Auto parts stores open thanksgiving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears most of the country shuts down Thanksgiving Day. Some places are open though.

Im scheduled for 3 hours on Thanksgiving. I'm planning on just not going. Call in sick. I've given them my weekends every single weekend since I started 2 months ago.

1) If you're scheduled to work, would you not go? Call in sick? Would your place of work be busy?

2) How busy would auto parts stores that are open be on that day?

3) Share a good ditch work story.

Last edited:
Is your store open 24 hours? They usually keep the 24 hour stores open every day except maybe Christmas. But in general, 24-hour stores are always open.

There is a 24-hour Autozone nearby. Not sure whether they will be open Thanksgiving or not, as I'm not down that way very much.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Is your store open 24 hours? They usually keep the 24 hour stores open every day except maybe Christmas. But in general, 24-hour stores are always open.

There is a 24-hour Autozone nearby. Not sure whether they will be open Thanksgiving or not, as I'm not down that way very much.

Mine is not 24 hours. I did not know 24 hour ones existed. You can get Chinese at 4am in San Fran. Tvs at 3 am in NYC. I guess air filters at Autozone also that late. Or early.

So, like 3 weeks ago, I asked for Monday's and Thursday's off bc it's football season. And I let them schedule me whenever before that. And since. The one day I ask for time off, they said no. I asked for this upcoming Monday off bc it's the 9-1 Chiefs playing a fellow one-loss team, the Rams. They said no. I think I spoiled them with being there 6 days a week, and the one day off is whenever they want.

I'm not missing that game for a minimum wage job. Esp when others don't show up routinely on their shifts. They can make more money installing the parts that customers buy from the store. It's a nice side income that can more than supplant the hourly wage for these guys. Sell the part, stay after work to install it for much cheaper than any shop would do it for.

The stated reason for not getting the day off was: ask for it 1-2 weeks in advance. Ok. From now on I'm gonna not be available Sunday, Monday and Thursday. Plus the days of wild card weekend, divisional round, etc. And New Years.

I'm going to apply the Leveon Bell approach. Yes, less money for me. But less money for the store. And more work for others to pick up the slack. They learned a lessson the hard way: when a good employee who show up every shift and works, even stays longer when asked, asks for ONE day off, give it to him. Otherwise, he's now going to ask for multiple days off well in advance. Congrats on making sure you do more work going forward multiple days a week instead of just giving him that one day off.

Congrats on putting your foot down. Instead of 6 days, now it's down to 4. And several other dates. Less money for me, but I finally get a chance to do laundry, clean the house and relax. And actually spend a Sunday watching football for a change.

As a former employer, I'll just say that you'll be more successful if you have a good work ethic. Perpetually skipping out on commitments will make it hard to get ahead in life.

Sometimes you have to miss out on your hobbies for work. That's the harsh reality of life. There is no participation trophy when you're an adult.

If you want to make your own schedule and still support yourself, start your own business. You'll work faaaaaaaaaaaar harder than any employer could legally make you work, but just maybe you'll succeed, and THEN you can do what you want, when you want.

Good luck.

My wife works for a company that sole business is to audit and make the company more efficient and profitable.

The new trend is to have certain work days with extra accountability if you call in sick.
And BTW, sick days will be a thing of the past for more and more companies.
The companies will point to the Family and Medical Leave Act. Having a common cold doesn't qualify for FMLA.

So if you call in sick on say June, 15th, you get 1 point. If you call in sick on July 4th, you get 4 points.

Hit whatever number of points in a certain time frame and your terminated.

A part of starting out with a minimum wage job is the lousy hours.. Weekends, holidays, etc.

I can't imagine skipping out on work so I guess I am the wrong person to ask.

It will be a slow day, you will have a holiday at work and be paid for it.

I agree that if you have any intention of advancing in this job, you need to show some commitment to your employer.

There are people it seems typically willing to work these days if the employer is not garbage and offers a pay differential.

