Napa Platinum on remote ATF filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running a remote ATF filter plumbed into the aux atf cooler in my F150. Last fluid change was about 80k miles, filter added at that time. Now 102k miles and I did a pan drop along with a replacing the Napa Platinum remote filter. Here is the old one. Looks to me like it is fine for a much longer service interval. It is mounted in a fairly exposed location, though, and has developed some minor corrosion around the crimp seam.

FWIW, I was a little torn about which forum to post in, since this is, technically, an engine oil filter. Being that its used for a transmission filter I am posting here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I don't have the hydraulic schematics for the 6r80 but I would assume so. The filter doubles as the fluid pick up. I find it interesting that the pan filter was probably done around 40k, around 80k I did a fluid service through the dealer without a pan drop and when I did my pan drop at 100k everything was very clean. Even the existing filter.

Last edited:
That Platinum looks like it could have easily gone the full 102k. I know ZeeOSix has problems with the efficiency of these, but in an ATF filter usage, these may be one of the best filters available. Synthetic media, high capacity, very good with larger particles.

Awesome C&P, thanks!

Snag, I wonder if your opinion wouldn't change if you did an inline filter in the return line, and compared the pan magnet before and after. Maybe manufacturers don't use spin on filters because the only particles of real concern in a transmission are the metallic ones? I don't know..?

I run a Napa 1308 as a remote ATF filter in the 240's. At 20k the fluid and filter is so clean I'm embarrassed to admit I changed it.

Sam

This is a very good setup I believe this is a great application for a Napa Platinum and I would not change the filter again for another half decade.

That looks like a very well constructed filter. First oxp seen cut open.
Even if it's really only 50 % efficient at 20 microns it's still gonna catch and clean the smaller particles out in short time. Probably down to 5 microns and below.it will just take more passes but in a transmission that's not a big deal since there is so little contamination anyway.
You could put another one of those on and leave it for 100k or more np

That's my thought, Pinoak... 1 filter for the life of the trans. I want to add a filter to mine and was on the fence. Use a Magnefine or a Fram XG16. I think the location of the filter is going to be tough to get at behind the grille of my Expedition. So using something I'll never need to change again might be something I'd like to do.

Good info and pictures !! I have used external spin-on trans filters on numerous vehicles for a couple of decades. It is my very definite opinion that this is one of the very best things that can be done for the health of your transmission. -and BTW, Napa Gold Filters are excellent. (-they are high grade Wix filters )

I learned several things over the years. One is that the micron rating of a typical transmission internal (full-flow) filter is pretty poor. -like around 80 microns or worse!! -probably due in part that they have to be totally non-restrictive, especially at extremely cold temps.
So most any spin-on will filter at least down to around 25 microns or better.

Another things is adding a spin-on kit sure makes trans fluid changes easy !!

And lastly, there ARE some factory stock transmissions that use external spin-on filters. -one of the obvious ones is Allison.

Originally Posted by StevieC
What remote mount are you using and what thread is it?

Straight out of my notes: Napa "ATP 1-8429" remote filter mount, Napa Platinum 41085 filter, 1/2in atf hose cooler-return, OE cooler, OE hose rad-cooler. Return hose clamped to cut-off line to preserve factory return line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back