R.I.P. David Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard it today during SiriusXM Speedway with Dave Moody during his cross talk with Brad Gillie and Brad Daugherty. Confirmed on the Wood Brother's Twitter account: https://twitter.com/woodbrothers21/status/1062135231728226305

The Silver Fox had 105 NASCAR premier series wins during is career, second only to "The King" Richard Petty's 200 wins. Notable wins are the 1976 Daytona 500, 1976, 77, and 79 Southern 500s, 1961, 74, 76 World 600s. He rarely competed full time, only 3 seasons 1966, 1968, and 1969, but won the championship in those years.

The only time I saw David Pearson racing live and in person was in 1963 or 1964 at the old Langhorne Speedway. He battled with Bobby Isaac and Fireball Roberts on that treacherous dirt track. Pearson was one of the true giants of Nascar drivers. Tough to see the old timers pass on. RIP.

RIP, I watched David Pearson race from when I was a little boy till I became a man. I watched him win a lot of races. I had a lot of respect for him!

The throwbacks at Darlington to his cars have been awesome.

e537aad4a92d7641b854811b13a43003-600x400.jpg

nascar-cup-darlington-throwback-schemes-2016-ryan-blaney-throwback-david-pearson-paint-sch.jpg

6.jpg

stenhouse.jpg

I wasn't familiar with him. It sounds like he lived life to the fullest.

Condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

RIP

Can't say I am surprised. I saw him on TV several years ago and he was not doing well cognitively. I felt like he was really having some issues at that time. Candidly I thought he would have passed away before now. .

He was one of the greats no doubt. If you had a mount Rushmore of NASCAR racing... He's there along with Petty, Bobby Allison and Dale Sr in my book.

The one Daytona race where he and Petty wrecked coming to the checkers was a great finish. He got his car going after the wreck and crossed the finish line to win that race....

Now he has crossed his last finish line to be with his family and friends that have been waiting for him.

Last edited:
Sad to hear. Pearson and Petty were close friends for almost 60 years. Years ago I saw Petty in a TV interview saying, having been fierce competitors all those years, they never said a harmful word toward each other. Petty and Jr Johnson are probably the last surviving members of Nascars greatest era.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Sad to hear. Pearson and Petty were close friends for almost 60 years. Years ago I saw Petty in a TV interview saying, having been fierce competitors all those years, they never said a harmful word toward each other. Petty and Jr Johnson are probably the last surviving members of Nascars greatest era.

Ned Jarrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back