed the SA on the issue he escalated it up the chain. They ultimately covered 90% of the repair, but I think it had more to do with it was barely 2yrs old and spent the first 1.5yrs in a non rust-belt climate. It cost me like $50 and a few days of no van.

Unfortunately, I think the fact that your truck is ~6yrs/old won't do you any favors.
frown.gif
It just really sucks because it barely has any miles on it.

You could Demel off the bubble and hit it with touch up paint in those areas. Worst case, two new fenders, paint and labor would probably be in the $1000 range maybe? Or grind, paint / POR15 those spots and throw on some fender flairs?

Last edited:
I would immediately get a can of Rust Check, Krown, FF or RustCure and spray the inside of both fenders generously. This should hold out throughout this winter so that the repair can be made during Spring/Summer. If you plan on fixing it now, then do the repair and then spray it. Also, make sure to spray this area at least once per year on top of your regular Krown application. Or, remove the fender liners before you go to Krown.

Originally Posted by JTK
Oh that sucks.. I've seen ~6yr/old GM and Ford trucks with rust too, so it's not just a FCA thing.

Could you try another Ram dealer? A lot of this depends on the service adviser you're dealing with. I had a thread going some months back in regards to rust spots on the lift gate of our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan. We were over the 36K mile Nissan limit at the time, but when I calmly pressed the SA on the issue he escalated it up the chain. They ultimately covered 90% of the repair, but I think it had more to do with it was barely 2yrs old and spent the first 1.5yrs in a non rust-belt climate. It cost me like $50 and a few days of no van.

Unfortunately, I think the fact that your truck is ~6yrs/old won't do you any favors.
frown.gif
It just really sucks because it barely has any miles on it.

You could Demel off the bubble and hit it with touch up paint in those areas. Worst case, two new fenders, paint and labor would probably be in the $1000 range maybe? Or grind, paint / POR15 those spots and throw on some fender flairs?

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would immediately get a can of Rust Check, Krown, FF or RustCure and spray the inside of both fenders generously. This should hold out throughout this winter so that the repair can be made during Spring/Summer. If you plan on fixing it now, then do the repair and then spray it. Also, make sure to spray this area at least once per year on top of your regular Krown application. Or, remove the fender liners before you go to Krown.

I went to visit the owner of another local dealer today but he wasn't in so I called and left a message explaining my situation but he hasn't called back yet.
I purchased my vehicle before I got to know him through my son's rep hockey so hopefully he can help in some capacity? I don't know him very well at all.

I had a look again today and managed to get a coat of wax on both front fenders to hopefully help a little over the winter? I also had a look into the front fender area via the door when its open. There is a big long piece of black foam that keeps you from seeing directly into the inner fender so I used a long standard screwdriver to move it to the side.
My view wasn't the greatest but I could clearly see a patch of black foam that was adhered to the inner fender right where those spots are bubbling/rusting through.
I have no idea who thought this up but they certainly had no business coming up with this brain dead idea!
The piece doesn't cover the whole inner fender, it just covers a spot roughly 2x2 or 3x3 and from what I have heard and read, is adhered to the inner fender with some type of strong glue or adhesive?
I sprayed the best I could again with a can of Krown but I could clearly see, prior to me spraying more in there, that the inner fender was well coated with rust proofing already.
This pad/foam piece holds moisture/salt/crud and whatever else and that is where the bubbling/rust comes from. Even soaked with Krown or Rust Check, obviously doesn't do the trick with this foam but I imagine my fenders would look like Swiss cheese about now if it weren't for the undercoating?
https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=207587

I'll keep you informed if the guy calls me tomorrow but at this point, things aren't looking favorable?
cry.gif

Last edited:
That foam patch is sure a bad design for rust. Some of the spots on my minivan, mainly rocker panels, are filled with expanding foam for sound insulation and it basically does the same thing as that foam patch. I dug out as much as I could though the bottom wholes, after removing the plugs and soaked the entire area with oil rustproofing.

How hard is it to remove the wheel liners and see if this patch can be removed? Most likely a heat gun has to be used to soften up the glue.

I guess I question why bother with the foam on the effected fenders now unless you're going to attempt a DIY repair and paint. If that is the cause of the paint bubbles on the outside of the fender, the fenders are shot now anyway. I would think it would be the same cost, if not cheaper to replace them than have professional body work done on the originals. Now if this foam was the cause, by all means make sure it's not on the replacement fenders.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
That foam patch is sure a bad design for rust. Some of the spots on my minivan, mainly rocker panels, are filled with expanding foam for sound insulation and it basically does the same thing as that foam patch. I dug out as much as I could though the bottom holes, after removing the plugs and soaked the entire area with oil rustproofing.

How hard is it to remove the wheel liners and see if this patch can be removed? Most likely a heat gun has to be used to soften up the glue.

Originally Posted by JTK
I guess I question why bother with the foam on the affected fenders now unless you're going to attempt a DIY repair and paint. If that is the cause of the paint bubbles on the outside of the fender, the fenders are shot now anyway. I would think it would be the same cost, if not cheaper to replace them than have professional body work done on the originals. Now if this foam was the cause, by all means make sure it's not on the replacement fenders.

Yes, I think it is too late now as I think if I was somehow able to get the foam off, I would probably be left with a hole or 2 in a couple places?
New fenders is what I am thinking as well, and definitely, the foam will be removed before install.

Still no return call from the guy I called yesterday. My gut tells me he doesn't want to get involved seeing as I didn't purchase the truck from him? Who knows, maybe he'll call tomorrow?

Thanks guys.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back