No warranty cause their is no proof my tires weren't rotated every 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all 4 of my tires are shot after 30k miles and discount tire says the manufacturer isn't going to give any prorated warranty cause they don't show any proof the tires were rotated. They're supposed to be rotated every 5k. How dumb. They're worn pretty even too. We're talking $800-1200 for new tires on my truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you rotate them yourself it doesn't matter. These are yokahamas and man they sure ride rough compared to any other tire.

I'm kind of surprised the guy basically said tough [censored]. I was trying to buy 5 new tires. I thought they had a sales quota to meet.

Yup, they did that with my 04' VW. One defective Michelin and they said since their computer shows we missed 1 rotation, they couldn't replace it. The dealer rotated them at that interval when it went in for service. Oh well.

Customer service must vary depending on the individual store and it's manager. I had a set of Yokohamas and got a nail in one requiring tire replacement. I had about 50K miles on them and was a bit concerned about using them through another winter snow season. The manager offered to pro rate all my tires and made a great deal on a new set. I rotated them myself and he seemed o.k. with that because the wear was very even on all 4 tires.

Originally Posted by JC1
talk about bad customer service......

Yeah I've never had any complaints about them until now.

Originally Posted by JC1
talk about bad customer service......

Yes it is, on principal I would buy a different brand of tire from another supplier.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Yup, they did that with my 04' VW. One defective Michelin and they said since their computer shows we missed 1 rotation, they couldn't replace it. The dealer rotated them at that interval when it went in for service. Oh well.

I wonder what they say to owners of vehicles with different sized tires front and rear that are directional.

Does the tire warranty state that it has to be rotated by the installer? If so, that makes no sense.

Just make up an excel spreadsheet or word document showing that you rotated them every 5k miles. This might be lying; HOWEVER, if the tires have worn evenly, then there's zero reason for them to deny the claim, since the point of rotating is to ensure...even wear...

It shouldn't be anything to lose sleep over. The Tire Warranties are mostly bogus, the pro-rated warranty is based on the full MSRP of the tire, but virtually nobody pays full MSRP on tires. EVER.

If you qualified for a 50% pro-rated price against new tires at full MSRP, you might scratch your head and wonder why this offer is more expensive than the regular everyday price at DT or any other tire store.

Another thing to consider is I've noticed DT and DTD prices have risen since the recent death of their founder. The rebate sales aren't as good so maybe they're doing the same with warranty claims. Last year I caught them jacking up the price of a tire right before one of their sales. This was before the founder died. But they honored the lower price when I bought it up since they could confirm what I said. The price hike was a pretty good chunk and this was DTD to be specific.

"CUSTOMER'S OBLIGATIONS
The customer must present the claim tire to an authorized Yokohama retail tire dealer in the United States. To obtain mileage prorated adjustments, the customer needs to provide proof of original purchase for the claim tires(s) that states the vehicle mileage at the time of the original installation. Additionally, the customer must provide proof that the tires have been rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles."

https://www.yokohamatire.com/owners-circle/warranty

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
So all 4 of my tires are shot after 30k miles and discount tire says the manufacturer isn't going to give any prorated warranty cause they don't show any proof the tires were rotated. They're supposed to be rotated every 5k. How dumb. They're worn pretty even too. We're talking $800-1200 for new tires on my truck.

Tire guys are the worlds best for avoiding warranty payouts.

UD

Originally Posted by Trav

I wonder what they say to owners of vehicles with different sized tires front and rear that are directional.

They halve the warranty.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by Trav

From what I have seen, they cut the mileage warranty on staggered fitment in half.

Also for the "make your own every 5K list" don't make it exactly 5K, they see right through that.

I had a really bad experience with Discount Tire and took my business elsewhere. I had spent thousands of dollars at DT too. Ah well! I tell my extended family/friends to stay away from DT.

Call the Manager and tell him that you are going to file a report with the Attorney General's Office, BBB, Dept. Consumer Affairs, DOT, and FTC. Not that you really will....It will at least make him think......Spread the word and tell everyone you know to avoid Discount Tire and everyone else.....Sorry to hear your news!

Originally Posted by Onetor
I had a really bad experience with Discount Tire and took my business elsewhere.

Ditto. Ten years ago, I used to swear by them. I always thought they were straight up and honest. Not anymore.

My wife had a bad OEM tire on the Explorer that kept going flat. I told her to take it to DT since I previously had fantastic service from them and thought it only needed a patch. They told her the sidewall was bad (new tire time) and oh....by the way....the other front tire is bad also (new tire time).

She called me and relayed the news. Since we had the tire/wheel plan on our lease, I told her to drive to the dealership so they could replace the tire for free under the plan. I also wanted the other "bad" tire checked by them.

Long story short, only the actual bad tire was truly bad and Ford replaced it at no cost. They took a look at the other tire and there wasn't a darn thing wrong with it. BYE DT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back