St oil filter Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Walmart ST filter for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee it cost only 3.00. It is different than the Mobil 1 filter so I didn't use it. The Jeep Pentastar 3.6 has 6004 miles on the oil and filter. The OLM was at 23 percent. I didn't use the ST filter because the end is different than the Mobile 1 filter and I didn't trust it. The filter itself looked ok. What do you guys think? Was the wrong filter put in the box? I am going to run the Mobile 1 filter for about 5,000 miles and install a new one when I change oil next time. The Jeep has 47,000 miles on it. I used Castro's Magnatec 5-20 full synthetic.

4C7FD94E-4949-4D51-9A53-F6D6BE10B794.jpeg

E67953D1-8DC5-4E39-92B6-4E6B73DCB0FB.jpeg

44BA2A36-4C84-422C-AC56-D9D5D2FDDE8F.jpeg

852C493E-B164-404C-ACDE-8B17043A06BB.jpeg

Last edited:
The filter on the right is not for the 2014 Pentastar engine, it is for older 2011-2013 Pentastar engines used in the GC. The first picture is the filter for the 2014.

Id have to have a closer look at that oring holder. is it hollow in the inside or solid. What is its purpose. A quick net search has prualotors looking like the ST filter without the "appendage" on top.

I would be leery though. Maybe a trip to the store again and look at the other boxes.

Yep, wrong filter. Drain back/bypass valve design was changed. The older one without the extra little cage on the end used an internal cage/spring that had a tendancy to break off.

Nice thing is you can change the oil filter later and not lose any oil. As you un-screw the oil filter cap/oil filter the oil will drain back to the oil pan. I use Mopar MO-349 or Fram XG11665.

As others have said, that is the filter for the 2011-2013. The filter for the '11-13 is MOPAR MO-744 or Fram CH-10955. What was the number on the box?

Originally Posted by newtoncd8
As others have said, that is the filter for the 2011-2013. The filter for the '11-13 is MOPAR MO-744 or Fram CH-10955. What was the number on the box?

The number is ST10955. I am really glad I didn't try to use the wrong one.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Nice thing is you can change the oil filter later and not lose any oil. As you un-screw the oil filter cap/oil filter the oil will drain back to the oil pan. I use Mopar MO-349 or Fram XG11665.

Yes, that is for sure! The Jeep is a very easy vehicle to change oil in/on.

After reading everything it appears I obtained the wrong filter and am happy I decided not to try it. Who knows what would have happened to the engine?

Did that M1 filter twist or contort? It seems like they all do that in the Pentastar. I've not seen a filter compromised, so it is not a critical issue. I'm just curious because it is said M1 filters have a metal wire mesh backing on the pletes. The Fram XG I use has some kind of polymer like mesh that looks and feels like monofilament. It hasn't prevented the twist.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Did that M1 filter twist or contort? It seems like they all do that in the Pentastar. I've not seen a filter compromised, so it is not a critical issue. I'm just curious because it is said M1 filters have a metal wire mesh backing on the pletes. The Fram XG I use has some kind of polymer like mesh that looks and feels like monofilament. It hasn't prevented the twist.

The M1 cartridge for the Pentastar does not have any wire mesh backing.

However, the Wix XP does. So get that Wix XP or Napa Platinum for your Pentastar
smile.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The filter on the right is not for the 2014 Pentastar engine, it is for older 2011-2013 Pentastar engines used in the GC. The first picture is the filter for the 2014.

+1 unless it came with an adapter piece as some manufacturers do. The used one with the green O-ring is what it should look like for your model year.

FWIW: The one with the green o-ring looks identical to a Fram Ultra and it's even made in South Korea like the Fram Ultra so it might very well be a re-branded Fram Ultra.

Here is what the Fram Ultra looks like for your vehicle
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

The M1 cartridge for the Pentastar does not have any wire mesh backing.

However, the Wix XP does. So get that Wix XP or Napa Platinum for your Pentastar
smile.gif

Thanks everyone. I think I will use the Wix XP or Napa Platinum next time.

I'd love to see if that Wix or Napa twists, or not. I'm inclined to believe it will.

I haven't seen a OE filter or a Fram Ultra come out twisted from my Wrangler. I lube the small O-ring at the bottom of the filter before installing it, I'm wondering if that helps.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd love to see if that Wix or Napa twists, or not. I'm inclined to believe it will.

I haven't seen a OE filter or a Fram Ultra come out twisted from my Wrangler. I lube the small O-ring at the bottom of the filter before installing it, I'm wondering if that helps.

+1 I'm using Fram Ultra and they are fine when they come out. (Changed one today). I lube the small o-ring at the bottom, housing cap o-ring well. Then I finger tighten the cap using an extension and my hand until I can't do it any further and then give it a partial turn with the ratchet to snug the cap o-ring between the cap and the housing. This usually means the cap hasn't bottomed out on the housing it screws into.

If you tighten the cap until it won't physically turn any longer because it has bottomed out I think this is over tightened and will cause the pleat twisting. (over the 18ft lbs Chrysler calls for as the official torque-spec)

Last edited:
Yes the filter for the 11-13 is different than the filter for 14-present. Buying the wrong filter should not be a problem as the box it comes in clearly says whether the filter is for 11-13 or 14-present. Pay attention and you will not have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back