"Barn finds"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems quite the fad, everybody and their brother has a TV show about "barn finds". I realize there might be an occasional find that would really be valuable, but the majority, are well, lets just say less than incredible. With all the refrains here on BITOG of "storing a vehicle hurts it -- drive it whenever possible!" what exactly is the allure for 90% of the finds? I think the exuberance is a bit overdone.

It hits the same nerve as gambling....a variation of "something for nothing" but with a focus on cars.

Ex 1: finding a super rare car for under $100 then, after a $40,000 restoration you have a $1, 840,000 rarity.

Ex 2: finding an unwanted sedan which can be heavily modified. Here a high initial investment isn't necessary.

Also, don't be fooled by staged TV shows. Park a rough car in a barn, break out the cameras and stultifying dialog and BANG, you have a TV production.

Honestly, cheap, garbage production TV is so pass'e.

Originally Posted by Kira

Also, don't be fooled by staged TV shows. Park a rough car in a barn, break out the cameras and stultifying dialog and BANG, you have a TV production.

Honestly, cheap, garbage production TV is so pass'e.

Yes, I agree. I am not fooled. Some are so staged its pathetic. I quit watching most of them. I think there has been some influence on the masses though. I sometime hear everyday Joe's occasionally talking about "Barn Finds" like they are the greatest thing on earth, like finding the Hope Diamond in a barn. In reality they might find an overpriced pile of junk that will be nothing but an expensive headache to restore.

I live in an area where barn or garage finds are the norm. I know of an SS chevelle,Shelby mustangs and all sorts of 340,383,440 mopars and even a hemi charger are tucked away to be restored "someday".

Maybe the allure is seeing something brought back to life and restored instead of rotting away or being scrapped. It's a lot of work even if they are stored in reasonable conditions. My MG sat unused for 18 years in a garage, but it still needed lots of work to make it roadworthy again. It broke down one day and the original owner was not a mechanic. He just kept hoping to get it fixed "someday", then he met me and we got to chatting about cars when he mentioned he had an MG Midget sitting in his garage. Not worth much, but the owner was delighted that it got a new lease on life instead of deteriorating in his garage. He just stipulated he gets first dibs to buy it back if I decide to sell it.

Nearly brand new cars sitting around in garages waiting to be "found" are quite common. I have two, one I've talked about on here, one I haven't ... I doubt I am in any way unique.

Putting a car in a "barn" or the equivalent, is a recipe for disaster. I know of quite a few old Mustangs and the like around here that were parked, literally, in barns, and they're disasters. Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole and someone else's money.

I was watching some show about restoring a gal's old truck in her barn so she'd have something to drive her son around in and I noticed they must have told her to wear something low cut every day and to bend over a lot...she looked really nice, but it just seemed orchestrated and kind of tasteless to me. Maybe it was just how she liked to dress, but they definitely made sure to get the camera on her at just the right angle over and over and over...

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Reality TV Shows are all fake, just like Professional Wrestling.
Take them for what their worth.

Wrestling is fake???
confused2.gif

I used to like to watch Ghost Mine to observe their mining techniques, equipment used, assay and gold extraction methods. Details on the last were pretty thin. I tolerated as wasted time the ghost stories with the "expert" and his actress assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back