Suggestion for in-lbs torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbor Freight has one for about $10
smile.gif

It goes from 20-200 in lb

What size drive? 1/2 in? 3/8 or 1/4 in? Most if not all 3/8 & 1/2 in are in ft-lbs and if you need in-lbs, just multiply by 12 in. For in-lbs, I have a CDI 1/4 in clicker.

Last edited:
What are you looking for exactly? A wrench that goes lower than the ones you have can do accurately? What range is needed or is this for something that requires high accuracy in the lower range?

Trav's questions are reasonable. It's not clear why you can't use a 3/8" one for low torques, or for higher torques than a 3/8" can handle, simply use your ½" one and multiply by 12. ??

I have the harbor freight one also, works fine. I have them in all 3 sizes. But for heads and rods I use an old Snap On. If you aren't building the space shuttle it will do the job.

Originally Posted by E365
Tekton 1/4" drive. I have one and it's very solid. In my opinion, Tekton is at a real nice middle-ground of decent quality and reasonable price.

TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (20-200 in.-lb./2.26-22.6 Nm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL2EG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mtK6BbS3A8340

I second this.

I have the tekton in 1/4 3/8 and the small 1/2 drive. They work great for as often as I need them.

Originally Posted by CR94
Trav's questions are reasonable. It's not clear why you can't use a 3/8" one for low torques, or for higher torques than a 3/8" can handle, simply use your ½" one and multiply by 12. ??

Click type torque wrenches are only calibrated between 20% and 100% of their span. Below 20% of span the accuracy is not predictable.

Torqometer by Snap On. Click type wrenches are not good for low torque apps. I got a digital torque meter to test my click wrenches and even the speed, direction, way you hold it messes with click torque wrench readings. It may not matter but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DONWATERS
If you aren't building the space shuttle it will do the job.

Or working with adjustable friction bands once common in transmissions and possibly the Bobcat he owns that had a very low initial inch pound setting minus x of a turn.

My sockets are either 1/4" or 1/2". No 3/8" sockets. Its not for anything specific, but every once in awhile I come across something where it says so many in-lbs. Mostly cars or my boat or OPE. I don't work on bikes or have firearms.

why arent clickers good for low torque apps? im just curious. I have used my snap on 3/8 5-75 ft lbs click wrench with no problems, from 20 to 100% of range, which is 15 to 75 ft lbs. I use it pretty often on the low side at 18 for GM drain plugs. I also use my 3/8 snap on 40-200 in lbs wrench with no problems. I use the 5 to 75 ft lbs one anywhere from 15 to around 55, any higher I use 1/2 in drive, the 40-200 in lbs one I use from 40 to around 180 in lbs.

Clickers are fine as long as you use them withing their +- 20% operating range (unless the manufacturer specs different), set them to zero or "stop" on some when finished with them, keep then clean and dry and don't drop them or abuse them or use them as breaker bars.
From my own experience when it hasn't been used in a while click it a few times at half the spec you need a couple of times to get the mechanism working and lubed properly then set it at the torque you need.

One clicker I had had the 20% already taken into account on the scale so it could be used within the whole scale, this is not common. They are a sensitive precision instrument and must be treated as such if they are to give continued accurate readings for a longer time. Most of this is not applicable to split beams.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have two normal 1/2" ft-lb torque wrenches but want a click one that does in-lbs for less than $75.

A little more than $75, but I've been happy with my precision instruments split beam.

Snap on 1/4 drive ratchet...... after tight comes loose!!... lol
I been slingin chrome for 20 years and never used a inch # torque wrench..... I have seen alot of folks strip stuff out because they go too fast or didnt feel the click..... generally the bolt size and depth will tell you how much elbow to give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back