Auto parts stores open thanksgiving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My work is closed on Thanksgiving but we are open Friday. I volunteered to work Friday because I am the only one without kids. I will be at the Turkey Night Grand Prix on Thanksgiving night since we don't have any family close that we like and I don't really care for turkey.

I get 3 sick days a year at my work and because I have been there more than 10 years I get 3 weeks of vacation time. People are amazed when I tell them we only have one parts person working on Saturdays, but unlike the national brands, Saturdays are our slow days.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Idk man. I don't judge people personally from a couple posts on a forum. Making such opinions from a myopic glimpse appears ludicrous to me, but not to you I guess.

https://www.epi.org/publication/charting-wage-stagnation/

Figure 2 shows ho productivity went up 74% since 1973. I think people then were taking a lot of days off. As they should have.

Automation is one of the biggest reasons for the increase in productivity. As for taking days off, most people got two weeks vacation a year max back in 73. Many got less.

I don't know how old you are but I was working in 1973. Jobs were hard to come by then. The economy was in the tank for the 70's and early 80's. People were happy to have a job period. Vacation was not a priority.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Idk man. I don't judge people personally from a couple posts on a forum. Making such opinions from a myopic glimpse appears ludicrous to me, but not to you I guess.

https://www.epi.org/publication/charting-wage-stagnation/

Figure 2 shows ho productivity went up 74% since 1973. I think people then were taking a lot of days off. As they should have.

Automation is one of the biggest reasons for the increase in productivity. As for taking days off, most people got two weeks vacation a year max back in 73. Many got less.

I don't know how old you are but I was working in 1973. Jobs were hard to come by then. The economy was in the tank for the 70's and early 80's. People were happy to have a job period. Vacation was not a priority.

Automation and better cataloging has for sure made everything more efficient in the auto parts industry. With having done Ford parts for so long I can look up a whole list of parts in a few minutes because of the searching by base number. I don't have to type "cylinder head" I can just put in "6049" and get the listing. Then I just copy and paste from our SnapOn catalog to our billing software and then search inventory in all of Ford's PDCs to see where the parts will ship from. I don't have to waste time with micro fishe or books. We actually tossed our micro fiche years ago and tossed most of our older parts books since almost everything in them was obsolete.

Last edited:
Automation would actually take jobs away as machines replace people.

Unemployment rate was 4.9% in 1973. There is a lower limit to unemployment- about 5%.

I'm done arguing here. Form whatever opinions you want. Don't let facts stop you.

I'm done arguing here. Form whatever opinions you want. Don't let facts stop you.

So are you working Thursday or what?

I work at a corporate auto parts store. We are open EVERY DAY except Christmas Day. On Thanksgiving we are closing early at 4pm. I think the nearby hub store will be open later.

If you're gonna call out sick that day and you already know that, just let them know you're not coming immediately. You're just gonna screw someone else over otherwise.

I have top sales numbers in my store, I can work as many hours as I want. I'm working til 4 on Thanksgiving happily because I get 1.5x pay.

From one auto parts store employee to another, clearly you hate your job. Just quit! I dislike a lot of things about my "crappy retail job" but I make it work for me.

I can fix my car behind the store, borrow tools as needed, put things on a quote as I need them and pay for them the next day, order parts from the warehouse I might need for a repair just in case... Also getting a great parts discount because I spend A LOT of money with my employer is worth it to me.

Will I work there forever? No, but I'm not really sure what to do with my life so for now it's good.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
the Police and Hospitals are open 24/7, no whining...................whoops, so is the Military, no whining

If you honestly think there is no whining about working holidays in these environments, you've lost your touch.

Everyone wants to be home. Well, most everyone.

I get that not everyone can; I am missing Thanksgiving myself, but I can't think of a single reason for AutoZone to be open.

^^^^^^^^

Amen to that !!!!!

Hope that you are doing good there man.

It appears most of the country shuts down Thanksgiving Day. Some places are open though.

Im scheduled for 3 hours on Thanksgiving. I'm planning on just not going. Call in sick. I've given them my weekends every single weekend since I started 2 months ago.

1) If you're scheduled to work, would you not go? Call in sick? Would your place of work be busy?

2) How busy would auto parts stores that are open be on that day?

3) Share a good ditch work story.

Tell them you have a belly ache from eating too much turkey.

Say what you want about stores being closed on Thanksgiving but they are in business to make money. It is all about profit not you or me. If I were killed in a car wreck today they would have my job posted before the obituary came out. Everyone is replaceable is most business management mentality.

I do not agree with this and is why I am not in tip management anymore. You have to be basically heartless in most companies.

On another hand Thanksgiving and Christmas are days that most people get off and might need to repair a much needed car. Might not know what parts they need until they dig into it so it could be a very busy day at the auto parts stores

I don't think all stores should be open on Thanksgiving. However, my car doesn't know it's Thanksgiving and I may need a part to get out of a jam. This would be equivalent to having a drug store open for sick people. It's not like keeping a sporting goods store open so people can stock up on low priced fitness equipment. I know it's not fun to spend weekends on the job when you're the new guy, but that's how it works. The boss likely started the same way.

