Motorcraft "DY" coolant??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another coolant!!
crazy2.gif

I don't know. Looking at their SDS's, which are almost useless now-a-days, it seems that it is closer to their orange oat coolant. The Gold hoat still shows nitrite. The new yellow coolant advertises 10 year, 200,000 mile. I suspect this is an OAT coolant similar to the MOPAR purple??

Talk about coolant confusion!! Many people claim that the MOPAR purple is exactly the same as Dexcool. This Ford change makes one wonder why they just didn't reformulate their orange product a bit and, that maybe there ARE differences between these new coolants and the original Dexcool.

Maybe bdcardinal will chime in.

Yellow coolant specs:... https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ling%20Products

Ford Coolant Recomendations:... https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf ....notice not all models are switching to the new yellow.

First I've seen this. I thought FoMoCo was trying to go with one AF for all vehicles when they went to Dex Orange. Apparently decided a change needed for 2019. Looks like DY intended for heavy duty/diesel truck engine applications.

Wonder what the main difference is between this and the Orange. Knowing that MSDS not all inclusive for content, they look similar.

Guess all that is "Yellow" is not "Gold"?? I noticed the Ford spec numbers were different, I was wondering if this meant there were "Deathcool" related issues with the current Orange, or what the Ford was going on!
grin.gif

It does have 2eha in it but no silicates or phosphates. It has mostly all different ingredients than orange, yellow, or specialty green. I have a jug in my hands but i cant upload an image it asks for a url. Sorry im fairly new. I swear there used to be an option to choose from device... either way ill try later. Ill judge it as we service the vehicles using it. I would also guess its similar to chrysler purple oat and mercedes oat. It smells like universal prestone. Almost sweet.

Is this compatible with the MC orange? Also, is it likely to have any benefit for water pump seal life?

Originally Posted by neo3
Is this compatible with the MC orange? Also, is it likely to have any benefit for water pump seal life?

Last I read was that Ford said they were still determining if this could be used in prior applications.

Originally Posted by neo3
As it's so new with little known about it, I'd make no assumptions. For now I'd use the topic AF if spec'd and would not mix with MC Orange, or use interchangeably.

And, considering the admonishment not to mix colors or types on the Yellow Coolant Spec sheet linked above, for now I'd follow that instruction.

Just bought a 2018 Ford Escape with a build date of 8-9-2018, It has pink antifreeze in it. (not orange) Had a 2014 Escape with orange. Anyway the manual shows WSS-M9B44-D2 that's the orange #. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garman
Just bought a 2018 Ford Escape with a build date of 8-9-2018,

What motor?

Sorry 2.0L Ecoboost, thought it was on the bottom of thread. Weird color, light pink.

Last edited:
Thanks bd, yeah I checked the strength of the "pink" anti freeze and it was only -10, sucked out as much of the -10 as I could and added about a pint of concentrate orange, guess what it turned to the orange that I was use to seeing. Bought the car with 26 miles on it last week, nice job ford what a way to save a dollar.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Anybody know if this yellow coolant is the same as Premium Gold/G-05?

Motorcraft yellow and G05 both meet spec. WSS-M97B51-A1 and therefor are the same. Orange is spec # WSS-M97B44-D and WSS-M97B44-D2 and are not compatable with G05.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back