Lotus OEM, '05 supercharged Elise ~2K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lotus OEM oil filter, appears to be a Denso. I had bought a case of these and noticed that this one had a Toyota p/n as well as the Lotus one. I may go w/ the Toyota filters going forward, although the Lotus ones aren't that expensive.

~2K miles, Redline 5w-40, nothing in pleats

Well made filter. Can isn't as thick as the Mann or Mahle, but otherwise fine. Media is one piece and has plastic or hard adhesive rings molded at the ends that slide on the center tube.

filt 11 18 1.JPG

filt 11 18 2.JPG

Surprised that they don't use a silicon ADBV. Filter does look excellent for sure though. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Just how proud of that little Lotus filter are they?

I want to say $15 or $18. I bought a number of them a few years ago, but this was my last. I may try the corresponding Toyota filter and see what that looks like inside. May also see if there is a Mann & Hummel, Hengst or Mahle equivalent.

I doubt there's anything better.

I keep trying to use what Yamaha / Lotus recommends for the 2ZZ engine in my Celica and here you are trying to use something else before stock. Haha.

Originally Posted by sw99
Surprised that they don't use a silicon ADBV. Filter does look excellent for sure though. Thanks for posting!

How can you tell, i.e. just because it is black and typical filters touting silicon ADBV's use orange ones?

Looks a lot like my toyota YZZD3

They don't have the best micron rating but they have a very large media area. should support high flow rates.

Originally Posted by aba4430

How can you tell, i.e. just because it is black and typical filters touting silicon ADBV's use orange ones?

Nitrile rubber will get hard and take a set depending on how hot the filter gets and for how long. Silicone will stay pliable.

If you want to know up front, put a new ADBV in the freezer. If it is hard and stiff while cold, the material is most likely nitrile.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WellOiled

Nitrile rubber will get hard and take a set depending on how hot the filter gets and for how long. Silicone will stay pliable.

If you want to know up front, put a new ADBV in the freezer. If it is hard and stiff while cold, the material is most likely nitrile.

The benefits of silicon vs. nitrile are not in question, as the materials apply to an oil filter. The question is how is one sure that the particular filter in the OP has a nitrile ADBV, just because it is black?

The question is how is one sure that the particular filter in the OP has a nitrile ADBV, just because it is black?

As WellOiled mentioned ... do the freezer test and include a known silicone ADBV to compare pliability when at -20F.

I see your "Lotus" filter is made in China. Does Lotus refer to the UK/England made vehicle or to something like "Lotus Blossom" a Chinese origin name for a Chinese product
grin2.gif
. Please note this is not denigrating Chinese made products, I just find the name and where it's made as being an irony. If this is actually a Lotus vehicle oil filter I'm surprised they didn't use a European origin filter.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The question is how is one sure that the particular filter in the OP has a nitrile ADBV, just because it is black?

As WellOiled mentioned ... do the freezer test and include a known silicone ADBV to compare pliability when at -20F.

Was a test conducted prior to assuming it is nitrile? Issue is that an assumption was made that it is nitrile. Anyway, no more to add to this!

" If this is actually a Lotus vehicle oil filter I'm surprised they didn't use a European origin filter."

The first batch I bought were UK COO, the later were China COO. All were purchased from the local dealer.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Was a test conducted prior to assuming it is nitrile? Issue is that an assumption was made that it is nitrile. Anyway, no more to add to this!

If the ADBV is black it's most likely nitrile - so that would be the logical assumption. As said, a freezer test along with a known orange silicone ADBV next to it would tell you if it's black silicone or not.

For 2zz engine i use m1-209 i have one left and after that i have 4 fram xg3600. These are larger than stock filter and higher efficiency too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back