Transporting a Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Was going to take my pistol to WV to shoot with grandson. Pretty much can't do it as I have to drive through Maryland.

The problem is if your vehicle breaks down, it would be difficult bc the pistol must remain inaccessible to the driver in a locked box.

Just not worth the risk..sad.
frown.gif

I am not sure its even legal to take my KA-BAR and give it to my grandson who became a Marine Last weekend. I thought it would be good for him to have something from me.

That is just a dumb statement. Put the pistol in the trunk, unloaded, any magazines unloaded. Put the ammo in the passenger compartment. Or reverse the process. Maryland has plenty of indoor gun ranges, and a few outdoor ranges for rifles way out in the country, so there must be SOME way you could do this.

Below is the Maryland code about transporting handguns. Notice the exceptions include informal target shooting. So you're worried about your car breaking down? How often does that happen?

You can find answers to your concerns with a bit of looking.

§ 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun
(a) Prohibited. --
(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(b) Exceptions. -- This section does not prohibit:

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

"Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console."

From the Maryland Law( Link provided above):
Can I legally transport firearms interstate?
​​Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.​

My brother is military and has a concealed carry; through MD last year he put it, unloaded, in the back.

We had a discussion about transporting through MD and unless the law's been changed you are legal.

Pretty close to the same laws here. When I go to the range I lock my pistol in an ammo can and my ammo in a separate ammo can. My rifles are in cases that are locked. I have friends that are Law Enforcement and they told me that they would have zero problems with the way I transport.

Quite familiar with this sort of thing as some states manage via exceptions. Not the right way to do it, but it goes P very quick.

Passing through a state is covered by interstate travel laws.

From eastern PA to WV, I-76 can be taken to breezewood, then I-70, or just go straight across. If taking another route, passing I-95 out towards the WV/VA border is a very short drive. The amount of time in MD, if concerned, could be minimized.

So it strikes me that this may be inflammatory as much as anything else. A number of users have submitted complaints. I'm going to leave it open now but any political commentary will get it removed.

There is a federal law to protect interstate transport of firearms. You should read up on it. Unloaded. In a locked container in the trunk or way back if you have an SUV. Keep the ammo in another container in the trunk or way back.

I hear you JHZR2. Interstate transport is basic stuff if you own a firearm and want to stay legal.

The ultimate resource is the "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States". Make sure you get the 2018 edition, they change it annually with new laws that go into effect. I buy a new one every year, about $15.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Below is the Maryland code about transporting handguns. Notice the exceptions include informal target shooting. So you're worried about your car breaking down? How often does that happen?

You can find answers to your concerns with a bit of looking.

§ 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun
(a) Prohibited. --
(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(b) Exceptions. -- This section does not prohibit:

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class of
show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

WOW! I've never heard of this, but I don't go to that neck of the woods often. Good luck and Safe Travels!

You have lots of solutions posted. If you do not believe any of these sources, then I suggest you call one of the MD State Police barracks, non emergency number, ask to speak to somebody about proper procedure. Since I provided a link from the MD State Police, you can check to see how closely their answer matches their website. Note the date and time of your call and who you spoke with. Then on your trip secure the guns per the rules. In the unlucky event you get stopped, just alert the officer / trooper , followed with "going target shooting with my son". An alternative would be to talk to an indoor gun range- usually their employees are off duty police.

The book "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States" sounds like a great resource.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Quite familiar with this sort of thing as some states manage via exceptions. Not the right way to do it, but it goes P very quick.

Passing through a state is covered by interstate travel laws.

From eastern PA to WV, I-76 can be taken to breezewood, then I-70, or just go straight across. If taking another route, passing I-95 out towards the WV/VA border is a very short drive. The amount of time in MD, if concerned, could be minimized.

So it strikes me that this may be inflammatory as much as anything else. A number of users have submitted complaints. I'm going to leave it open now but any political commentary will get it removed.

BITOG members submitted complaints about a firearm related thread in a firearm sub forum?

What have we become? If you don't like it, don't look.. Better yet, don't knowingly visit an automotive forum with a firearm sub forum?

