Need to Update My Flight Carry-on Bag, Recommendations Sought !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any frequent fliers? I'm not. Have a trip coming up in two weeks that will have me on a CRJ 200 or similar regional jet, and a 757. I need a new carry-on bag and would be interested to know from any frequent fliers what's a good one that you can put a lot of clothes in but still within size limits. 5 day stay so might be able to get all my stuff in the carry-on and not have to do baggage check. Available on Amazon Prime a plus.

https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0684238002.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2o_fBRC8ARIsAIOyQ-mSmRi0f55cN_ygr08U8yXo7hWrbzimC0x0_mdLLeFyvYZl_yUy668aAkvsEALw_wcB&CAWELAID=120032800000317879&ef_id=Cj0KCQiA2o_fBRC8ARIsAIOyQ-mSmRi0f55cN_ygr08U8yXo7hWrbzimC0x0_mdLLeFyvYZl_yUy668aAkvsEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!860!3!295501444260!!!g!297421435105!
Just put one of those smiley faces on it that winks... vogue

Osprey Porter 30 or 46. I'll never go back to a regular "carry-on".

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/porter-30-PORTER30.html

95% of the time they see a backpack at the gate and never look twice. I've never had to gate check my porter 46 and can fit easily 3-4 days of clothes plus some. If you travel a lot, the price is worth it.

I've flow in the US and Europe (ryanair, easyjet, etc) and its always fit in the overhead door. I had to prove its size on easy jet and i just cinched down the straps and it fit in their basket with no issues.

Last edited:
While not so much by flying, I travel a lot and I think a hiking backpack is exactly what you're looking for. Something within the 40-50L range that might even be able to fit under the chair if you're lucky and you're not packing big bulky items like multiple sweaters or jackets. I've packed 5 days worth of casual outfits (tshirts, shorts, undies, one set of jeans and my toiletry kit) rolled up into a backpack smaller than the one I linked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R6B7EG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I personally use a 40L hiking pack that has a bunch of external straps and pockets too in case I want to attach anything outside of it.

Last edited:
My take is this.
Go to Walmart, get a 4 wheel carry on, I bought a Swiss Gear for $50. You can also take another personal item so I take a mid sized back pack. The 4 wheel goes on sky check and the back pack goes over the seat or under. Nothing gets checked.
Did a 4 day golf trip to Nashville that way. More than enough room.

Originally Posted by Danno
My take is this.
Go to Walmart, get a 4 wheel carry on, I bought a Swiss Gear for $50. You can also take another personal item so I take a mid sized back pack. The 4 wheel goes on sky check and the back pack goes over the seat or under. Nothing gets checked.

The only issue is these cheap bags are pretty much trash after a coast to coast flight if you change planes one time each way-if you do need to check it-due to the overheads being full.

Ask me how I know......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Any frequent fliers? I'm not. Have a trip coming up in two weeks that will have me on a CRJ 200 or similar regional jet, and a 757. I need a new carry-on bag and would be interested to know from any frequent fliers what's a good one that you can put a lot of clothes in but still within size limits. 5 day stay so might be able to get all my stuff in the carry-on and not have to do baggage check. Available on Amazon Prime a plus.

I have a couple of Samsonite 21 carry-ons, I'm partial to the spinners.

You will gate check when boarding the CRJ and pick-up your bag at your destination right at the gate, not baggage claim, & you will carry on when you board the 757.

I rarely check a bag and travel every week but a 5 day stay for someone who doesn't travel a lot is quite long for a carry-on. Only pack two pair of pants and change shirts to save space and only take the shoes you wear to the airport and you can do it with a carry-on. Don't over-stuff it, just bugs me when people over-stuff their suitcase and unzip the expander & then try and force it in the overhead bin...

RO

Originally Posted by volk06
Osprey Porter 30 or 46. I'll never go back to a regular "carry-on".

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/porter-30-PORTER30.html

95% of the time they see a backpack at the gate and never look twice. I've never had to gate check my porter 46 and can fit easily 3-4 days of clothes plus some. If you travel a lot, the price is worth it.

