Porsche Perfected Intake Manifold - E.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's not the size of my whiteboard." Pretty clever them German ingenieurs.

~350 horsepower from 2.5L at 15-psi in ours. Its 300 lb-ft through 1,900 - 4,500 rpm is a kick in the tail.

And those engines ought to be a bit stronger...they're certainly pricier.

Ford's Focus RS makes 350HP and 350 Lb ft torque from 2.3L without any such trickery.

I clearly follow the reasoning. I am not at all sure the method of application is ideal. A simple venturi will do the job.

In fact, I'd guess that the idea was not theirs, but a workaround so they don't infringe on another person's design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
Ford's Focus RS makes 350HP and 350 Lb ft torque from 2.3L without any such trickery.

I clearly follow the reasoning. I am not at all sure the method of application is ideal. A simple venturi will do the job.

In fact, I'd guess that the idea was not theirs, but a workaround so they don't infringe on another person's design.

With how much boost?

If Porsche can make similar power with less boost that means their intake design flows better. This gives several advantages, lower intake air temp is likely one of the biggest ones.

Originally Posted by Surestick

With how much boost?

If Porsche can make similar power with less boost that means their intake design flows better. This gives several advantages, lower intake air temp is likely one of the biggest ones.

23.1psi.

Ford's Focus RS makes 350HP and 350 Lb ft torque from 2.3L without any such trickery...
Do doubt that MK III Focus RS is a formidable performer amongst the hot hatch offerings.
iirc it's screwed together in Saarlouis Germany so perhaps some fatherland wizardry was included in its design.

It is curious (to me at least) that despite its 350 horsepower rating, it'll typically hustle though the quarter mile in ~13.5 @ 105 as delivered.
Of course an inexpensive tune will wake it up pronto.
The OE PDK Cayman/Boxster Porsche will crank out 11.9-12.1 quarters @ ~115 from the ‘same' horsepower.
Trickery?
And an inexpensive tune will wake it up pronto.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by splinter
Do doubt that MK III Focus RS is a formidable performer amongst the hot hatch offerings.
iirc it's screwed together in Saarlouis Germany so perhaps some fatherland wizardry was included in its design.

It is curious (to me at least) that despite its 350 horsepower rating, it'll typically hustle though the quarter mile in ~13.5 @ 105 as delivered.
Of course an inexpensive tune will wake it up pronto.
The OE PDK Cayman/Boxster Porsche will crank out 11.9-12.1 quarters @ ~115 from the ‘same' horsepower.
Trickery?
And an inexpensive tune will wake it up pronto.
smile.gif

The Focus weighs a lot more than a Boxster/Cayman because it is a bigger car with a heavy AWD, and the PDK has faster shifts than people can do with a manual transmission. The Focus also costs much less than any Boxster

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Focus weighs a lot more than a Boxster/Cayman...
Yes, although ~500 additional pounds doesn't necessarily equate to a 10-mph trap speed deficit given similar outputs.

the PDK has faster shifts than people can do with a manual transmission.

Yes, it's an excellent transmission.
Its delta on trap speeds is negligible as documented in tests comparing it with the standard gearbox.

...The Focus also costs much less than any Boxster.

Originally Posted by splinter
...And those engines ought to be a bit stronger...they're certainly pricier.

Yes, as in my initial post's disclaimer that you've likely noted.
Intent was to compare 'trickery' of 350 horsepower between marques and the engineering involved with achieving it.

$.02

As we all know advertised hp is somewhat different from real world stuff.

Et, trap, and curb weight will give you a very accurate hp reading on any car at the strip. Can be very revealing...

Years ago BMW toyed around with a multi-stage intake on its NA cars. The system would effectively lengthen the intake tract which would in turn accelerate the amount of air reaching the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Years ago BMW toyed around with a multi-stage intake on its NA cars. The system would effectively lengthen the intake tract which would in turn accelerate the amount of air reaching the combustion chamber.

It wasn't even that long ago. The N52 had a DISA valve. VW/Audi's 4.2l also had variable length intake runners. Their EA888 has swirl flaps.

I'm positive there are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back