Last edited:
18 USC 926a specifically exists for the purpose of allowing the safe transport of firearms otherwise not prohibited to the user, when going from one locale to another, via any State jurisdiction.
If it is legal for you possess where you start, and where you end up, as long as you take reasonable means to not delay for any time longer than "normal".

Example conditions:
State A - legal to possess
State B - illegal to possess
State C - illegal to possess
State D - legal to possess

Example 1 - this would be considered OK
You leave and travel "straight through" all four states. You may stop for fuel and reasonable efforts such as quick meals and potty breaks. This is why 926a exists.

Example 2 - this would be considered a violation
You leave and travel into state B, stopping for a few days to visit a friend. Then travel to state C, and stop to visit a trade show and visit touristy stuff. You are not going "through" those states, you're purposely stopping in the them for planned days of duration. You're not covered under 926a.

The only grey area is if you're planning to do a "straight through" run, but come into unexpected delays such as weather, vehicle breakdowns, etc. As long as your intent is valid, and you don't stay any longer than absolutely necessary, it would likely go in your favor; however this decision would likely come down to a jury/judge should you be arrested on State charges. You'd have to use 926a as your defense.
Judge: "Mr. Smith, you were arrested for possessing firearm XYZ in violation of State B statute 12345. What is your defense?"
Your Atty: "Your honor, my client was traveling the most direct route, and he got a flat tire. He put on the spare, but it is one of those "temp" spares, so he was unable to travel very far. It was Sunday evening and could not find a local tire store open. He checked into a hotel. The next morning, my client went to the local tire shop. They opened the trunk to return the spare to the trunk, saw the locked firearm boxes, and called their local police. He was arrested. He claims 926a as defense; he was unavoidably detained by no fault of his own, and made reasonable attempts to continue legal travels as soon as practical."
In this example, it's likely you'd be cleared. Admittedly this would be a pain in the posterior and stressful.

MOST cops are aware of 926a and their state and local laws. The federal law clearly exists to protect the rights of interstate transport for individuals.

You must comply with the conditions of 926a, storage of the firearm and ammo, to have any hope of adequate defense, should you be arrested.

Last edited:
I drive from FL to IL every year with a hand gun and am not concerned. I remove the empty clip, wrap it in a rag and put it under seat. The gun body minus a shell in the chamber goes in the trunk. I have been doing this for 12 years. Ed

I will add that yes you should cooperate with police and disclose as required BUT keep your fool mouth closed when it comes to intent, what are you doing here, where are you going, beyond "I am a traveller passing through." Don't give in to fishing and if you start quoting laws by chapter the cop may start looking to mess with you or at least delay you for a bit.

The ones who respect the disclosure, locked box in trunk etc aren't the ones you want to worry about. They can tell from your mechanical (locked up) compliance you respect the law. It's the ones that start off looking to be your buddy then turn sour that you should worry about, and you can spot them after you've answered 5-6 questions in a minute or two.

I appreciate the effort to be 100% compliant to demonstrate to a state that has a hostile environment so that they won't trap you, but quoting law and verse is better saved for the courtroom. The less you say roadside, the better. "I am a traveller, passing through."

That is just a dumb statement. Put the pistol in the trunk, unloaded, any magazines unloaded. Put the ammo in the passenger compartment. Or reverse the process. Maryland has plenty of indoor gun ranges, and a few outdoor ranges for rifles way out in the country, so there must be SOME way you could do this.

You did make a good suggestion about contacting the police ahead of time. I will do that-for next time. Thanks

I read all the rules and some lawyer opinions. If your vehicle breaks down or your trip is interrupted you no longer fall under Federal Interstate Law. You are under Maryland State "
Intertransport laws" n If your car breaks doown and needs towed and or you need to transfer it. you have immediately broken State Law. And don't say you can immediately report it to a State Policeman. That may or may not work.

Again I have carefully read the laws youall have posted. Its like if you travel thru Jersey and you have a 22 hollow point on the flooor it could be jail time.

Just not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back