Can I safely use STP Oil Treatment in my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Honda CR-V, 200,xxx miles and coming up on needing it's next oil change. The engine is a tad noisy now that it's colder out (tick tick tick) and I was wondering if STP oil treatment is safe to use being that it has variable valve timing. Thanks!

I wouldn't use it. Too thick and will likely just sit in the bottom of your oil pan. I'd go with a high mileage formula oil, good luck.

I'd try an OE filter first if you aren't using this, and then I would try a High Mileage oil like Valvoline Maxlife first.

K24 is no church mouse to begin with that's for sure. If your valve lash is in spec (noise is probably piston slap anyway) then I'd just live it with that little NVH issue.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
2007 Honda CR-V, 200,xxx miles and coming up on needing it's next oil change. The engine is a tad noisy now that it's colder out (tick tick tick) and I was wondering if STP oil treatment is safe to use being that it has variable valve timing. Thanks!

Rislone 16oz or 32oz bottle - not the Concentrate.

There are varying opinions on whether it works, but is it "safe"? Yes. It's just overly expensive thick oil. It will completely disperse into your oil. Just warm your engine up before you pour it in. If this is a quick check before you change your oil, go ahead. The better way would be to change to a higher viscosity oil as it would have a better additive package. I don't use the stuff but I have witnessed an engine get quieter as STP was added. That must have been a case of excessive wear in the lifters in an older engine. Report back to use on whether or not it made any difference.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Skip the STP additive.
What oil are you running currently? Per owner's manual or something more viscous? If using a 10w30/10w40, then try a 5w30 Valvoline Maxlife, or any other synthetic blend 5w30 in High Mileage formula. If you are on conventional 5w30, then a synthetic blend 5w30 could definitely help with the cold noise.

P.S. If it was mine - I would run Mobil1 0w40 in it until the engine/tranny quits, or until it gets totalled/sold. 5k OCI with close eye on the oil level.

What grade of oil is recommended for your CR-V and what grade are you using? I believe it is 5W20
You're always going to get several different opinions here so, I'll add mine too.

Don't use STP or any other oil additive in your CR-V. Do in fact(if anything) use a thicker oil(not thinner). And what I mean by thinker is...
...if you're using a 5W20, change to a 5W30. I do agree with using a High Mileage Oil as they seem to run a tiny bit thicker in their specific grade. And again, I may use a 5W30 High Mileage oil which is still decent for winter use.

I'm currently running 5w-20 which is what is specified. Looking at the old maintenance logs in the owners' manual, the previous owner used 5W-30 a lot. Interesting

Last edited:
Safely use it, yes. Will it do anything for you is another question. Try it if you want, but I agree with Char Baby.

I have a 91 dodge Dakota 4cy 5 speed that will not quit. It does use oil. If you run anything other than 5/10W30 in it there is a lifter tick that last for a while after starting. If you try to use XW40 or HM oil in it to cut the consumption the lifters DO NOT like it. But 10W30 and STP 4CY , no tick, oil consumption cut in half. It is NOT sitting on the bottom of the pan. It is doing something. I may be one of very few, but for me it works

Rod

Last edited:
A gas station near me sells STP oil treatment for $1.50 for a 12 ounce bottle so I'll go ahead and try it. I'm honestly more curious than anything now of how good it'll work if it will at all. I'll definitely report back in a few days

STP is CALCIUM LONG-CHAIN ALKYLPHENATE SULPHIDE in a mineral oil base. It's the basis for an old school VII. It has an inverse temperature coefficient. MSDS here. Roughly the same chemistry as Lucas Oil Stabilizer ...

It prolly won't hurt anything, but I doubt it will help. With that many miles I suspect that things are more gummed up than needing thicker oil ... First thing I'd do is dump a whole can of BG109 (EPR) in there and drive it for 100 miles and see how it sounds/runs. Change the oil to a full syn (SuperTech High Mileage Synthetic OK) and use a factory filter (or Napa Gold/WIX) and another full can of BG109. Drive it to the next oil change.

The tick should be gone
smile.gif

If you use STP, slowly pour it into a hot, running engine.

We used STP in everything when I was a kid, and more recently I played with it in the Jeep. Won't hurt anything, and can be helpful if you find yourself wanting or needing to thicken your oil up a bit without doing a whole OCI.

You need to get a professional opinion. It is hard to diagnose noise over the net.

Like 2nd poster says, depends whether valve lash is correct. Crv does not have hydraulic lifters and could need valve adjustment at 200k mi if not yet done. Too tight, especially exhaust valve, can burn valve without too much noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back