Oli change labor $11

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my zippy lube guy retired and after seeing the guys they been hiring lately I decided I needed to take it to my mech but wasn't sure he was ok with me bringing my own oil/filter but he said he has a lot of guys do that. So I picked up my car the other day and went to pay the bill and it was $10 labor and $1 for filter disposal.

The only reason I wasn't taking it to him in the past is he requires the car be there all day but for that price i'm ok with that.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

The only reason I wasn't taking it to him in the past is he requires the car be there all day but for that price i'm ok with that.

He would keep more customers if he would have one bay for "fast" work, like oil changes

Around here shops will often do the quick things at 8 AM when they open. Like inspections and oil changes. They clear those out and start the more involved repairs.

Oil changes are loss leaders for small shops. But they can do a quick inspection for other issues, like a juicy brake job.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Duffyjr

He would keep more customers if he would have one bay for "fast" work, like oil changes

Oil changes don't pay.

This guy is honest as the day is long and them some. He has three bays and two hired mech. He does all the oil changes in the morning so I could pick it up earlier but my wife works 15 miles from town so I have to wait until she gets off so I guess it's not his fault it's there all day.

He also doesn't charge the hour minimum, he just fixed the door handle on my Lucerne and the labor was $40, you don't want to know what GM charged for the handle
mad.gif

He is usually 10-12 days out when I schedule an appointment so he has all the work he wants.

I usually take in a dozen of the good donuts but we have given him and his wife gift certificates for Applebee's and Godfather's a few times over he years.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
$11 for the labor!? Wow, you've got a good mechanic there. I'd tip him really well.

^^^^^^

Right on Nick. That's more than a fair deal.

After I saw this post I called a shop near me and they charge 25 bucks when you bring your own oil and filter. You got a bargain.

I pay Jiffy Lube $32 with my own oil and filter.
And I'm happy to do it.
At 71 I'm done doing it myself.
Plus i run my oil for 10K miles so its not that often.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I've tried to find a shop nearby (NYC area) to change my own oil, however, they weren't interested, and one wanted to charge for labor what he charges for his regular oil change. The Honda dealership nearby used to have reasonable prices, however, I didn't want to use bulk oil, and they frequently overfilled. So, I decided to start changing the oil myself.

If I have my mechanic's shop change my oil I bring my own oil & filter, he doesn't care. Recently he charged $31 labor for the oil change but only $20 to balance and properly rotate the tires on our 2005 Explorer, one charge balanced out the other. Other times he's charged $16 labor for the oil change and other times he's charged $15 for a tire rotation and oil change. I can't complain because over the years he's done quality at very reasonable prices. He's also done work like tire rotations and didn't charge me. Recently he fixed an over $3,000 wiring harness problem on my 1996 Contour for $260 because he used his skills and looked beyond just replacing a very rare complete engine wiring harness. Over all I come out way ahead.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back