I've flow in the US and Europe (ryanair, easyjet, etc) and its always fit in the overhead door. I had to prove its size on easy jet and i just cinched down the straps and it fit in their basket with no issues.

It won't fit in the overhead of an RJ, however...it will have to be gate checked.

The best bag - bar none, is the Luggage Works Stealth line. They're what I use. But really pricey.

https://luggageworks.com/browse-products/stealth-series.html

If you want a good carry on - get TravelPro. They will cost you (I get them at a substantial discount).

Swiss Gear makes a good bag, not quite as good as TravelPro, but a good bag. Try a place like TJ Maxx. They're about $90.

Last edited:
Our local airlines charge the equivalent of $18 US per checked flight, $36 return. You can pay for your carry-on bag in just two round trips. Most folks use a carry-on for short trips but some are probably taking up space with a carry-on and also checking a bag.

My peeve is that in an emergency, so many people grab their carry-on and head for the slide. Remember the shots of the disoriented passengers walking on the tarmac with their Gucci carry-ons?

Anyway, +1 for Swiss gear. Remember, the best way to get a bag into the overhead bin is to push it in longitudally and then slide it 90 degrees to fit the bin. Works every time.

laugh.gif

I bought this as I fly a lot for work and it's great. Fits perfectly in the overhead bins. Also fits under the seats if not packed to the brim.
It's super durable material. Really happy with it. It's not rigid other than the bottom middle section so the less you put in it, the more it will compress.

I also use it for 1 night stay-overs in far away cities I visit for work. Fits everything I need for 1 night.

https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Travel-Luggage-Water-Resistant-Pockets/dp/B072LNS82N/ (Canucks, it's sold in Canada too on Amazon.ca)

Bag.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
My take is this.

The only issue is these cheap bags are pretty much trash after a coast to coast flight if you change planes one time each way-if you do need to check it-due to the overheads being full.

Ask me how I know......

I travelled a lot on business. Firm believer in $50 Walmart cheap carry-ons. The expensive ones will get damaged just as bad or worse than the cheapos, cause the luggage people will pay special attention to the expensive bags. Had a cheapo for at least 10 years, no problem. Always gate checked or in the plane with me.
I timed my queuing (cheapest seats), so that I always had overhead space available. Situational awareness.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I bought this as I fly a lot for work and it's great. Fits perfectly in the overhead bins and it's super durable material. Really happy with it. It's not rigid other than the bottom middle section so the less you put in it, the more it will compress.
(Canucks, it's sold in Canada too on Amazon.ca)

Having no wheels gets old in a hurry. The airport walks can get pretty long, US gates at Pearson are quite a walk.
I'm 6 foot 200lbs, why do extra hauling work if you don't have too?

I haul a ton of gear all over the world. Ogio makes the best bags I have ever used.

I have an Ogio Renegade RSS and 2x Ogio Rig 9800's that go everywhere with me.

5.11 makes a great durable bag, but they mark me so I have stopped using them. I never got into the rolling carry-ons. Cumbersome and difficult to maintain positive control over.

Having no wheels gets old in a hurry. The airport walks can get pretty long, US gates at Pearson are quite a walk.
I'm 6 foot 200lbs, why do extra hauling work if you don't have too?

This x1000.

I have the Tom Bihn TriStar bag. It can be a backpack or a shoulder bag. It can carry quite a bit and be cinched down to fit. I've traveled quite a bit in the past several years with this carry on and it still looks new and is fully functional. Also it's made in the USA.

https://www.tombihn.com

I'm 6 foot 200lbs, why do extra hauling work if you don't have to
o?

My aeronauts have hidden backpack straps - fixes that problem and makes gate to gate travel a hands free painless affair.

Carry ons with wheels always greatly reduce capacity and add weight - plus on cobblestone streets like in Amsterdam wheels are a giant pia.

UD

Last edited:
It needs to have wheels. I use a Delsey carry on. Cost about $70. It's been on many, many trips and covered many, many miles on its wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back