Dipstick broke/stuck in Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to check my oil on the 2003 Accord in my signature and that's when the fun started. It is a second car that only gets run maybe once or twice a month. I knew the dipstick had been sticking before and to get it out I needed to take the claw part of a hammer and gently pry it up. Well all those times that I said I got to replace this dipstick finally bit me.

Yesterday while trying to pry up the dipstick the handle broke off and the dipstick fell down the hole. I was able to fish it back up but could only get so far because the part that seals the dipstick in the hole has now fallen below the hole and won't come out

It's very hard to see in the picture but I can see the orange part of plastic that will only come up so far.

I've tried pliers leveraging things trying to get the dipstick out but it is stuck in there. I've tried leveraging things trying to get the dipstick out but it is stuck in there.

I have an appointment with the Honda dealer tomorrow afternoon. Is the only way to get this out is to drop the oil pan and get it out that way? If so I shudder at what the dealer will charge me

Any ideas?

0F744417-4E86-49F9-A169-824AD6D73DB3.jpeg

37D06EAA-E78F-4F98-ACDE-AE08D1C47CC2.jpeg

If you cant fish it out, I don't know how other than dropping the pan, which seems like a big expense on a car that old. Does it use any oil? Do you know how much? Do you really need a dip stick on a car that hardly ever gets driven or is it just a nice to have thing. For example, if you know it uses a quart every 3000 miles, just change the oil at 3000 miles and make a note how much comes out to make sure it's not using more (or less) and you are good for another 3000 miles (or whatever the interval is).

You know I just looked at a You Tube video and it looks like if I take the valve cover off I will be able to remove the dipstick

Now I'm wondering if I should just let the dealer do it or one of my independent shops. I imagine the gasket will need to be replaced and the dealer will probably have that more accessible no?

It does use oil maybe a quart every thousand miles. No blue smoke so I don't think it's burning it where it's going I have no idea. I guess Honda of this generation were famous for drinking a bit of oil.

With it running I feel quite a bit of air being forced up through that hole. Is it bad or detrimental to the engine to have the Dipstick hole not sealed up?

Originally Posted by Blue_Goose
Now I'm wondering if I should just let the dealer do it or one of my independent shops. I imagine the gasket will need to be replaced and the dealer will probably have that more accessible no?

Any independent shop can get the valve cover gasket from multiple parts shops quite easily. My son drives our old '99 Accord and the local O'Reilly stocks the valve cover gaskets for it and we are in a small town.

Yeah there's an O-ring that seals the PCV system and that O-ring isn't where it's supposed to be anymore.

You can drive this to a shop but I wouldn't keep driving it.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Any chance that some mini long nose pliers might get down there?

Hmmm they would have to be really really thin and I don't have a set in my toolbox. I see what you are getting at though

IF there is a possibility, you might even consider buying a cheap set and grinding it down even more to fit into the hole better.

How about threading a bike brake cable through that hole, then wrapping said cable around a stick and giving it a good yank?

You know I just looked at a You Tube video and it looks like if I take the valve cover off I will be able to remove the dipstick...
I just watched a youtube on how to replace the valve cover gasket on 03-07 2.4L Accord engine and I believe you are correct. It looks like with the cover off, the dipstick will be exposed and easily accessed. If you go that route, agree you might as well have the valve cover gasket replaced while there. That, if other options not successful.

Why even own a car that gets driven just once a month? Is it really worth all the effort to keep this thing on the road?

Originally Posted by eljefino
How about threading a bike brake cable through that hole, then wrapping said cable around a stick and giving it a good yank?

What I'm afraid of is pulling so hard that the plastic piece detaches and falls all the way into the oil pan. My guess is that's probably not desirable

It looks like the valve cover route might be the way to go. It all depends if the dealer is going to charge me something like $350 just to take the cover off. Honestly I have no idea how much something like this should cost

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by onetwoothreee
Magnetic wand. Come on.

He said it's jammed.

He said you need your mouth welded shut.

Originally Posted by eljefino

What I'm afraid of is pulling so hard that the plastic piece detaches and falls all the way into the oil pan. My guess is that's probably not desirable

It looks like the valve cover route might be the way to go. It all depends if the dealer is going to charge me something like $350 just to take the cover off. Honestly I have no idea how much something like this should cost

A couple pieces of plastic in the bottom of the pan won't do anything. They won't make it past the pickup screen. If they do, they'll get pulverized in the oil pump before getting caught in the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back