PentaStar Amsoil EAK Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Amsoil now has a PentaStar V6 oil filter available in their EAK line rated for 15,000 miles. (24,000km)
It's cheaper to use a Fram Ultra as it offers the same/better filtration but just for anyone interested it's available now.

EAK15K19.png

Last edited:
You're right the Fram Ultra is a better deal, even with 25% off. It is probably a quality filter. I'd like to see a Mobil 1 filter for the 3.6 Pentastar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
You're right the Fram Ultra is a better deal, even with 25% off. I'd like to see a Mobil 1 filter for the 3.6 Pentastar.

Yeah they are crazy charging that price for 15K miles when other filters are capable of the same or more for a lot less. That filter from Amsoil looks like the Ultra ones I have in the basement right down to the o-ring on the filter cage at the bottom and the red housing o-ring. Makes me wonder if they are just relabeling it to have an offering. Plus they are rated for the same mileage. I should ask Jay.
grin2.gif

The Fram Ultras are marked "Made in Korea" so I should get one of these to compare because the other filters by Amsoil are made in the USA for the EAK/EAO line.

Last edited:
They would most likely be under a non-disclosure agreement anyway so I doubt he would be able to tell us even if he knew because it would affect their sales.

I'm going to order one with my next batch of oil and have a look at it. (My work pays anyways)

Last edited:
I just looked at both closely and the plastic top is slightly different so most likely a different manufacturer.

It does "look" the same as a Fram Ultra. And, the XG11665 cartridge may not be using the famous 2-ply non-white Fram Ultra media seen in other Fram Ultra filters. Therefore, I would doubt the XG11665 would perform any differently in 4548-12 as this Amsoil one. ... Best one can do: get the cheaper Fram Ultra instead of Amsoil.

The Fram Ultra filter for the PentaStar uses the white media like this one. But the plastic tops of both the Ultra and the Amsoil are slightly different so I think someone else is manufacturing it. I know Amsoil is sticklers for using parts made in the USA where possible and the Ultras are made in South Korea.

I service a friend's 2015 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 Eco Diesel. The dealer wants like $70 for the (probably $1 to make) oil filter.
She talked them down to $40 one time, I believe.
The Mopar is now $41 at Amazon.
I have used Wix and EcoGard (about $12).

Sheesh.

You have to see what it looks like on the inside
banana2.gif

The Fram Ultra for the Pentastar uses a clear plastic mesh backing. Wix uses regular wire mesh for the Pentastar XP cartridge .

They do sub Wix filters for applications that don't have an EAK/EAO filter by Amsoil but I used the Wix version for my in-laws PentaStar at the last oil change and it was gold coloured media. I didn't know they had another type that resembled the Ultra.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
It does "look" the same as a Fram Ultra. And, the XG11665 cartridge may not be using the famous 2-ply non-white Fram Ultra media seen in other Fram Ultra filters. Therefore, I would doubt the XG11665 would perform any differently in 4548-12 as this Amsoil one. ... Best one can do: get the cheaper Fram Ultra instead of Amsoil.

Yeah, a 1/2% difference in efficiency is splitting hairs.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I service a friend's 2015 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 Eco Diesel. The dealer wants like $70 for the (probably $1 to make) oil filter.

Sheesh.
Ouch-guess FCA has to pay their bills somehow! Sad thing is, the Mopar is likely a Purolator!

Sheesh.

Yeah that is a real joke. I researched that before.

Amsoil's EAO oil filters used to be rated @15 microns vs 20 now. They are well built filters, but pricey.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The dealer wants like $70 for the (probably $1 to make) oil filter.
Ouch-guess FCA has to pay their bills somehow! Sad thing is, the Mopar is likely a Purolator!
..FCA not getting the profit, probably the stealership owner. I hope FCA is gouging on wholesale prices at least a little to make a profit. Better than having the U.S. taxpayer bail them out for a 3rd time. If FCA goes down again, its the Italians turn to bail them out.
28.gif

Originally Posted by Onetor
Amsoil's EAO oil filters used to be rated @15 microns vs 20 now. They are well built filters, but pricey.
Rated at what %@15 microns? It makes no sense to leave that part out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back