Ugh. Shipping damage. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the oil filter forum is appropriate for this question... the question being what should I do...

I bought a Ford Racing Performance Parts FL820S oil filter from eBay member mustangsunlimited. $18.95 shipped. Actually a decent price for this filter. First one came in a bubble envelope, box damaged and two dents in the dome end. I emailed them, told them I don't use damaged filters and they offered to refund me $5. I said no thanks, refund or a replacement. They sent me a replacement. It arrived dented and poorly packaged as well. I cut the first one open, because it even rattled when you shook it. Pics attached. In one picture you may notice the bent leaf spring. The second filter has a small dent in the dome, and an impact mark. The dent is by my index finger. (Kind of hard to see) What should I do here? This is getting out of hand over a stupid oil filter.

C939FAA5-2299-4289-BA17-628E55F8CB99.png

88FB31E9-FD7F-404C-9739-B43BD55EE512.png

044E93B3-39FC-492A-A087-184235B53191.png

18047684-7F68-4D8B-9706-9A34F277129F.png

Take photos of the second one and ask for a refund. If he does not give you a refund, report him. EBay merchants don't want negative reviews.

Ask for a full refund from the seller. If he doesn't satisfy you, elevate the complaint to eBay. You should have protection under eBay's buyer protection policy. Ebay won't make you pay for damaged items, especially if seller did poor job of packaging.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
I bought a Ford Racing Performance Parts FL820S oil filter from eBay member mustangsunlimited. $18.95 shipped.

How much is this filter from the local Ford dealership?

Thanks for all the positive vibes folks. I sent an email to the seller, based on their reply I'll likely just report it to eBay and let the powers that be handle it. It seems they are a large seller possibly with a brick and mortar location... figured they should know better.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Full refund.. and stop buying the filters online. Get a wix xp or a Mobil 1 filter.

Kind of have my heart set on these filters, they're beautifully built. I get them for my ‘03 Mercury Marauder. I drag race it in the summer and beat the stuffing out of it whenever I drive it. They have all the good stuff, 625 psi burst, silicone adbv and gasket, thread end bypass and great efficiency. I can get them at a Ford Dealer about 20 miles from me, though a bit more expensive. It was easier to just buy them online until now. Speaking of Wix XP, I have a NAPA Platinum in the chamber for the next oil/filter change on my Freestyle.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I bought a Ford Racing Performance Parts FL820S oil filter from eBay member mustangsunlimited. $18.95 shipped.

About $23 retail, but I used to work for this dealership. If I catch the right person and wear my old jacket I can get them for $12. Never know who's running the parts counter though. The dealership is 20 miles from my house. I was ok just buying one every 6 months online, I just buy them when I get the twitch to change the oil in the Mercury. I guess I'll just make the pilgrimage to the dealer from now on. I thought about buying a couple at a time, but I don't want one to sit in the garage and possibly rust up.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

About $23 retail, but I used to work for this dealership. If I catch the right person and wear my old jacket I can get them for $12. Never know who's running the parts counter though. The dealership is 20 miles from my house. I was ok just buying one every 6 months online, I just buy them when I get the twitch to change the oil in the Mercury. I guess I'll just make the pilgrimage to the dealer from now on. I thought about buying a couple at a time, but I don't want one to sit in the garage and possibly rust up.

$13.80 ea ... don't know about shipping. Maybe buy 3 or 4 to spread out any shipping costs. Looks cheaper than the eBay guy, and it's coming from a Ford dealer so probably new stock and not all bashed up.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-racing-high-performance-filter-p-5101.html

ZeeOSix, your internet mining skills are well tuned. Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by WellOiled
I store my filters in the house to prevent rust and insect damage. They don't rust.

I'll see if the wife is ok with storing the oil filters in the cupboard next to the good silverware!

In all seriousness, that is a good idea that I'll probably adopt. It gets pretty humid in middle Indiana.

If they are a big Ebay seller, they should know better as far as handling a repeat/replacement shipment. They should have been extra cautious with packaging the replacement in my opinion. I would request a full refund through Ebay

Mustangs Unlimited is a good supplier. They have a location in Atlanta and I believe Connecticut.

I would stay on them to do the right thing.

Originally Posted by Linctex
More photos of the cut open filter parts, please

Will do. I didn't throw any of it away. I'll post a detailed autopsy of the filter in a different thread as a virgin c&p.

Got an email back, the person I'm corresponding with said they would pack it in bubble wrap themselves this time. We shall see. And from now on a reckon I'll just go down to the dealer for these.

What's the date code on the can? Wondering if this eBay guy is selling old stock or not.

Don't remember the exact date code but it is dated for 2018. Month of May I think? Not very old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back