ISO 5011/SAE J726 test of Duramax Air Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checkout the results of a COMPLETE ISO 5011/SAE J726 test of several Air Filters for the GM Duramax Diesel. The test was performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at TESTSTAND Corp of Rhode Island (The manufacturer of the machine). The Test was organized by Spicer who is a member of TheDieselPlace.com forum.

Click here for the complete story (long thread … page 4 is where the results are presented)

The following is a quote from Spicer’s post on TheDieselPlace forum.

“In the order of filtering efficiency the results are:

FILTER % Efficiency

AC Delco OE 99.93%
Baldwin 99.72%
No name filter (made for gas engine, 1/3 less pleats) 99.32%
AFE ProGuard 7 (73-10062), panel filter 99.23%
WIX/Napa 99.03%
Purolator 98.73%
Amsoil, new style 98.63%
UNI 97.93%
K&N 96.80%

Additionally, these 2 were tested using FINE test dust. The K&N was cleaned and retested, the AFE was the conical version:

K&N 89.85%
AFE Conical 92.33%

FLOW RESTRICTION FROM BEST TO WORST:

FILTER RESTRICTION in Inches H2O

K&N 4.54
Mystery bargain filter 4.78
AFE Pro Guard 7 Panel 4.99
Purolator 5.05
WIX/Napa 5.06
UNI 5.40
Baldwin 5.71
Amsoil 5.88
AC Delco 6.23

DIRT HOLDING CAPACITY From best to worst. This is the AMOUNT OF DIRT it took to create an ADDITIONAL 10 inches of water restriction. At that point the test is terminated.This indicates HOW LONG a filter is good before it must be cleaned or replaced.

AC Delco 573.898 grams
WIX/Napa 447.366
Purolator 388.659
Baldwin 388.154
UNI 374.638
Mystery bargain 350.402
AFE Pro Guard 7 232.516
K&N 211.58
Amsoil 196.323

TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING THE TEST. This is how much dirt your engine will take in if you use the filter for the duration that would cause the filter to become "dirty" enough to need replacement or cleaning. The "Dirt Passing The Filter" is the dirt collected by the "Post Filter" during the test.

FILTER DIRT IN GRAMS PASSED
AC Delco 0.4 g
Baldwin 1.1g
AFE Pro Guard 7 1.8g
Mystery Bargain 2.4g
Amsoil 2.7g
WIX/Napa 4.4g
Purolator 5.0g
K&N 6.0g
UNI 7.9g

Note: The Purolator was reported to have a seal malfunction during the test and passed more dirt than it would have with a good seal.”

the ac delco hasd a 1 in higher restriction - thats a lot
how does that affect fuel mileage I wonder - it did good everywhere else tho
is the delcoa real product or does it vary from box to box as to who made it?

I went from the OEM AC Delco to a Wix airfilter. No noticable difference in mileage. May go back to OEM after seeing those pass through figures.
shocked.gif

Regarding restriction here is a quote form Spicer in the other thread...

Spicer wrote:

"Just playing with some numbers. For those who think paper is still too restrictive, (Its not and has been proven time and again) here is something to think about............1 inch of water = .036 psi.

AC Delco had 6.23 inches of water restriction

K&N had 4.54.

This is a difference of .0608 psi. Virtually nothing!

At the same time the AC Delco filtered 573.898g of dirt and let 0.4g past

The K&N filtered only 211.58g and let 6g past.

The UNI filtered 374.638g and let 7.9g past."

... and a post by A_bear

A_bear wrote:
"After seeing these numbers posted above and if my manometer was reading accurately when I checked a new Baldwin filter as installed on my truck I would also agree that paper flows all that is needed with a ton to spare. My readings of 1/2" WC @ idle and 1-1/2" at WOT are much lower than reported above which would indicate that Testand was using a larger volume of air to get these worst case numbers. This would only reinforce the fact that paper is providing way more than enough air flow with plenty to spare and the added benefit of efficiency. I would also have to concede that GM designed an adequately sized intake box/filter. I can't thank Spicer enough."

If I had a Duramax, I'd be running the AC-Delco after looking at all those numbers!

Thanks for sharing this.

Tim

Anyone have a picture or dimensions of a Duramax air filter. Most GM trucks have very large filters with lots of pleats. Filter flow may not matter as much there.

So this test basically confirms what one would expect. If you want filtration go with AC-Delco, if you want flow go with K&N. Most people on this site would lean toward the former.

-T

Here is a picture of the Baldwin PA4134 which is equivalent to the AC Delco A1618C for the Duramax Diesel.

-

Dimensions are 12 3/16 x 9 11/16 x 2 13/32 inches

Just dumb luck for me but I have been running the AC's in my Duramax since it was new. After seeing the results of this study I will continue ...
smile.gif

I wonder if the whole line of AC filters are this good or is the AC Delco A1618C for the Duramax Diesel a special case?

That picture of the duramax filter looks exactly the same as the one in my silverado. I just reinstalled the OEM filter and I`m planning on selling the K&N.Thankyou to whoever posted the thread.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
I wonder if the whole line of AC filters are this good or is the AC Delco A1618C for the Duramax Diesel a special case?

