Champion generator with remote start

Status
Not open for further replies.
#41532 7000 Running Watts (Costco special)

After not starting it for few months, the remote start is not functioning. The small LED on the remote lights up implying the remote battery is good. Obviously, I understand this is one of the "1st world problem" but still I am wondering how and why it stopped functioning. The remote also was not able to stop the generator either. I am thinking the receiver is broken or connection came loose. I have no idea where they have hidden the receiver and I have no inclination to start taking the generator apart.

I am asking here just in case other people have encountered this specific problem on this or similar generator.

This is sort of the andy rooney in me but why do they have remotes if you still have to go plug in an extension cord and somehow activate the transfer switch?

So if it's 3 am during a blackout and you have to go to the bathroom, you point the remote out your window and have power for the lights and fan?

Can you at least start it up with a load attached and have it take the load without too much under-voltage drama?

I have the same opinion car stereos coming with remotes. A car stereo is pretty much by definition within reach.

Both of you are absolutely right! The only time I have actually used the remote is just to test start it. I also found out that receiver most likely looses its programming when the battery is replaced but I don't remember if the battery was always connected when it came from the manufacturer. They must have saved 0.3 cents on the non volatile flash memory to store the remote code :)

By the way, the manual claims that when started using remote, it has built-in 15 second delay before it will start producing the output to handle the condition Elje pointed out.

Last edited:
Do you have a multimeter? Check the battery in the remote yourself.

For test runs, I'd put more load on it than a light; otherwise, wouldn't you be generating needless carbon on the piston head and in the exhaust from multiple, low-load runs?

Most of the larger generators that have remote start have it wired I believe.

Are you sure you have the proper remote? Is you car starting or garage door opening?

If you were using it with an RV the remote could be nice.. for home... not to useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back