Anyone familiar with SBC oil filters? (Small block chevy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to know these, there are 4. A short, medium, long and extra long. Anyone know the numbers? Application 69 to 95 maybe higher 350 chevy, car or half ton, no oil cooler.

I just used a Fram PH5. Replaced a similar sized Wix 51060. Both are about that 3.7" diameter by 5.1" tall. The Wix 51036 is of the smaller size, 2.9x4.8".

I'm pretty sure I used a Fram PH 13, 1 quart filter on my 69 camaro, but that was 30 years ago, I had big block trucks for 10 years after that, my brain is foggy, those might have been PH 13's, but on the big blocks I use the 2 quart filter. I'm pretty sure the PH 13 is not the 2 quart filter for the big blocks.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I'm pretty sure the PH 13 is not the 2 quart filter for the big blocks.

That is a Fram PH373 - 2qt size "orange can" filter

Originally Posted by Linctex
Wix 51794

Rockauto has these for $9 each.

There's a seller on ebay selling Fram PH373's in a pack of six for $60 plus shipping

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I'm pretty sure I used a Fram PH 13, 1 quart filter on my 69 camaro, but that was 30 years ago, I had big block trucks for 10 years after that, my brain is foggy, those might have been PH 13's, but on the big blocks I use the 2 quart filter. I'm pretty sure the PH 13 is not the 2 quart filter for the big blocks.

The ph5 replaced the 13 several years ago.

Mom and Dad had a 1991 Caprice 5.0l . When they passed , I inherited it . Dad used a longer filter , AC Delco , I think . What would that part # be ?

Thanks , :)

Rockauto has a ton of different style and brand filters. Take a look at Hastings or Mahle filters. They're top of the line.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Looked it up on RockAuto . PF1218 ?

The PF1218 has replaced the PF35 for all "long" filter applications.

Originally Posted by cronk
Ac delco Numbers
PF454 short
PF1218 long

PF932 is the 2 quart one.

Most of the filters changed numbers due to adding anti drain back valves.

Also PF52 is the filter for 88 to 00 4wd IFS applications. The adapter for that filter is removable and can have the standard relief/stud assembly put back on the block to be able to use the regular filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jhellwig
Most of the filters changed numbers due to adding anti drain back valves.

I wouldn't be surprise. The Wix filters of the time, too, had no ADBV. I couldn't remember the part numbers under threat of torture.

I'd suggest the OP go to one of the application guides for his filter manufacturer of choice. Baldwin and Hastings will list oversize and undersize, too, making it easier.

My 1995 Corvette LT1 (gen 2 SBC) takes the following oil filters... these are all standard size:
Bosch 3430
WIX 51036
Napa 1036
Denso 150-2016
Motorcraft FL402
Mobil M1-201
Fram XG3980
Purolator (P)L24011
Baldwin B35-S
Mahle OC 721
I favor the WIX, Mobil 1 and Motorcraft filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back