If scheduled to work, I go. Unless I am truly sick and should not go or I have to care for my sick kid. That's it.

I agree a parts store being open Thanksgiving day is a bit odd, but guess what - you work retail. And retail is retail - weekends and holidays. Part of why I don't work retail.

No ditching work stories. I made a committment - I honor it. When I'm out, its for legitimate reasons or vacation only. No sick time - its all vacation time.

Citing productivity stats as justification for not going is funny.

You are a replaceable cog in a machine. If I was a coworker, I would be mad at having to cover for you since you decided you were more important.

In my office, we all volunteer to cover certain holidays because its part of being a decent coworker. Not the most fun, but when we all take turns, it all evens out. Skip out on thanksgiving and guess who is working the garbage shifts at Christmas and new years...

Originally Posted by spasm3

On the fence. I think my plan is: call in an hour before and ask if they really need me for such a short shift, is it slow or what. If they still say come, I'll say I'm feeling sick and still come. Hunch over every now and then, so they say ok go home, but I won't ask to go.

Yeah, I'll still come. But going forward, I asked for all three football days off. And will ask for more well in advance.

I just don't get what's the purpose of a 3 hour shift. Just to cover for others as they take their 1 hour lunch? Almost one hour pay would go to gas money. If it gets busy, they'll ask me to stay longer? Haha. I'll give them back their same line: tell me 1-2 weeks in advance.

It's like wow, congrats. An employee who otherwise was "down" with the store is now disgruntled. Let's see those sale numbers without me. I don't want to say which product, but I literally sold every one of them in the store. It's a category of products that I personally love. Now, as they put two and two together, I hope it clicks in their head that "we should have just gave him that one day off."

I love how people try to call me lazy on here. Haha. Working two jobs. I do 8-12 hours per day. every day. Asking for a day off (a day in the week, thursday, that I asked for off for good a long time ago anyways) is somehow poor character on my part.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
You still don't get it.

Right?

As soon as I saw "share skipping out of work stories" I knew where this thread was going.

I was done trying to see his side when he talked about 'faking' sick at work. That's kid's stuff.

Last edited:
Removed.

Dude, it's 3 hours. Man up and go in. Smile. Then leave for Thanksgiving, you'll have a work story to tell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

On the fence. I think my plan is: call in an hour before and ask if they really need me for such a short shift, is it slow or what. If they still say come, I'll say I'm feeling sick and still come. Hunch over every now and then, so they say ok go home, but I won't ask to go.

Yeah, I'll still come. But going forward, I asked for all three football days off. And will ask for more well in advance.

I just don't get what's the purpose of a 3 hour shift. Just to cover for others as they take their 1 hour lunch? Almost one hour pay would go to gas money. If it gets busy, they'll ask me to stay longer? Haha. I'll give them back their same line: tell me 1-2 weeks in advance.

It's like wow, congrats. An employee who otherwise was "down" with the store is now disgruntled. Let's see those sale numbers without me. I don't want to say which product, but I literally sold every one of them in the store. It's a category of products that I personally love. Now, as they put two and two together, I hope it clicks in their head that "we should have just gave him that one day off."

I love how people try to call me lazy on here. Haha. Working two jobs. I do 8-12 hours per day. every day. Asking for a day off (a day in the week, thursday, that I asked for off for good a long time ago anyways) is somehow poor character on my part.

What does your wife say about you working on Thanksgiving ?

Yeah, I guess I don't get it. How dare I get a day off that I asked for off a long time ago. Even after I let them schedule me whenever they want. Even after I blew the top off the sales numbers. Kids stuff.

On top of that, since I started this thread, one of the managers tried to diss me really hard in front of a customer I went to high school with. It's not like I would've been doing that to "good guys."

The number 1 factor in determining if a patient sues a doctor for malpractice is bedside manners. They feel guilty going after someone who was nice to them. Ask yourself why I would feel no guilt calling in sick. They really give no incentive for me to be all about the company.

They bought pizza on the company dime because we hit sales numbers (because I hit them). And they put a topping on that they know I don't eat. Kids stuff.

Your paycheck is your incentive.
If you don't like stuff on the pizza just pick it off.
C'mon man,life shouldn't be this hard.
The more you reveal about yourself the harder it is to see your side of things.

BossMoss,

Sounds like you need to find another job if manager [censored] s on you. Start looking for a new job.

Pizza for meeting a store sales goal.... ?
How about a cash bonus like a normal job.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Your paycheck is your incentive.
If you don't like stuff on the pizza just pick it off.
C'mon man,life shouldn't be this hard.
The more you reveal about yourself the harder it is to see your side of things.

this ^^^^^
o.p. -- you're making a big production over a petty issue. a.k.a. -- this is a drama queen thread.
why would you even start a whining thread about this, and not expect a bunch of negative (to you) replies ?

you say that you asked for the day off "a good long time ago", yet you started 2 months ago. ??????
almost all the replies disagree with your handling of this "issue". as one said, just man up, and go to work.

my dad's lines, when it came to doing chores, -- "shut up and do your your job", and "you don't work, you don't eat", COULD apply here.

my main reason for posting, is to thank you for a very funny drama queen thread.my spidey sense tells me that there will be a hissy fit coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back