Auto Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings.

Not sure if this would be the appropriate place to post, however, I would like to ask which company do you guys have auto insurance? I am currently looking at Progressive, AMerprise, State Farm and Geico. Undecided which is cheaper in the long run. Please share your experience.

Thank you very much.

I've had State Farm as long as I can remember. Their rates have always been reasonable for me and still come out cheaper when I periodically check other companies. They also took care of us after a rear end collision in the Camry by an uninsured motorist.

I've been with State Farm since I started driving over forty years ago. Never had a problem and they have been responsive and good to me in the few occasions when I needed them. I use them for homeowners insurance as well.

Insurance (auto) companies use a myriad of factors in determining rates for someone. Who is cheaper for me may not be the case for you.

You might want to go to an independent agent - they can quote you rates from multiple carriers. I think they usually only carry 1-2 big name companies and then multiple lesser-known carriers though so they can't get you rates from a lot of names you may be familiar with. Being a familiar name doesn't mean they're "good" either though.

One comment my independent agent made to me a long time ago was this: "Consider sticking to an insurance company that doesn't spend your premiums on TV commercials".

I was with Columbia for years and years then they just dropped this area but they had good rates. I was surprised my independent agent came up with Progressive as the least expensive but with better coverage, every thing went from 100,000 to 300,000 but the deductible stayed the same along with the premiums.

As mentioned it's best to find an independent agent.

+1 to @hallstevenson.

I don't know your criteria, cost or quality. If quality, definitely look into New Jersey Auto Owners (or with a similar name). They top in Consumer Report's ratings. I have had to deal with them and absolutely smooth experience. Their insured person kissed my parked car, caused some dents. We called both of our insurance companies. Their adjuster showed up at my work, did his job (I didn't even meet him, just told him where the car is parked). On the 7th day, I had a check in my hand.

For us, State Farm is expensive. We use Erie, not the cheapest but when you need it, no drama of any kind. Actually, the body shop guy suggested us to stay with them even if the premium goes up.

If you want cheapest then you just have to shop around (but may come to bite you if you need it).

I shop around every year and use the coverage so each quote is for the same amounts. Then I buy the cheapest.

Always best to at least check 3-4 once a year. if its less than $50 difference for the total year I stay. If its more I move.

I've only ever had USAA and can't complain. I have (had) them for EVERYTHING; auto, house, personal property, rental, etc. If it's an option for you, I'd recommend you check them out.

Originally Posted by Delta
I've had State Farm as long as I can remember. Their rates have always been reasonable for me and still come out cheaper when I periodically check other companies. They also took care of us after a rear end collision in the Camry by an uninsured motorist.

Do you have problems with them increasing the premium every few months or every year? I read and people are complaining regarding that issue.

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by Delta

Do you have problems with them increasing the premium every few months or every year? I read and people are complaining regarding that issue.

It happens every couple of years. Usually when that happens I'll get some quotes from other companies only to find State Farm is still cheaper/in line for the same coverage. It does help there's 3 vehicles on the policy as well as renters.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
If you have any military in your history, look into USAA. Absolutely the best insurance you can get. It's what I have and no way am I changing.

i saw on youtube a gentleman had USAA for long time. However, he did some research that they were actually the most expensive out of the choices were given: Progressive and Geiko.

Originally Posted by painfx

My parents have always had State Farm and when I was younger, I got a few speeding tickets and was in an accident. They took me off my parent's policy. Between my age and driving record, I was was they considered "high risk" and they simply didn't carry high-risk clients. My parents later got life insurance policies for myself and my siblings so the agent always asks how to get my business for auto and home coverage. I just tell them "I wasn't good enough for SF in the past so why should I go with you now?".

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I was with Columbia for years and years then they just dropped this area but they had good rates. I was surprised my independent agent came up with Progressive as the least expensive but with better coverage, every thing went from 100,000 to 300,000 but the deductible stayed the same along with the premiums.

As mentioned it's best to find an independent agent.

Couple of comments about Progressive:

1) They seem to treat their own customers okay but if you have a claim against them, i.e. their customer is at-fault, they can be, uhhhh, "difficult".
2) Do NOT do their online quote system and get excited about how inexpensive they are and run with them. Look at their coverage limits and you'll quickly see why they're the cheapest.

In the case of the person I'm quoting, their independent agent appears to do the same as ours - they have a minimum coverage amount that they require of their clients. Yes, it costs me more and [censored], the agent might make a little more commission, but you're protected so much more. If you want lower limits, find a different agent or go direct with the carrier.

I do have a grudge against Progressive - I won't deny that. Both of my points above are personal experience. A driver hit my wife and it was a Friday afternoon. Tried contacting them to 'check in' and was ignored. They do nothing until their client reports the claim. In our case, the driver was borrowing a friend's car and the vehicle owner had Progressive. Our minivan had severe damage and wasn't driveable (later totaled) and my wife was in bed on heavy painkillers and a neck brace and Monday morning, before they offered a rental car or anything, their junior claims agent asked if he could stop by our house because they "were ready to settle" and he had a check for $2500 in his hand to give me !! Another one - junior wanted to "interview" our 5 and 3 year old kids who were in the car with my wife to ask them what happened.

USAA used to be great, now I'm not so sure. I've had a number of claims, but two that did not go well stick in my craw.
One was a claim for rental real estate in the Florida Panhandle when a storm came through blowing down trees into my building. I had full coverage, they would only pay about half of my actual expenses (which were reasonable). The other was when another USAA insured driver smashed my parked pristine Z28. They cheaped out on the repair parts and 5 years later it still isn't right. Was a show winner, now it's just junk.
They used to only insure military officers and dependants, a fairly select group that, as a whole, didn't commit fraud. In the last 15 years or so, their executives figured out expanding their pool meant a larger company and accompanying higher pay for them. So now, anybody who has been in the military can join, claim history now matches the general insurance pool instead of an elite select group, and premiums have accordingly risen. By abandoning their charter, original members have to pay more, and the CEO gets rich.
Many thanks for letting me get that rant off of my chest. They still might be the best out there, they just don't compare to the old USAA for insurance.

I have AAA and could not be happier. I would never get State Farm like a like of dealer parts people because of the programs they have forced on us for the honor of selling parts to body shops for their vehicles.

I have Ameriprise, but admittedly I have not shopped in years. It is possible they will raise rates higher than others if you have a claim.
I believe Progressive is cheaper but owners have trouble with claims.
Geico is great.

I have had USAA for 41 years, since I was 16 years old. I absolutely LOVE USAA! They have very low rates, pay their claims immediately, and go after the other person's insurance company automatically for free to subrogate.

You would have to pull USAA out of my cold dead hands to get it from me.

www.usaa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back