Ok to just drain radiator and not engine block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 v6 4runner with 132k miles. Toyota recommends to drain and fill every 50k. Would I be ok just draining and filling the radiator? From my understanding coolant needs a refresh of additives and acidity so getting every drop out is not important. Is this thinking ok?

I know at least Honda's procedure only involves draining the radiator, which is what I do.

If the coolant in there looks good, I would just start a yearly radiator drain and fill regiment. and call it good. Coolant is pretty cheap and the D&F's are easy to do.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
What do you do with the old radiator fluid?

I buy a new jug of prestone at walmart drain the old stuff in a bucket, then put into the empty jug , bring it to walmart.
I always give them my used oil and antifreeze. Girl gives me a thankyou , I say I'll be back and were both happy
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PlzRepond
2007 v6 4runner with 132k miles. Toyota recommends to drain and fill every 50k. Would I be ok just draining and filling the radiator? From my understanding coolant needs a refresh of additives and acidity so getting every drop out is not important. Is this thinking ok?

Personally, I like to get out as much of the old stuff as possible, and then fill with dH2O. Run to temp, allow to cool, drain the dH2O, and then refill with new coolant. I don't know if this is necessary or just OCD.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
What do you do with the old radiator fluid?

Jug it and take it to the local haz waste facility (or Advance/O'Reilly/Autozone if they accept it).

Rad dumps are fine. When I start getting into engine block drains I worry that something's gonna snap due to rust or whatever.

The engine drains on the V6 are some of the easier ones to reach that I've wrenched on. Just needs a few extensions.

See my video here if you want to open them up.

I just do the annual dump and fill of the radiator to freshen up the chemistry and check conditions. Cheap. I don't bother with the engine block. Just what is in the radiator.

My local WM told me that they don't accept used antifreeze. I asked at the store. Neither do any auto shop local. Only the section of landfill specifically for recycling with a fee.

Toyota block drains are usually no problem even up in the rust belt, the aluminum blocks are sometimes a 2 piece valve with a smaller drain bolt in the part that is in the block, they loosen easily. Look at it, if its this type you have it made. If its a steel plug in an iron block I would probably leave it in peace.
They are under the exhaust manifolds and you get at them through the wheel wells, some long extensions and a swivel with get them.
You do not need to remove it just loosen it, it has a little drain tube under it, open it till it stops running, snug it up lightly then do the other side.

Use a bit of common sense, its it super tight and does not loosen with a reasonable amount (in other words don't start getting the 1/2" set out, use 3/8 drive) of force forget it and just do a radiator drain and fill. .

I just drain the radiator. I do it at 100k miles. Is it supposed to be 50k miles?

Originally Posted by Onetor
My local WM told me that they don't accept used antifreeze. I asked at the store. Neither do any auto shop local. Only the section of landfill specifically for recycling with a fee.

Interesting! I have heard of some walmarts taking it and others do not. Does yours have an auto center or is it just the store? IME the ones with auto centers usually take antifreeze and oil, but this could vary by region.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I just drain the radiator. I do it at 100k miles. Is it supposed to be 50k miles?

The maint guide for the 4Runner says initial drain is at 100k then following ones are 50.

You seem to have gotten plenty of life on your cars so I doubt you have done anything bad. Do u use Toyota pink in all your vehicles?

Originally Posted by RyanY

Interesting! I have heard of some walmarts taking it and others do not. Does yours have an auto center or is it just the store? IME the ones with auto centers usually take antifreeze and oil, but this could vary by region.

My local WM does have an auto center. Maybe they didn't want to bother who knows?

Wow
cry.gif
My takes all the used oil and antifreeze I can give them.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by PlzRepond

The maint guide for the 4Runner says initial drain is at 100k then following ones are 50.

You seem to have gotten plenty of life on your cars so I doubt you have done anything bad. Do u use Toyota pink in all your vehicles?

Currently have Pentosin Asian in the Corolla and Auto Zone universal in the Rav4.

Unscrewing the block drain (at least on the Toyota V6s) will not remove a significant amount of additional coolant. I just serviced a RX350 with the 2GR; draining the block removed an additional 2 cups, if at all.

First coolant change is at 100k. Subsequent ones are at 50K intervals.

On some cars, doing a coolant replacement sometimes gets (excessive) air into the system and some can be tricky to get fully vented. Does this happen when draining/refilling like described in this thread ?

I always do the block drain(s). Make sure you have the heater turned to maximum temp so you can get more antifreeze out from the heater core area. It is hard finding the block drains the first time. Get a long extension and a 10mm socket.

I never rinse the pink toyota. I only rinse the red toyota because I can add a little extra red antifreeze to make up for the distilled water left after the drain. The pink is premixed so all I do is dilute it by leaving rinse water in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back