Many times Xmas and Thanksgiving can very sad day when you realize lack of family and/or friends etc for various reasons. My wife's work get the volunteer that day coupled to 1.5 rate where they earning at least $60/hr on a holiday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wife works for a company that sole business is to audit and make the company more efficient and profitable.

The new trend is to have certain work days with extra accountability if you call in sick.
The companies will point to the Family and Medical Leave Act. Having a common cold doesn't qualify for FMLA.

So if you call in sick on say June, 15th, you get 1 point. If you call in sick on July 4th, you get 4 points.

I never skip out on work, but that company better not drug test, or they'll run out of employees pretty quickly. We actually have PTO days that qualify as both vacation and sick days-generally I end up having to use them all in December because I can't carry them over to the next year.

We have scheduled holidays which include days at the end of the year shut down just like the Ford plants we supply. I planned along with vacation time to use these days and go to Florida early in the year like I always do. Now they want every salaried employee to come in and do inventory on Dec 27. Right in the middle and are making a big deal about me being off. I tried to politely say this has been paid for and planned months ago and 1 month before you want to come ask me to work in middle of vacation. They want salaried people as they say we don't have to pay them extra to be in here. The hourly teammates would get paid. Another teammate suggested why not say we can work that day and take 2 next year. They shot that down and said no we just want you to work that scheduled holiday but give you nothing in return. Not much incentive to be there. I even said so you want me to leave family in Florida drive all the way to Indiana about 1,000 miles each way go back to get them and they said that would be a great idea. 1 day each way and a day to work. Might be looking for a new employer soon and I am pretty well compensated salaried engineer.

However if you don't show in your case then someone else must stay longer and/or come in early under short notice. They could have plans as well. Puts you in a bad place but the right way to do it would be to tell them upfront. It will likely be worse for you to do that though.

At Wendy's, the Managers try to schedule you for like morning or later in day, so you can have half the day to be with family.

Don't do a no show. That is disrespectful. Just tell them you are not coming in, and you SHOULD have planned for this MONTHS in advance! But THREE HOURS? I think you can do that.....

Last edited:
Just record the games and watch them later.
It's a shame that getting paid to work is putting a crimp in your playtime.
Let me guess,you're a millennial.

Points for calling in sick ??????

BossMoss,

I have to work Thanksgiving Day , its just another day.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Points for calling in sick ??????

Yes, how it works is you have a "set" number of points. and you are given "vacation" "good days off" etc, so you call in, use a "vacation day" and no point, but if you don't have "vacation" or a "personal day off" privilege, you get the point. Too many points = Termination, then if you are SMART, you can draw unemployment, the day you point out, you BE SURE to show up the next day, let them walk you out, and bingo unemployment benefits are yours(assuming you kept your doctors documentation on your sick days)

I like to see your former employer argue that you should be at work if you have influenza! F'em with unemployment!

Last edited:
the Police and Hospitals are open 24/7, no whining...................whoops, so is the Military, no whining

Retired Fire Captain here and Ive worked many a holiday. With our 9 day cycle -24hrs M-W-F then 4 off then come back W-F-Sun and so on, i could work every single holiday or none of them in a given year, just luck of the draw. And yes Police, Fire, Military and hospitals work those days but i hope one can see that there really is a difference btwn that and auto parts store.

Last edited:
Just quit the job. It's obvious you don't earn your pay so why even go there? They can replace you with someone that wants to work. All you are doing is screwing over your coworkers that have to cover for you. It must be nice to be so special.

Mr Nice questioned, "Points for calling in sick ??????"
Think of it like points on your driving record. Or think of them as demerit points if it processes more easily.

A lower level job does require some involvement and is ABSENT some perks.

Do you steal stuff to get back at 'em? (trying to establish a "chip-on-the-shoulder" frame of mind here)

Get smarter and move on to something better. But first, can you grab me some air filters and sparky poos?

Ha, if you blow off work you would be another "deplorable" from California!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back