427Z06,
Not sure but I would think they are similar in quality. In general paper should have the best filtering capability compared to foam but foam will flow the best. There has since been quite a bit of discussion on this in the thread I posted above.

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
Any chance that the Purolator filter will be retested with a "good" seal??? Great data.

Eddie,
I don't believe this particular test will be repeated. It was a one-time opportunity to get these filters tested at no charge. The test was organized by Spicer over on TheDiesePlace forum where a bunch of us contributed filters and funds to cover expenses for shipping ect.

quote:

Originally posted by 4.8 Silverado:
That picture of the duramax filter looks exactly the same as the one in my silverado. I just reinstalled the OEM filter and I'm planning on selling the K&N.Thankyou to whoever posted the thread.

I believe the GM air box size is the same for the Gassers and Diesels but the Diesel filter (A1618C) is heavier - not sure if it has more pleats but it does have extra reinforcements (epoxy?) across the pleats to prevent the filter from collapsing and being sucked into the intake - especially if it gets wet (the Dmax is turbocharged).

Bill
smile.gif

Holy f*8k! What am I doing with a K&N in my Subaru and wifes passat??

Ugh, that is screwed. I will be buying an OEM filter on my next day off. I wonder if that is why my oil looks dirty so soon...

Great post, by the way, thanks to those who did it...

I hate to bring this post back, but what about conical filters? the only one tested was teh AFE filter, what other brands are good? What filters the best? It seems the flow is pertty good for any filter.

The correct filter number is A1518C, NOT A1618C . Its the standard filter on all 3/4 ton and up trucks no matter what the engine. Its also standard on all Z71 optioned 1/2 tons and will fit all others. The only different between it and the standard filter is thickness of the media, nothing more. The Duramax does not use a special filter. This is right out of my 2004 owners manual and it has been this was since day 1. I have owned 3 Z71 pickup and this filter was in all 3, the 1999, 2001 and the 2004. Have a new sitting right here.

00 scrub,

Individual members at the TheDieselplace.com forum provided popular brands of filters for the Duramax. The basic conclusion I draw form this study is that paper filters catch the most dirt but oiled foam or gauze filters flow better. Also, (IMHO) for stock engine configurations, paper filters provide more than enough air flow. Some will also debate that paper provides enough flow in performance applications (see the DieselPlace thread).
--------------------------

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
The correct filter number is A1518C, NOT A1618C . The Duramax does not use a special filter

Mike,

I respectfully disagree... The Duramax does require the A1618C which is a different filter than what's in the gasoline powered GM trucks. You are correct that the A1518C will fit the Duramax air box but the A1618C is specified for the Duramax. Also, the Duramax comes with a separate Diesel Users Manual that details the unique filter requirements for the Duramax.

See the following ACDelco.com links for more info.

A1A1618C filter usage
A1A1518C filter usage
---------------------------

steiner43511,
Teststand, the company who performed the test, was unable to test FRAM filters due to a conflict of interest (see the link to the first post for more info).

smile.gif

[ August 06, 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Bill Plock ]

Usually for the trucks ACdelco has two filters available. On the box it lists both with one as the "for dusty conditions" filter. The only difference is pleat numbers.

-T

rolleyes.gif

I must say this test seems a little off, why was a defective puralator used? That gives us false results.

The dirt that passes through the filter gets flushed out with the oil, and lets say you change your oil 4 times before the air filter meets its capacity for replacement/cleaning, well then there is not much difference at all is there. I dont see why you wouldnt want to let your engine breathe easier, when the capcity tests are irrelivant due to oil changes through the filters life. Even the worst efficent filter, the K&N, is at a >3% chance of contamination, thats hardly anything, and you gain air flow, which would be a better trade off in MPG and engine life.

There are way to many variables to call the results of this test facts.

quote:

Originally posted by RedWolf4000:
rolleyes.gif

The dirt that passes through the filter gets flushed out with the oil, and lets say you change your oil 4 times before the air filter meets its capacity for replacement/cleaning, well then there is not much difference at all is there. I dont see why you wouldnt want to let your engine breathe easier, when the capcity tests are irrelivant due to oil changes through the filters life. Even the worst efficency filter, the K&N, is at a >3% chance of contamination, thats hardly anything, and you gain air flow, which would be a better trade off in MPG and engine life.

The AC stopped 99.93% of the crud, in other words it let 0.07% of the crud through. The K&N stopped 96.8% of the crud, in other words it let 3.2% of the crud through.

3.2/.07 = 45.7 timers as much crud was let through the K&N. The percentages aren't probablities... they show what percentage of the dirt that gets to the filter gets through it. 3.2% of a lot of dust is still a lot of dust.

The Amsoil, UNI, K&N filters had the most restriction of any of the filters when they got dirty. They were only low flow filters as long as they were clean! So much for K$N's claim to fame that they have more dirt capacity than a paper filter. K$N didn't even come close to the AC in dirt capacity, they weren't even in the same county
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back