Re: Motorcraft, 5W-30, 2545 miles, 2018 3.5 F EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd oil change in 8000 kilometers. I sent it to another lab. They initially had an issue when using a baseline sample I provided but got things corrected. Wear metals have come down to around 25-33% of where they initially were at.

Just goes to validate that it isn't a bad idea to change your oil in a new vehicle, or new engine at an earlier interval than what Oil Life Monitor recommends.

Hopefully this fuel dilution gets better with the next oil change. It has dropped substantially from the first one. Maybe rings are seated in better now.

Fluid Life 3904km-----------------AGAT 4096 KM

Sodium 7------------------------------------------3
Potassium 4-------------------------------------1
Silicon 82 (reportable)------------------------24
Aluminum 5-------------------------------------3
Iron 32-------------------------------------------16
Copper 59 (reportable)----------------------19
Lead 2------------------------------------------0
Tin 0----------------------------------------------1
Chromium 1-----------------------------------1
Nickel 0-----------------------------------------1
Titanium 0-----------------------------------na
Silver 0-----------------------------------------0
Vanadium 0-----------------------------------na
Antimony 0-----------------------------------na
Berylium 0-----------------------------------na
Calcium 2090--------------------------------1860
Zinc 768--------------------------------------762
Phosphorous 704--------------------------------593
Magnesium 16-----------------------------------7
Manganese na-----------------------------------4
Molybdenum 71------------------------------145
Boron 158------------------------------------54
Barium 0----------------------------------------0
Lithium 1---------------------------------------na

Visc 40C 47.8 (reportable/ typical 65)----------46.6(lower Critical)
Visc 100C 8.29 (reportable/ typical 10.8)--------8.7 (lower Reportable)
Visc Index 149 (typical 157)-----------------------na
Fuel % 8.47 (Unaceptable)------------------------3.4 (Upper Critical)

agat pic.jpg

you have more than 8% fuel in the oil? That seems very high. did it smell of gasoline when you changed it?

Please share your driving conditions with the motor. And did you run the motor and get it nice and warm before taking the sample? Deive it around, not just idling in the driveway. The only time I've had fuel dilution is the one time I only warmed it up in the driveway.

Yes, on the first oil change was 8.47 according to Fluid Life in Edmonton. I could smell gassy odor, but was more worried about the dark appearance to the oil.

2nd oil analysis was down significantly. Most of my short trips were over 30 kilometers to work, & 30 km back, but also longer trips of 160-200 kilometers. Truck doesn't idle. Due for another 4000 kilometer oil change, to see if its getting better. I would like to increase to a 7500 kilometer interval, with synthetic oil, but am afraid to, with fuel dilution affecting viscosity.

I would switch to a conventional oil, but also trying to minimize valve deposits in these Direct Injection Turbo engines, which sounds like may be a problem.

I would like to see any one else share their 2018 3.5 used Oil analysis, & what intervals they are going.
Maybe it is nothing to worry about as engine is still quite new, hoping it improves. Just concerned with other new vehicle owners that are only following the IOLM without analyzing oil. According to where my oil life monitor was at, I could/ should still be running on that first oil change.

I would be interested to see if any one else has sent the first few initial oil change samples away from a new Ford 3.5, even if it was an extended drain interval.

Originally Posted by cdlamb

I would switch to a conventional oil, but also trying to minimize valve deposits in these Direct Injection Turbo engines, which sounds like may be a problem.

I'd still run synthetic for this motor, but for what its worth the 2018 3.5 should include dual injection. So you should have port fuel injection to help keep the valves clean where earlier 3.5 EBs did not.

There are quite a few 2nd gen EB UOA's posted here, so dig around for those. Many here were already declaring the new dual-injection system a fix for the dilution, which I thought was a bit premature. But your fuel % seems higher than normal...I hope things work out

What is this a UOA of? Not all 2018 EB's are gen 2. F150 may be, Transit may not be. Also, the attached report says oil was Motomaster formula 1 syn, not the Ford Motorcraft...Motorcraft could be conventional, syn, or blend,

Last edited:
Synthetic oils only make economic sense if you stretch the drain interval. It appears that fuel dilution will limit the oil life so there is no benefit to the extra expense. (That will no doubt trigger the M1 for everything crowd!). Motorcraft semi-syn is fine in these engines.

OTOH, it's your truck, you get to pick.

Originally Posted by AITG
Synthetic oils only make economic sense if you stretch the drain interval. It appears that fuel dilution will limit the oil life so there is no benefit to the extra expense. (That will no doubt trigger the M1 for everything crowd!). Motorcraft semi-syn is fine in these engines.

Except for the fact that Motorcraft semi synthetic costs more at Walmart than Supertech full synthetic does. ($19.22 compared to $15.98)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back