Infamous spark plug #8 in Chev LS engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if any of the Bitoggers have direct experience in changing Sparkplug number 8 ( last one on passenger side at the far end of the engine) on a pickup or Suburban with an LS engine. The main problem is that on the driver's side, the sparkplug holes are tilted to the front of the engine and you can get a sparkplug wrench on fairly easy. On the passenger side the sparkplug holes tilt to the back so the very last plug is a bear to get. Some mechanics have said that when a customer comes in, they sometimes see that all the plugs were previously changed except for number eight. The mechanics were leaving it as is.

Any comments or description of the sparkplug wrench setup would be appreciated. Thanks.

I did it last year in the avalanche. I don't remember anything special i have wobble extensions, and some impact angle extensions, i may have used one of those. I don't remember anything overly difficult.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I did it last year in the avalanche. I don't remember anything special i have wobble extensions, and some impact angle extensions, i may have used one of those. I don't remember anything overly difficult.

Same here. Did my '05 Suburban and don't remember it being a very difficult job.

They aren't the worst. You want bad you need to do plugs on a Ford Aerostar. That was a pig especially when you would have seized in place plugs.
grin2.gif

Flex-joint sockets that are a tad bit longer/shorter for different applicatons combined with extensions of various sizes and possibly the addition of a flex joint somewhere in there on-top of the flex-joint on the socket makes just about anything possible. It's just finding the right combination of these and the right angle of approach.

Last edited:
It's been awhile, but the only thing I remember is making sure not to push against one of the A/C lines for leverage. I might have used a wobble on that one.

Be happy it's not a modular Ford. I changed all 8 on a friends and wires in maybe 60-90min. Was missing from a melted boot. Extensions and swivels maybe? I don't remember any issue.

Thanks every one. Maybe it's not going to be as bad as I thought, however the plug is thirty six inches diagonally from where a person can reach over from the sheet metal of the truck. Did anyone come in from underneath?

Originally Posted by cpayne5
Originally Posted by spasm3

Same here. Did my '05 Suburban and don't remember it being a very difficult job.

Easy on our 04 taho too.

Yes it's tight, I've done our '02 Tahoe, '01 ls1 Camaro and '08 Vette LS3. I can't recall for sure but I may have done the spark plug socket with the hex end and 3/4" combination wrench... that's usually what works for me when there's not enough room to get the ratchet on.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Be happy it's not a modular Ford. I changed all 8 on a friends and wires in maybe 60-90min. Was missing from a melted boot. Extensions and swivels maybe? I don't remember any issue.

The 4.6L Ford engines aren't bad at all...... but the 5.4's are some of the worst that there is out there to change.

Cornwell UP2220LSPR is my magic LS spark plug socket. It's a simple single-swivel spark plug socket, but it is remarkably short. With a flex head ratchet, it's the best solution I've used.

[Linked Image]

I also have an SLP LS socket. It's really just a regular 5/8 spark plug socket that's been cut down. There is no 3/8 drive, so you have to use a 13/16 wrench on it. It works better on engines with headers. Apparently, Summit still sells it:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...i_rHf3gIVh4bACh2zRQXzEAYYASABEgL2u_D_BwE

No trouble whatsoever with #8 in my GMT900 Sierra. I'm invariably pleased (and pleasantly surprised!) with its ease of serviceability.
On some plugs I'll use the 3/8"-to-1/2" drive adapter to get enough room to twist on them (both directions) and torque 'em home.

fwiw the OE ACDelco 41-110 - PN12621258 plugs showed virtually zero wear and no measurable improvement from 50,000-mile renewals.

Did my 02 Yukon in freezing cold with gloves on. Swivel will get you through it. Spray the threads with PB blast in advance.

I've done it in my 09 Suburban. Pretty sure I used a Snap On spark plug socket, a 1" extension and my favorite 3/8 flex head ratchet. I also did the Superman thing like Drivehard.

Did a friend's 01 Tahoe. I have the special Craftsman swivel spark plug socket, but don't remember if I had to use it. In fact, the only thing I recall was getting the boot off of that plug was a challenge - couldn't get the plug wire pullers i have on it, and couldn't get enough hand leverage. The rest of the plug exchange was easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back